c***s on the road

8 hours ago, alta-pete said:

I’m not a lorry driver but I’ll bite at this. A slip road is not a merge, it’s a give way - traffic on the main carriageway has right of way. You’ll know the HGVs will be doing 56mph, it’s up to you to either get the boot down to get in front of them or ease up early and slide in behind. They are under no obligation to let you in. 

Hide contents

Let the pile on commence…

Absolutely this.  Not just HGVs either. People will often move over out of courtesty but if there is a car on their outside then where do these idiots expect them to go

9 hours ago, alta-pete said:

I’m not a lorry driver but I’ll bite at this. A slip road is not a merge, it’s a give way - traffic on the main carriageway has right of way. You’ll know the HGVs will be doing 56mph, it’s up to you to either get the boot down to get in front of them or ease up early and slide in behind. They are under no obligation to let you in. 

Reveal hidden contents

Let the pile on commence…

A friend of mine who was a very decent human being off the road was a total c**t on it. He used to delight in slowing down to match the speed of lorries on the slip road to block them getting on. He's also the only person I know who died from Covid, so maybe God's got a soft spot for lorry drivers.

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

A friend of mine who was a very decent human being off the road was a total c**t on it. He used to delight in slowing down to match the speed of lorries on the slip road to block them getting on. He's also the only person I know who died from Covid, so maybe God's got a soft spot for lorry drivers.

.........or a hard-on for stupid, selfish cvnts-on-the-road.

4 hours ago, flyingscot said:

Used to happen at Hillington junction of the M8, even after they lengthened the slip lane to help merge. They ended up painting solid white lines to force people to go a good way down. 

On slip roads, I ended up with some muppet raging at me a few months ago for not changing lanes to let them onto the motorway. I slowed slightly and let the car in front of them coming up the sliproad in, but couldn't change lanes because of traffic. There was nothing much behind me so no idea why they sped up rather than just joining behind me.   

The slip road to join from B&Q retail park onto the westbound carriage way is really short, hate it, often see folk stuck at end of it.

Done my test in 2019 and done a lesson on the motorway couple weeks before hand, believe most instructors will try and do it outwith busy times. 

Fog has been quite heavy in the FK last 2 days and some amount c***s with either side lights on or nothing at all.

13 hours ago, RH33 said:

The slip road to join from B&Q retail park onto the westbound carriage way is really short, hate it, often see folk stuck at end of it.

The airport one is even shorter and uphill but the slip road is straight rather than on a curve like B&Q.  Both are pretty bad to merge onto given how heavy traffic is. 

23 hours ago, RH33 said:

Hate that junction too - always felt the inside lane could be “hatched” from previous off slip so that through traffic used middle and outside lanes leaving inside lane clear for joining traffic.

25 minutes ago, Theatom said:

Hate that junction too - always felt the inside lane could be “hatched” from previous off slip so that through traffic used middle and outside lanes leaving inside lane clear for joining traffic.

good drivers move into the middle lane well before they reach the slip road 🚗

22 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

good drivers move into the middle lane well before they reach the slip road 🚗

Agreed, and what I normally do on that stretch but others fill the empty lane - what I’m suggesting is hatch the lane between the two slips thus forcing everyone to be that good driver and use the other two lanes - it’s a short slip and uphill so it eases the problem.

17 hours ago, Theatom said:

Agreed, and what I normally do on that stretch but others fill the empty lane - what I’m suggesting is hatch the lane between the two slips thus forcing everyone to be that good driver and use the other two lanes - it’s a short slip and uphill so it eases the problem.

Given how heavy traffic is on the M8, it really needs the 3 lanes. 

The solution is to completely rebuild junction 27 and move the slip. There was talk of rebuilding the airport one a few years back too. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/11/2022 at 15:51, Boghead ranter said:

Nobody has, seeing as learners aren't allowed on the motorway. 

Most driving schools offer motorway-specific lessons once the pupil has passed, though im not sure how many new drivers bother.

I imagine it is in the low 0%, tbh

On 30/11/2022 at 20:16, mathematics said:

I was not a c**t on the road today (at least, I wasn’t at the planned time slot) as my car decided to empty its battery overnight, for no fucking reason.

Same here - battery charged on Saturday, flat again this morning. Surely not starting it for one day shouldn't leave the battery flat?

12 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Edinburgh transport convenor sets up camera to look at the situation where drivers are making illegal left turns. Catches this c**t who doesn't seem to know the difference between road and pavement...

Whilst I don't condone these drivers ignoring the signs, I need to ask why there is a no left turn there? From what I can see that's the Elm Row/London Road junction and given that London Road is one of the main routes out of the city centre, and Leith Walk is a main route as well, I can't see the need to prevent left turns. However I must say the last time I was there that junction was a roundabout, so I'm not sure what the current set up is.

12 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Edinburgh transport convenor sets up camera to look at the situation where drivers are making illegal left turns. Catches this c**t who doesn't seem to know the difference between road and pavement...

There is some awful driving in that. Some of these people should just be given a bus pass permanently. What on earth is the Honda SUV driver doing, he just misses the right turn and drives over the pavement?