c***s on the road

6 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Had a wild one this morning coming in to work.

Driving along the M9, in the overtaking lane. The lane was only marginally faster than the left hand lane. I was passing an Arnold Clark van - I was alongside him but moving only a little bit faster than him. As I passed him, he was making all kinds of gestures to me, the message being that I should have slowed down to let him out.

Anyway, as soon as I pass him, he pulls out behind me and drives for half a mile with his high beam headlights on. I pulled into the left hand lane to let him pass, and he pulled into the lane right in front of me, slammed the brakes, then took off again into the overtaking lane.

A few miles later we hit a touch of traffic and I pass him again. He pulls out behind me and drove for around 5 miles just inches from my bumper. I changed lanes, and he stuck with me. I was starting to think he would follow me to work, and we'd have some sort of altercation in the car park.

Eventually I found a gap when the outside lane was going slow and darted into it, forcing him to undertake me. He by this stage had wound his window down and was screaming abuse at me. I stayed a few car lengths behind him till he turned off the road.

Baldy speccy tube.

I once had a similar experience although a bit of local knowledge led me to stop outside the nearest cop shop and suddenly Mr Roadrage disappeared inexplicably 

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

More generally, I've been driving my wife's car for a couple of weeks whilst mine awaits its appointment to be fixed. The way road users treat folk driving in wee cars like the 500 is very different to how they treat people driving larger cars. I'm normally in a Dacia Duster. I had noticed in the past that when i was in her car there seemed to be a few more idiots around, but this past wee while has really brought it into focus for me.

With the 500, more drivers feel free to drive right up behind you, or cut in in front of you, or just generally be a bit of a bellend.

The solution, is a 500 with a collection of dents, scrapes and mildly loose trim. Add driving with a wee bit of verve and they’ll avoid you like the plague on the assumption your either insane (and will ram them) or incompetent (and might ram them). It also helps when two drivers meet at a junction, right-or-way instantly.

Kinda looking forward to seeing the carnage on the roads here today…a nice wee base of freezing rain, with sleet on top and a little additional mixed precipitation throughout the day. Time to see the little men, driving huge 4x4’s, go pelting off the roads.

My terror was driving off a motorway onto a narrow B road in very heavy rain, followed by a lorry. Given the road conditions and visibility I was going about 50 mph , I'd only recently passed my test and was nervous at the best of times. The lorry started blasting its horn and accelerating within inches of my rear bumper, there was nowhere to pull in, it was like that early Spielberg film with a deranged lorry pursuing a lone driver. Went on for a few miles until there was a straight and I pulled away to give the space to veer off to a side road. Bet the driver was laughing his head off, I didn't hear about the lightly tapping your brake pedal defence till later.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

My terror was driving off a motorway onto a narrow B road in very heavy rain, followed by a lorry. Given the road conditions and visibility I was going about 50 mph , I'd only recently passed my test and was nervous at the best of times. The lorry started blasting its horn and accelerating within inches of my rear bumper, there was nowhere to pull in, it was like that early Spielberg film with a deranged lorry pursuing a lone driver. Went on for a few miles until there was a straight and I pulled away to give the space to veer off to a side road. Bet the driver was laughing his head off, I didn't hear about the lightly tapping your brake pedal defence till later.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067023/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_3

On 31/01/2023 at 08:56, scottsdad said:

Had a wild one this morning coming in to work.

Driving along the M9, in the overtaking lane. The lane was only marginally faster than the left hand lane. I was passing an Arnold Clark van - I was alongside him but moving only a little bit faster than him. As I passed him, he was making all kinds of gestures to me, the message being that I should have slowed down to let him out.

Anyway, as soon as I pass him, he pulls out behind me and drives for half a mile with his high beam headlights on. I pulled into the left hand lane to let him pass, and he pulled into the lane right in front of me, slammed the brakes, then took off again into the overtaking lane.

A few miles later we hit a touch of traffic and I pass him again. He pulls out behind me and drove for around 5 miles just inches from my bumper. I changed lanes, and he stuck with me. I was starting to think he would follow me to work, and we'd have some sort of altercation in the car park.

Eventually I found a gap when the outside lane was going slow and darted into it, forcing him to undertake me. He by this stage had wound his window down and was screaming abuse at me. I stayed a few car lengths behind him till he turned off the road.

Baldy speccy tube.

Similar thing happened to me, although the person cut me up and then tried to force me off the road when I had the audacity to pass him when three lanes opened up, he absolutely shat it though, moved back over and then was raging at this so chased me down the motorway for ages. I've never a seen driver so angry despite them being the cause of the situation. He was level with me at one point him and his mate screaming for me to "pul ower" oddly enough I didn't fancy a 2v1 at like 8am before work. 

Was also a baldy. 

Edited by thistledo

13 hours ago, thistledo said:

Similar thing happened to me, although the person cut me up and then tried to force me off the road when I had the audacity to pass him when three lanes opened up, he absolutely shat it though, moved back over and then was raging at this so chased me down the motorway for ages. I've never a seen driver so angry despite them being the cause of the situation. He was level with me at one point him and his mate screaming for me to "pul ower" oddly enough I didn't fancy a 2v1 at like 8am before work. 

Was also a baldy. 

Managing Clyde must be getting to Jim Duffy 

6 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I'm frankly amazed that we've not seen Mr Williams for this bit yet.

Reveal hidden contents

9fb192d8-c56a-11e8-bccd-5b30791c978e.jpg

Wouldn’t expect Mr. Williams to be hanging around a thread on c**ts…

On the expectations from our little ice event, I was not disappointed…although this is simply a representative example from a couple of weeks ago, they needed a freaking crane to get it off:

image.thumb.jpeg.b94392b6bed5d39a528851fbc3f87fb4.jpeg

Is it just me, or has there been a steady increase in drivers flagrantly just breaking rules in the past few years?

Jumping red lights, parking in disabled bays without a concession card, stopping in hatched areas, ignoring zones for cyclists at traffic lights. 

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

Wouldn’t expect Mr. Williams to be hanging around a thread on c**ts…

On the expectations from our little ice event, I was not disappointed…although this is simply a representative example from a couple of weeks ago, they needed a freaking crane to get it off:

image.thumb.jpeg.b94392b6bed5d39a528851fbc3f87fb4.jpeg

Weirdly I had to cross my legs when I saw that..

2 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Is it just me, or has there been a steady increase in drivers flagrantly just breaking rules in the past few years?

Jumping red lights, parking in disabled bays without a concession card, stopping in hatched areas, ignoring zones for cyclists at traffic lights. 

I paid heed to a zone for cyclists at Gilmerton the other day and then got shouted at by some white van w****r for not going forward as he wanted to reverse out a space.

He was not a nice man that's for sure 

4 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

These two have always been very common as far as I can remember.

4 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I paid heed to a zone for cyclists at Gilmerton the other day and then got shouted at by some white van w****r for not going forward as he wanted to reverse out a space.

He was not a nice man that's for sure 

Was he bald though?

11 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Nah, they just didn't have such 'stuff' in the past - except traffic lights of course. 

Parking is a bit limited in my street. Houses built 50 years ago when cars less common.

Yet the BMW always feels the need to take two spaces. 

I parked my car in front when I returned. As close as I could.

IMG_20230202_172151136.jpg