c***s on the road

Driving with material on the roof of the van and a trailer with a scissor lift, going past spurryhillock towards Dundee and this nugget decided that the person coming off the slip (the I side lane was blocked so we couldn't move) - who had already come to a stop - deserved to get on the road. 60 -> a near standstill within about 10mtrs. If I could have caught up with them after it, I'd have rammed them off the fucking road.

5 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

saw 3 cars on the hard shoulder today on the motorway, towards paisley/renfrew and hillington... 2 of which had women standing at the front of the car furiously scraping their windscreens or skooshing de-icer on them! Guessing they ran out of screenwash and panicked when they couldn't wipe away some spray off the road, but it gave me the fear that someone is going to rush off to work and smash into me soon because they either can't be arsed checking/topping up screenwash or, at the very least, make sure all their mirrors and windows are clear before driving...

Every year it astonishes me. They drive £20/30/40k cars yet baulk at paying £5 for a decent screen wash. Baffling.  

9 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Every year it astonishes me. They drive £20/30/40k cars yet baulk at paying £5 for a decent screen wash. Baffling.  

Probably because theyre spending £600 a month paying for the car.

On 16/01/2023 at 21:23, s_dog said:

Driving towards traffic lights before turning right for slip road onto M8 in Glasgow today, lights were green and a number of cars had already driven through. The lights changed to amber and one car continued but the car right at the traffic lights slammed his brakes on as the light turned to red, just as the guy in the car behind put his foot on the accelerator to nip through. Much laughter from our car as we stopped a bit behind them and watched as the two guys jumped out shouting, "you stopped suddenly" and "the light was at red", much waving and pointing fingers.

Needless to say the pair of fannies didn't bother to put their hazard lights on even once they'd stopped shouting and caused a queue behind them as apart from us no one realised they weren't just stopped at the lights.

Am I right in thinking this is always seen as the fault of the driver who drove into the car in front no matter how suddenly it stopped?

That was always my understanding.

10 hours ago, alta-pete said:

"drive" being the operative word, maybe stretched to the limit financially, £5 in purse, lunch or screenwash?

16 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

saw 3 cars on the hard shoulder today on the motorway, towards paisley/renfrew and hillington... 2 of which had women standing at the front of the car furiously scraping their windscreens or skooshing de-icer on them! Guessing they ran out of screenwash and panicked when they couldn't wipe away some spray off the road, but it gave me the fear that someone is going to rush off to work and smash into me soon because they either can't be arsed checking/topping up screenwash or, at the very least, make sure all their mirrors and windows are clear before driving...

There was probably condensation inside...

18 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I filled my wife's car yesterday as she "didn't know how to open the bonnet".

3 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

Lies - they know full well. They just know that us spanners will do it for them.

There is that possibility, but I'm not looking at it in isolation. There's a bigger picture of incidents that make me question her viability as a functioning member of society.

My missus is similar and when I say similar, she's just an absolute scatter brain. She drives my car every day and I rarely drive it, when I do I get into it, firstly it's a mess, secondly there's about 3 warnings on the display and lastly barely any petrol. 

On the other hand maybe it's for the best. I remember one time her asking "that the window wash bit" pointing to the oil cap.

2 hours ago, thistledo said:

My missus is similar and when I say similar, she's just an absolute scatter brain. She drives my car every day and I rarely drive it, when I do I get into it, firstly it's a mess, secondly there's about 3 warnings on the display and lastly barely any petrol. 

On the other hand maybe it's for the best. I remember one time her asking "that the window wash bit" pointing to the oil cap.

Tbf we've had a lassie in with a car that had been smoking since her boyfriend put oil in it.

He'd filled it up until it came to the filler cap, as youd do with screenwash...

1 hour ago, Newbornbairn said:

I had a girlfriend who tried topping up the oil via the dipstick.

Mind you, she was from Kennoway.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf we've had a lassie in with a car that had been smoking since her boyfriend put oil in it.

He'd filled it up until it came to the filler cap, as youd do with screenwash...

Girlfriend in college just drove her car…one day her dad, a mechanic who rebuilt MG engines in his garage on the side, checked the oil. He ended up adding 3.5 quarts of oil, to an engine that held 5 quarts. Remarkably, he had picked a car that could tolerate that behavior, and it was still running perfectly the last time I saw her.

One of the junctions I use every morning splits into 5 lanes (3 forward, 2 for left turn) before the actual junction, then if you go straight quickly goes back to 2 lanes. I tirn right (and here I can do so on red if it's clear). You would think this right hand lane would be saved for turning right (2 pretty major roads).

Nope. every morning there's at lease one chunt in my lane not turning so I have to sit behind the selfish b*****d waiting for a green light!

1 hour ago, Raidernation said:

One of the junctions I use every morning splits into 5 lanes (3 forward, 2 for left turn) before the actual junction, then if you go straight quickly goes back to 2 lanes. I tirn right (and here I can do so on red if it's clear). You would think this right hand lane would be saved for turning right (2 pretty major roads).

Nope. every morning there's at lease one chunt in my lane not turning so I have to sit behind the selfish b*****d waiting for a green light!

This guy?

image.jpeg.ecc769689e9519e8705bf77df098764b.jpeg