c***s on the road

I was at school with a boy who was a tailgater. He passed his test and it was a white knuckle ride sitting in the car when he was behind the wheel, inches from the bumper in front. No clue how he ever passed his test. 

Years later he crashed his hand glider into the Ochil hills and smashed his leg to pieces, as well as loads of other horrific injuries. Tailgating a hill, ffs. 

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Only once sat passenger to someone who wasn't a tailgater per se, but overtook at the last last last fucking moment despite having miles of room. I don't understand that at all, just do it at a decent distance because why risk it? 

I honestly think some people don't understand the consequences if the other driver even taps the brakes in those situation. As for tailgaters, the few I knew at a job I did where driving was an integral component, stopped being tailgaters after their first accident.

Expensive car turning on to the M73 from a slip road- instead of slowing and letting the two lorries go past and then joining the main road he nips in the gap between them causing the rear lorry to break. I just don't get the mentality really.

Also folk that drive with their fog light on when it's not foggy. Do most cars not have a light on the dashboard showing the fog lights on?

5 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Expensive car turning on to the M73 from a slip road- instead of slowing and letting the two lorries go past and then joining the main road he nips in the gap between them causing the rear lorry to break. I just don't get the mentality really.

Also folk that drive with their fog light on when it's not foggy. Do most cars not have a light on the dashboard showing the fog lights on?

They paid for that fog light, they want it on, damn it! Personally, I’d have preferred the second truck plowed the moron over.

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

Fog lights!

You drive behind a car for 10 miles, there's a wee bit of fog so they put their fog lights on.  I know you're there, I've been driving behind you for 10 miles.

Don't get me started on the fuckers that think that they are actually rain lights.

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

The lorries should also be paying attention to what's on the slip and allowing people to merge, the amount of times I've seen people stopped at the end of slips because convoys of these ignorant c***s refuse to allow people to get in.

1 hour ago, Empty It said:

The lorries should also be paying attention to what's on the slip and allowing people to merge, the amount of times I've seen people stopped at the end of slips because convoys of these ignorant c***s refuse to allow people to get in.

I’m not a lorry driver but I’ll bite at this. A slip road is not a merge, it’s a give way - traffic on the main carriageway has right of way. You’ll know the HGVs will be doing 56mph, it’s up to you to either get the boot down to get in front of them or ease up early and slide in behind. They are under no obligation to let you in. 

Spoiler

Let the pile on commence…

It's one of the very common errors these days. Slip roads are for accelerating to merge into the flow of traffic or to decelerate once leaving the carriageway. People seem to think they can toddle down them at 30mph and everyone else should move to accommodate their entry. 

People on the carriageway are under no obligation whatsoever to alter their position to let you merge. Of course many do/will and this makes life a lot easier. 

However if you find yourself at the end of the slip road having to stop and give way then you've only yourself to blame. 

3 hours ago, alta-pete said:

I’m not a lorry driver but I’ll bite at this. A slip road is not a merge, it’s a give way - traffic on the main carriageway has right of way. You’ll know the HGVs will be doing 56mph, it’s up to you to either get the boot down to get in front of them or ease up early and slide in behind. They are under no obligation to let you in. 

Hide contents

Let the pile on commence…

Nah agree with everything you say, people that come down the sliproads at 30 then struggle to get in are idiots, if you can't merge at higher speeds you shouldn't be driving. Its when there is a convoy of the p***ks nose to tail with no gap between 2/3 HGVs.

29 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Doesn't everyone actually do this in their lessons? Merging first time is bit scary but you realise quickly that getting up to speed makes it easy AF. 

The basic problem here is that obvious apparently isn’t to the majority of our fellow travelers.

4 hours ago, Trackdaybob said:

However if you find yourself at the end of the slip road having to stop and give way

Many people escaping or entering the kingdom do this at the start of the slip road causing my heads gone.

Edited by 101

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Doesn't everyone actually do this in their lessons? Merging first time is bit scary but you realise quickly that getting up to speed makes it easy AF. 

Don't think I had any motorway driving in my lessons but I've never had a problem getting on them, it's obvious that you use the sliproad to match the speed of the traffic.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Many people escaping or entering the kingdom do this at the start of the slip road causing my heads gone.

Used to happen at Hillington junction of the M8, even after they lengthened the slip lane to help merge. They ended up painting solid white lines to force people to go a good way down. 

On slip roads, I ended up with some muppet raging at me a few months ago for not changing lanes to let them onto the motorway. I slowed slightly and let the car in front of them coming up the sliproad in, but couldn't change lanes because of traffic. There was nothing much behind me so no idea why they sped up rather than just joining behind me.   

5 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Nobody has, seeing as learners aren't allowed on the motorway. 

Most driving schools offer motorway-specific lessons once the pupil has passed, though im not sure how many new drivers bother.

I did but that's because I learned to drive in Germany. You'll be driving a Golf, for example, in urban areas but once you go out on the autobahn, it's the big dog.........

in my case it was an E-class Merc. 300.  Wunderbar !

23 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Nobody has, seeing as learners aren't allowed on the motorway. 

Most driving schools offer motorway-specific lessons once the pupil has passed, though im not sure how many new drivers bother.

I think they are now, sure that changed last year or earlier this.