c***s on the road

13 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Shout out to the m140i driver who

- blatantly ran a red light (turning left) on me while i was waiting to turn right, no filter lane just a normal junction

- slowed to about 2mph for every set of bumps for the next 10 minutes of driving as their suspension is so low (begs the question why they just haaaaad to go through that light in the fucking first place, barely saved them any time anyway)

- had a pug sticking out her driver side window, clearly in her lap while driving

A class act all round 👍

Wid though?

Clicked into some terrible click bait but saw this discussion.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/woman-argues-learning-drive-should-24144063?fbclid=IwAR3Y-oe5IKLzg0cKHVkixvS_EHDkgl-PDaB0PF6lj_e34u04aTYPTexNiOA

There are a few people in my family who don’t drive. My wife never learned and so I have to do all the driving. It doesn’t bother me and means we are more environmentally friendly by only having one car. We didn’t have a car at all until we were in our 30s and moved out of the city, it’s not something you need in the centre of Edinburgh.

Even so, I could drive so could hire a car or van if we needed to. I’m happy to give people lifts but I know some people who get really ratty about it.

Do P&Bers think being able to drive is an expected lift skill or is it a luxury nowadays?

52 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/woman-argues-learning-drive-should-24144063?fbclid=IwAR3Y-oe5IKLzg0cKHVkixvS_EHDkgl-PDaB0PF6lj_e34u04aTYPTexNiOA

There are a few people in my family who don’t drive. My wife never learned and so I have to do all the driving. It doesn’t bother me and means we are more environmentally friendly by only having one car. We didn’t have a car at all until we were in our 30s and moved out of the city, it’s not something you need in the centre of Edinburgh.

Even so, I could drive so could hire a car or van if we needed to. I’m happy to give people lifts but I know some people who get really ratty about it.

Do P&Bers think being able to drive is an expected lift skill or is it a luxury nowadays?

In my own experience, people who don't drive more often than not rely on folk who do drive for them to do things they want to do. When you have a public transport system as shit as Scotlands I think it becomes pretty essential too. I do think the driving test should be a bit more extensive though, the current system lets too many morons through the net for me. 

Headed down south yesterday, the amount of people driving while using a phone on the motorway was shocking. Guy driving a dodgy RO registered merc sprinter while watching something on his phone, big e class merc cutting us up while driver was on phone and a cyclist on the M1 were the highlights.

8 minutes ago, Ekhibee88 said:

Headed down south yesterday, the amount of people driving while using a phone on the motorway was shocking. Guy driving a dodgy RO registered merc sprinter while watching something on his phone, big e class merc cutting us up while driver was on phone and a cyclist on the M1 were the highlights.

Combine that with "smart motorways" it's an absolute shambles.

I don't get the current fad of regurgitating discussions on mumsnet or reddit and passing it off as reporting. They seem to draw the line at P & B though.

Being able to drive is a life skill if you need it for your job to visit sites, patients or the like. I know someone who works in social work and visits people in their homes by public transport. She must make about half the number of visits as her colleagues.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

My mrs doesn’t drive and it would come handy now and again if she did but the balance of more cost, running costs and repairs plus the environmental side we couldn’t justify having 2 cars at the moment.

Just been down to visit friends in Manchester and the standard of driving on the motorway down south seems far worse than it is here.

Folk sitting in the middle / outside lane for miles on end. Mirror, signal, manoeuvre just seems to be signal, manoeuvre. There was also a fair amount of drivers easily battering along at well over 100mph.

Aye, I've mentioned it before but since a change in my job I've been doing a lot more driving in England and the standard is awful. 

On the M5 last week, a VW Scirocco roared up behind me as I was overtaking a line of traffic, tailgating and flashing his lights. So I pulled in after the overtake and he sped by to tailgate the next car, flashing his lights etc etc. A few miles up the road I caught up with him dawdling along in the middle lane at 60 so he obviously wasn't on his way to an emergency. Two young lads. So I passed them but about 15 minutes later, he roared up behind me again, flashing his lights again.

Fukkit. I pulled alongside a lorry and just matched speed. The two lads behind were going apoplectic until they eventually swerved into the inside lane and undertook a lorry on the hard shoulder before weaving into the outside lane again. 

3 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I don't get the current fad of regurgitating discussions on mumsnet or reddit and passing it off as reporting. They seem to draw the line at P & B though.

Being able to drive is a life skill if you need it for your job to visit sites, patients or the like. I know someone who works in social work and visits people in their homes by public transport. She must make about half the number of visits as her colleagues.

I wish we'd had her, we'd have never got a visit.

I am happy to give folk a lift but before I passed my test (at the age of 38), I rarely asked others to drive me anywhere. I don't like imposing on people although I quite often become the imposed.

11 hours ago, The Moonster said:

In my own experience, people who don't drive more often than not rely on folk who do drive for them to do things they want to do. When you have a public transport system as shit as Scotlands I think it becomes pretty essential too. I do think the driving test should be a bit more extensive though, the current system lets too many morons through the net for me. 

Yeah, when we didn’t have a car we lived within walking distance of my work and had an excellent bus service. That’s not the case in most places in Scotland. If we ever needed to move stuff or make a long journey I’d hire a van or car.

I've just had an excellent experience of joined up Scottish public transport. Bus from Inverness to Ullapool connecting faultlessly with the ferry to Stornoway, and the same on the way back, along with a punctual and reliable service going around Lewis. Buses all free if you're old enough, and not that much for the ferry.  

16 hours ago, ICTChris said:

One of my older brothers cant drive, and i vividly remember years ago being absolutely seething at him when he wanted a lift to town to pick up his meds prescription before the pharmacy closed. Now i *would* have been fine with it, the problem was that he just assumed i would stop whatever i was doing and give him a run down.

I cant mind the exact wording but instead of something like "ive got an to go to the pharmacy in a few hours can you give me a lift into town, its only a 10 minute drive?" it was "oh i need a lift into town, and by the way the pharmacy shuts in about 20 minutes so we'd better get going." I think i told him to f**k off at first but he put on a big guilt trip that he wouldnt make the pharmacy in time if he had to walk it. Ended up taking him down not least as my mum sighed and asked me a bit more nicely to do it (probably also because if i didnt she'd have had to)

As with most things in life getting the courtesy of plenty of notice is fine, its when folk are springing stuff on you and treating you as their own wee chauffeur that it starts to get frustrating.

On 05/06/2022 at 13:23, Ron Aldo said:

Just been down to visit friends in Manchester and the standard of driving on the motorway down south seems far worse than it is here.

Folk sitting in the middle / outside lane for miles on end. Mirror, signal, manoeuvre just seems to be signal, manoeuvre. There was also a fair amount of drivers easily battering along at well over 100mph.

Yes, noticed this particularly down Birmingham and London. I was up in Scotland recently and can tell the difference, still plenty of bad drivers.  The scottish motorways are notably quieter.

On 06/06/2022 at 01:10, Thistle_do_nicely said:

As with most things in life getting the courtesy of plenty of notice is fine, its when folk are springing stuff on you and treating you as their own wee chauffeur that it starts to get frustrating.

One of my friends asked me to drive to Glasgow to pick her up at daft o'clock one night so that she didn't have to get a train home. I was working early in the morning so said I could not pick her up.

I feel guilty about this because I never saw her again. She died suddenly a couple of weeks later.

9 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

One of my friends asked me to drive to Glasgow to pick her up at daft o'clock one night so that she didn't have to get a train home. I was working early in the morning so said I could not pick her up.

I feel guilty about this because I never saw her again. She died suddenly a couple of weeks later.

The Curse of Richey Edwards.