c***s on the road

34 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

To drive a private hire/über in Edinburgh it appears the primary requirement is that you absolutely cannot drive. 

It's the same everywhere it seems. I once got an Uber back to Motherwell from Glasgow. The guy was doing about 40mph on the motorway - even HGVs were overtaking us. 

When we got off the motorway it quickly became apparent that he couldn't negotiate roundabouts either. I ended up getting out about 2 miles before my stop because I genuinely feared for my safety. 

On 14/01/2023 at 11:09, Ron Aldo said:

It's the same everywhere it seems. I once got an Uber back to Motherwell from Glasgow. The guy was doing about 40mph on the motorway - even HGVs were overtaking us. 

When we got off the motorway it quickly became apparent that he couldn't negotiate roundabouts either. I ended up getting out about 2 miles before my stop because I genuinely feared for my safety. 

Automatic Toyotas or electric car taxis often drive like that. 

Was driving back from Edinburgh Airport on Friday morning, west bound along the M8 and took the cut off for the M74. I’m not too familiar with that area but I think it was somewhere near Bellshill, and the traffic came to a complete standstill. It was about 8.30 am so I assumed I had just caught the tail end of the rush hour traffic, but after crawling half a mile along the road in 20 minutes I realised there must be some sort of accident. Took about another 20 minutes to get moving again, and expected to see a police car or even a couple of cars pulled in to the hard shoulder, but everything looked clear.

The reason for the 40 minute delay? A motorbike that had broken down on the other side of the motorway, with the driver standing beside his bike on the central divide. Fair enough slow down a bit if you see someone has had to take refuge on the motorway, but I presume people were slowing down just to have a nosey at him as we were back to motorway speed the second we passed him. 

I guess its the time of year for new drivers to be on the road?

A frankly obscene amount of young c***s (male and female) absolutely thrashing it around Perth in their wee 1.0 shitbox just now.

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I guess its the time of year for new drivers to be on the road?

A frankly obscene amount of young c***s (male and female) absolutely thrashing it around Perth in their wee 1.0 shitbox just now.

I’d love that problem. Unfortunately, here in ‘Merica the new youth driver is just as likely to be in a V-8 Mustang/Camero, a jacked up Chevy V-8 powered pickup or a Ricer with a coffee can fart box exhaust. It would be great if they kept the new drivers to small engined shitboxes, especially if they were also manuals! Here in ‘Merica, the best anti-theft device is a manual, as less than 5% of car thieves can drive one. Officially, 66% say they can drive one, but the actual number is probably closer to 16%..and much lower in the under 35 age group.

5 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I’d love that problem. Unfortunately, here in ‘Merica the new youth driver is just as likely to be in a V-8 Mustang/Camero, a jacked up Chevy V-8 powered pickup or a Ricer with a coffee can fart box exhaust. It would be great if they kept the new drivers to small engined shitboxes, especially if they were also manuals! Here in ‘Merica, the best anti-theft device is a manual, as less than 5% of car thieves can drive one. Officially, 66% say they can drive one, but the actual number is probably closer to 16%..and much lower in the under 35 age group.

Aye but i want to go fast, and inevitably get stuck behind someone thinking 20mph is quick. 

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

I own a manual transmission car! None of my family can drive it 🤣

13 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Insurance for youngsters is prohibitively expensive here meaning they have to drive something low value. Is that not an issue in the US?

It's the car that's insured, not the driver I believe. Plus, in US, getting your licence when you're 16 or 17 is still seen as a 'right' by many.

Yes but the car is insured for a particular driver and any additional drivers. If the additional driver is a 17 year old, the insurance premium jumps up, even more so if the car is of higher value. I think most 17 year olds get a provisional licence here as well if they're in a position to have access to a car, just there's a realisation they're not likely to be driving anything fancy. I'm just wondering why it seems to be different in America.

Driving towards traffic lights before turning right for slip road onto M8 in Glasgow today, lights were green and a number of cars had already driven through. The lights changed to amber and one car continued but the car right at the traffic lights slammed his brakes on as the light turned to red, just as the guy in the car behind put his foot on the accelerator to nip through. Much laughter from our car as we stopped a bit behind them and watched as the two guys jumped out shouting, "you stopped suddenly" and "the light was at red", much waving and pointing fingers.

Needless to say the pair of fannies didn't bother to put their hazard lights on even once they'd stopped shouting and caused a queue behind them as apart from us no one realised they weren't just stopped at the lights.

Am I right in thinking this is always seen as the fault of the driver who drove into the car in front no matter how suddenly it stopped?

Edited by s_dog

1 hour ago, s_dog said:

Driving towards traffic lights before turning right for slip road onto M8 in Glasgow today, lights were green and a number of cars had already driven through. The lights changed to amber and one car continued but the car right at the traffic lights slammed his brakes on as the light turned to red, just as the guy in the car behind put his foot on the accelerator to nip through. Much laughter from our car as we stopped a bit behind them and watched as the two guys jumped out shouting, "you stopped suddenly" and "the light was at red", much waving and pointing fingers.

Needless to say the pair of fannies didn't bother to put their hazard lights on even once they'd stopped shouting and caused a queue behind them as apart from us no one realised they weren't just stopped at the lights.

Am I right in thinking this is always seen as the fault of the driver who drove into the car in front no matter how suddenly it stopped?

Pretty much.  

The guy clattering into the back of the other car has no idea why he stopped suddenly.  A child may have stepped out in front of him for example.

16 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Insurance for youngsters is prohibitively expensive here meaning they have to drive something low value. Is that not an issue in the US?

Define prohibitively. To a certain extent, a car is a near necessity for a teen in a lot of places if they intend to work or if they have to get themselves to school, as mass transit is a fantasy in much of the U.S.

16 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

It's the car that's insured, not the driver I believe. Plus, in US, getting your licence when you're 16 or 17 is still seen as a 'right' by many.

Depends, you can exclude a driver from coverage on a vehicle (keep the teen off the Ferrari to keep costs down), but otherwise it’s slightly cheaper if you have less vehicles than drivers as most insurance companies effectively assign a primary driver to a vehicle for rating purposes. Yes, you can designate which is assigned.

16 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Yes but the car is insured for a particular driver and any additional drivers. If the additional driver is a 17 year old, the insurance premium jumps up, even more so if the car is of higher value. I think most 17 year olds get a provisional licence here as well if they're in a position to have access to a car, just there's a realisation they're not likely to be driving anything fancy. I'm just wondering why it seems to be different in America.

OK, here’s an example. Let’s say you have two newer vehicles on your household coverage, and you pay $1,100 per six months for coverage. Adding a 16 y-o driver will cost between $500 and $1,000 as an additional driver. If you purchase a 5 y-o vehicle for said teen, the additional cost for the teen would be around $1,000 to $2,000 every six months. The range depends on several things, the easiest discounts being good student (grades 3.0+) and driver education training. The sex of the teen is almost irrelevant, but it is slightly cheaper for female than male. These rates are in Texas, a costly state, full coverage and for more than minimum coverage.

Cheers. More expensive than what I thought it would be (and possibly on a par with here). Maybe, as you say, a car is just seen as essential for getting about. We complain about our public transport but at least we have it and where I live in Glasgow there's a train and a number of bus routes to the city centre. 

Two men have been taken to hospital following reports of cows on the loose on the A9 near Perth. Emergency services were called to the scene at the Broxden roundabout after a crash involving a white Ford Transit van, a silver Isuzu D-Max towing a trailer with cattle on board, and a black Audi A6.

From today's BBC.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and bet the accident was caused by the c**t in the Audi.

2 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Cheers. More expensive than what I thought it would be (and possibly on a par with here). Maybe, as you say, a car is just seen as essential for getting about. We complain about our public transport but at least we have it and where I live in Glasgow there's a train and a number of bus routes to the city centre. 

My nearest mass transit would be miles away in a light industrial area, and it connects to a park and drive lot, that allows a connection to downtown to get anywhere else (s**tty route design). The othe roption is a light rail with too few stations and too few trains. You can't get anywhere here without a car.

saw 3 cars on the hard shoulder today on the motorway, towards paisley/renfrew and hillington... 2 of which had women standing at the front of the car furiously scraping their windscreens or skooshing de-icer on them! Guessing they ran out of screenwash and panicked when they couldn't wipe away some spray off the road, but it gave me the fear that someone is going to rush off to work and smash into me soon because they either can't be arsed checking/topping up screenwash or, at the very least, make sure all their mirrors and windows are clear before driving...

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely