c***s on the road

Just discovered yesterday, via the traffic report on the news, that apparently it's mandatory to have your headlights on if your wipers are on in Illinois. Since 1990's.

With that and the number of chunts that abuse the mobile phone laws the PoPo could probably arrest about 90% of drivers here.

49 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Made me look, it was required as of cars starting sales after February 2011 for Europe and UK. Perhaps you mean they aren’t required to be selected?

No, tbh I didn't realise that was a thing!

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

No, tbh I didn't realise that was a thing!

I used to hate it, but find that especially with grey/silver cars and overcast days, the distance you can see traffic at is much better. But, as I said, it seems more and more idiots don’t realize those are only about 30% of headlight brightness and forget their headlights.

1 hour ago, Raidernation said:

Just discovered yesterday, via the traffic report on the news, that apparently it's mandatory to have your headlights on if your wipers are on in Illinois. Since 1990's.

With that and the number of chunts that abuse the mobile phone laws the PoPo could probably arrest about 90% of drivers here.

Absolutely. The general standard of driving in 'Murca is extremely shite.

1 minute ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Reg plate is private and might identify an individual... company are happy to advertise their name and number publicly, so fair game IMO.

I'd have left the plate visible, parking like that makes you fair game imo.

15 hours ago, TxRover said:

That’s a problem that’s occurring more often. My local dealership has taken to instructing its valets (it’s what they call the runners that get cars when people come to pick them up) to check every vehicle for “auto” headlights, and switch them to “auto” when bringing them out front to the customer. Results in a few annoyed old c**ts, but better for the liability.

Are DRL’s (daytime running lights) required in the UK, like in the U.S.? I suspect that DRL’s, when combined with auto headlights, cause many issues. It just seems a lot of drivers simply assume their DRL’s are crappy headlights, without realizing they haven’t even switched the headlights on (happened to my MiL).

My 2015 (UK) Subaru has daytime running lights which I'm sure was a mandatory EU regulation for some years prior to that.

15 hours ago, TxRover said:

Jezzzz, sorry, didn’t want to sound posh…I always thought they were “runners” or “drivers”, while valets were the b*****ds out front of some fancy place that you figure will rummage through your car while they park it.

I was just pulling your leg.  It wasn't so much the word itself, but you explaining what they were when I think pretty much all of us know what a valet is.

Old b*****d in front of me at 7.30am this morning on a country road.  No lights on (I thought) and I nearly ran up his arse.  

Once past him it was apparent his front lights were on,  so the coffin dodger will probably never realise his rear lights are fucked.

17 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I like that you scrubbed out the license plate but left the mobile number in.

Maybe someone from Cowdenbeath who needs a new carpet/flooring will see it and give them a phone.

Free advertising on a site with a huge membership. 

18 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Absolutely. The general standard of driving in 'Murca is extremely shite.

Must be a lot of Irish Americans round where I live...

Edited by Jacksgranda
Sleppnig

On 12/01/2023 at 21:37, Soapy FFC said:

I think I was that c**t today. My car was in for a service and it was still light when I picked it up. I went to the shops and it was dark when I can out, but I only noticed going down the slip road on the motorway that my headlights were off. I forgot that every time the car is in the garage they turn the headlights off instead of being set to auto. I was driving about town for a good 30 minutes in the dark without noticing as I just assumed the lights were on.

Some years back when the work got a new Transit Custom van, it was the first van I'd driven which had daytime running lights and permanently-on instrument lights on the dash. Needless to say, the first time I used it in the dark I was wondering why everyone was flashing their lights and honking their horns at me, since as far as I could tell my lights were on. The running lights were so bright I could see them reflecting off passing signs etc, but obviously the tail lights were off. Minter for me.

2 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

To drive a private hire/über in Edinburgh it appears the primary requirement is that you absolutely cannot drive. 

Secondary requirement is that you are unable to follow directions in google maps.

*Not just Edinburgh