c***s on the road

Drove up the A82 / A87 heading north for the weekend, bliss when the tourist season is over and the driving standards return to normal. However, it's the largest amount of stags and deer I've ever encountered in one night, Cluanie was like an obstacle course of them, think it's rutting season, but even still it was unreal. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Empty It said:

People that have their headlights pointed as high as possible, bonus points if they're newer LED headlights. If you can't see with your lights pointed at the road then you shouldn't be driving.

How much of that is choice, is that how the lights are set in the factory and people just to stupid to change it? Either way it should attract a death sentence.

I did 25 miles on the M5 last week before realising that there wasn't just an unusually large number of twats flashing their lights at me for no reason and that i in fact was driving in the dark with only my sidelights on. I think my high carrot diet saved me. 

^c**t on road. 

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

How much of that is choice, is that how the lights are set in the factory and people just to stupid to change it? Either way it should attract a death sentence.

If people are too stupid to adjust their lights then murder is too good for them.

5 hours ago, coprolite said:

I did 25 miles on the M5 last week before realising that there wasn't just an unusually large number of twats flashing their lights at me for no reason and that i in fact was driving in the dark with only my sidelights on. I think my high carrot diet saved me. 

^c**t on road. 

I did that for a couple of months after passing my driving test, never had a lesson after dark. I just thought I had terrible night vision. 

35 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I did that for a couple of months after passing my driving test, never had a lesson after dark. I just thought I had terrible night vision. 

Did the same in a horrific rainstorm on the M90 just after passing, couldn't find the button for it until the rain stopped. 

4 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Did the same in a horrific rainstorm on the M90 just after passing, couldn't find the button for it until the rain stopped. 

Rented a Corsa last weekend and the light switches were hidden under the dashboard where the boot and petrol cap releases normally go. Had to park up in a layby and google the manual. :lol:

46 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

With my Duster, the headlights seem to be directed at the road 2 feet from the front of the car. Unless I have full beams on, no visibility at all. And no knob or switch to direct them upwards.

I had this same problem, different car. Turned out that the height sensor, which controls the beam angle depending on the load in the rear, was goosed.

Whilst on the subject, my mum was in a minor accident on Friday. She was taking my sister to an event at a country house, and there were no external lights on at the place at all. Even with full beams on, she couldn't see. People apparently were tripping up getting into the place as it was so dark.

Anyway, she tried to do a 3 point turn (the road ended at the door of the place) in pitch black, and put her car in a ditch.

The manager was an arse - just laughed and said it was the second car this week that had done that.

8 hours ago, scottsdad said:

With my Duster, the headlights seem to be directed at the road 2 feet from the front of the car. Unless I have full beams on, no visibility at all. And no knob or switch to direct them upwards.

I have a Sandero- the knob is on the right of the steering wheel.

Spoiler

Okay, okay, the knob is sitting in the driver's seat. Happy now?

21 hours ago, coprolite said:

^c**t on road. 

It’s actually more common now than 20-30 years ago. With the introduction of fancy instrument clusters, you no longer have to turn on the vehicle’s lights to light up the dash. In the old days, you couldn’t see the freaking dash at night unless you had at least some lights on, now you get people driving for hours with no lights…and, even better, people who do stain to use the auto headlight setting and forget!

52 minutes ago, TxRover said:

It’s actually more common now than 20-30 years ago. With the introduction of fancy instrument clusters, you no longer have to turn on the vehicle’s lights to light up the dash. In the old days, you couldn’t see the freaking dash at night unless you had at least some lights on, now you get people driving for hours with no lights…and, even better, people who do stain to use the auto headlight setting and forget!

You need to come to Scotland for a week or two.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

My old Audi was clever. The dash is illuminated during the day but as the daylight faded, if you didn’t turn the lights on, it would dial down the illumination until it eventually dawned on you that something was needing done.

That does however presuppose that you, as an Audi driver, have any sort of relationship with your speedometer….