c***s on the road

On 13/08/2022 at 13:11, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Saw a right fucking roaster earlier. Sat at the traffic lights at Tesco Kingsway, tooting his horn, window down effing and jeffing and flicking the vickys.

Disgusting. Reported him to the Dundee polis.

Right, right

You're bloody well right

You've got a bloody right to say

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now before I start my rant just let me say that I am usually respectful of bikers, letting them overtake me on the road, giving them plenty of room etc 

But to the wee learner fannies I saw today I had right of way, you didn't and if you keep up that arrogant attitude you'll find out soon enough why you are referred to as "organ donors"

On 11/09/2022 at 11:51, 101 said:

Stopping or standing in the fast lane of a live motorway to get a fleeting glimpse of a motorcade, lots of c***s on the road today. Hope the polis eviscerate them for such stupid behaviour.

Missed this before, reminds me of an incident at DFW airport. They used to have huge electronic signs, literally 15 metres tall and 8 metres wide, three of them in a series, listing flights and gates. Of course, some idiots stopped on the spine road to read them…now this is a limited access, 55 mph highway. The final straw was a limo driver stopped on the roadway, in the fast lane, and GOT OUT of the car to read the sign and see where he had to go. His vehicle was plastered by another car, causing severe injuries to himself, his passenger, and a family of four in the other car.

I've discovered folk in Inverness have a very avant garde approach to roundabouts and lane discipline on them. 

Also the road up by the BBC is so covered by lines and cycle lanes it ends up giving the impression  it's single track and cars veer around trying to avoid head on collisions. 

16 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

I've discovered folk in Inverness have a very avant garde approach to roundabouts and lane discipline on them. 

Also the road up by the BBC is so covered by lines and cycle lanes it ends up giving the impression  it's single track and cars veer around trying to avoid head on collisions. 

I can confirm the accuracy of both these statements. I suspect the same people who planned the cycle lanes on Culduthel Road on magic mushrooms also designed the Inshes roundabout, so it's not all the drivers' fault.

The majority of drivers are completely oblivious of anything other than their own vehicle and their need to get to where ever it is they wish to as quickly as possible.

The dual carriageway between Moneymore and Cookstown was closed yesterday due to a serious accident - a man was killed - and we were diverted round country roads.The majority of drivers had no conception of distances, widths , driving conditions or what was happening further up the road.

On the way home one driver in particulr braked whenever another vehicle approached.

Half these c****s shouldn't be on the roads.

The Glenshane Road is closed for 48 hours between the Castledawson roundabout and the bottom of our road. and traffic is being diverted through Castledawson. Absolute carnage, people just boring on, giving no heed to articulated lorries attempting to manouevre up the street with cars parked on both sides. 

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I can confirm the accuracy of both these statements. I suspect the same people who planned the cycle lanes on Culduthel Road on magic mushrooms also designed the Inshes roundabout, so it's not all the drivers' fault.

Completely agree with the shambles that is Culduthel Road. Inshes roundabout is horrendous because it never had a plan from the start. When the Inshes Co-op opened the roundabout was upgraded to accommodate the extra traffic. I don't think there was an exit to take you north on the A9 and the distributor road hadn't been conceived. They just kept adding new exits with no thought to how it would affect traffic flow.

It’s quite amusing to read the travails, and then watch the locals around here learning to cope with roundabouts. They only starting installing a few around here about 10 years ago, and those were simple, one lane jobs. Starting about 3 years ago they got more serious and started with some dual lane roundabouts on a couple of main roads…total nightmare, and only slowly getting better. The drivers here are terrified of roundabouts and make all sorts of weird stop-start-stop maneuvers and seem quite unsure about right-of-way.

The most fun about this was I had my 16 year-old out driving, getting ready for her driving test in a couple of weeks (parent taught drivers education…she does classes online, and we have a syllabus to follow for a minimum of 44 hours in various conditions…we’ve probably quadrupled that). So we approach a roundabout, she hates them, and the SUV in front of us manages to enter the roundabout properly, but then brakes sharply for a car approaching the next entry (who has to give way to the SUV, if a factor, but who is in a protected lane for moving over one exit) and is actually no factor at all. My daughter, the timid learner, simply says “what a moron” and nips around them on the next two lane section. Atta girl!

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

It’s quite amusing to read the travails, and then watch the locals around here learning to cope with roundabouts. They only starting installing a few around here about 10 years ago, and those were simple, one lane jobs. Starting about 3 years ago they got more serious and started with some dual lane roundabouts on a couple of main roads…total nightmare, and only slowly getting better. The drivers here are terrified of roundabouts and make all sorts of weird stop-start-stop maneuvers and seem quite unsure about right-of-way.

The most fun about this was I had my 16 year-old out driving, getting ready for her driving test in a couple of weeks (parent taught drivers education…she does classes online, and we have a syllabus to follow for a minimum of 44 hours in various conditions…we’ve probably quadrupled that). So we approach a roundabout, she hates them, and the SUV in front of us manages to enter the roundabout properly, but then brakes sharply for a car approaching the next entry (who has to give way to the SUV, if a factor, but who is in a protected lane for moving over one exit) and is actually no factor at all. My daughter, the timid learner, simply says “what a moron” and nips around them on the next two lane section. Atta girl!

Here we have plenty of roundabouts but, after 7 years (not a driver here) I'm none the wiser on the rules as there is zero consistency. Same with giving way at junctions and over/undertaking.  The other ex-pats who do drive say the same - it's the law of the jungle where the biggest vehicles take priority. 

Only thing you can rely on is that as a foreigner you will be held responsible for any accident unless you have bullet-proof evidence to the contrary. All cars, even the newer ones, have bumps, scrapes and scratches as standard. 

I take taxis - cheap enough and less stress.

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Spain seem to have the simplest rules on roundabouts - put your foot down and get on and off as fast as possible

And pick a lane and stick to it, even if it is the wrong one.

Drivers entering a roundabout can't take anything for granted about where the current roundabout occupants are exiting.

19 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Those lanes aren't wide enough for a car.

And? You realise you are allowed to cross the broken white lines and drive in the cycle lanes? The road from the hatching is about 6.3m wide, that should be enough for two way traffic. 

My local council installed a cycle lane on what was previously a busy road with 2 lanes. They put down those small rubber bollards to separate the cycle lane from the cars, but for some reason only used about three quarters of the inside lane.

I haven’t witnessed it myself but a neighbour told me the cyclists are still using the main road, because the cycle lane is too narrow for the road sweepers to get in and clean them, and they have been getting punctures from the debris left there. 

Renfrewshire council spent about 12 weeks installing these same cycles lanes through Elderslie and in to Johnstone, only to remove them about 6 weeks later because the bollards had been so ridiculously placed at certain junctions that cars were getting damaged by them and the road layout became a mess.