c***s on the road

Just now, Loonytoons said:

But he only slammed on the brakes because you were tailgating him.
If you had thought he may have been desperate to get back to someone in distress you wouldn't have chased him.

In what world does tailgating someone mean the person in front can potentially cause a fatal accident. I’ve had cars tailgating me plenty of times and the absolute last thing on my mind is to slam on the brakes, because the chances are there’s going to a bad accident. 

5 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

That did cross my mind. Absolutely. Although if you were in such a situation yourself, you probably wouldn’t slam on your brakes at 60mph near coming to a complete halt, and potentially causing a bad accident. The flashing of the head lights is a dick move, but not the end of the world. Trying your best to cause an accident at 60mph is though, and I didn’t really fancy letting him get away with it. (Although as yet he has). 

Which is also exactly what you were doing by tailgating him at 60mph and following him for miles.

7 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

That did cross my mind. Absolutely. Although if you were in such a situation yourself, you probably wouldn’t slam on your brakes at 60mph near coming to a complete halt, and potentially causing a bad accident. The flashing of the head lights is a dick move, but not the end of the world. Trying your best to cause an accident at 60mph is though, and I didn’t really fancy letting him get away with it. (Although as yet he has). 

It wasn't a white car with yellow and orange stripes and a few blue lights on the roof was it?

Just now, eez-eh said:

Which is also exactly what you were doing by tailgating him at 60mph and following him for miles.

I was trying to dish out retrospective punishment for his initial actions. It’s this guy doing it just now, but if he doesn’t get taught a harsh and sore lesson then in a few months time the motorway will be full of guys doing it. I’m trying to nip it in the bud just now, for the good of everyone, and I would have thought people would have been a bit more appreciative tbh. 

In what world does tailgating someone mean the person in front can potentially cause a fatal accident. I’ve had cars tailgating me plenty of times and the absolute last thing on my mind is to slam on the brakes, because the chances are there’s going to a bad accident. 

You missed the point.
You stated you had thought he may have had a reason for driving like a nutter but decided to chase him anyway.
Also tailgating someone can also potentially cause a fatal accident.

I was trying to dish out retrospective punishment for his initial actions. It’s this guy doing it just now, but if he doesn’t get taught a harsh and sore lesson then in a few months time the motorway will be full of guys doing it. I’m trying to nip it in the bud just now, for the good of everyone, and I would have thought people would have been a bit more appreciative tbh. 
Ahaha. Your correct, there are now two guys driving like lunatics.

5 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

You missed the point.
You stated you had thought he may have had a reason for driving like a nutter but decided to chase him anyway.
Also tailgating someone can also potentially cause a fatal accident.

Okay I will play along. I agree tailgating CAN cause a fatal accident, but so can changing lanes. Slamming on your brakes when you know someone is close behind you was a deliberate act with the aim of causing an accident. 

Btw it wasn’t like he just tapped the brakes so the light came on, he went from 60 to almost stone dead, so he’s absolutely jumped on the brake pedal. If your happy with someone trying to do that to you then wire in. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

13 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Trying your best to cause an accident at 60mph is though, and I didn’t really fancy letting him get away with it. (Although as yet he has). 

Perhaps you can check notes with your fellow vigilante drivers who joined in with your reckless pursuit?

Or maybe everyone else simply got out the way, shook their heads in disbelief and started singing along to the radio.

7 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Had a new one last Monday morning, driving along a moderately busy M8 between Renfrew and Braehead at about 7.20am. I was in the outside lane doing about 60, loads of cars infront of me doing the same, loads of cars in the middle and inside lanes going a bit slower. Out of nowhere I’ve got an old silver VW Golf, flashing his lights at me and almost driving up my bumper. It’s a bit strange for someone to be doing that in morning rush hour traffic as there’s about a hundred other cars ahead of me. It took me a minute to fathom what was going on and I started to think it must be someone I know who has spotted my car and is flashing to get my attention, so I pull into the middle lane and have a look across as they pass.

My worst fears were realised when it became apparent that this guy was genuinely trying to force his way through traffic by flashing his lights and driving up peoples arses. I pulled back out behind him and decided to take a bit of revenge by doing similar to him as he was doing to the car infront. This pellet has then slammed on his brakes to an almost standstill, my Greggs Mexican Chicken Ovalbite flew off the passenger seat and hit the dashboard at such a velocity that it was no longer oval, and if it wasn’t for my almost ‘Formula 1 driver’ reaction time, I would have went right in to the back of him. As you can imagine this made me extremely angry, as although I don’t actually have a child, I’m of an age where I could have a child, and that hypothetical child could have been killed if it wasn’t for my aforementioned world class reaction time.

The red mist had descended by this point and I probably wasn’t thinking rationally, but I decided that I would follow his car to its final destination where I was hoping to participate in physical aggression against this man by striking him repeatedly in the face with my fist, and maybe kicking his wing mirror off in an act of pettiness if the chance arose. Unfortunately he became aware I was following his vehicle, and made a number of dangerous manoeuvres along the M8 and subsequently the M74, as he fled in a state of panic and desperation. I decided to call off the pursuit when I could no longer see his vehicle, and also because I was 25 minutes late for work. Hopefully the feeling of terror he experienced as I chased him along the motorway means he won’t try to flash his lights and bully people out of the road in the future. 

^^^ Audi driver ^^^ :)

Okay I will play along. I agree tailgating CAN cause a fatal accident, but so can changing lanes. Slamming on your brakes when you know someone is close behind you was a deliberate act with the aim of causing an accident. 

Bte it wasn’t like he just tapped the brakes so the light came on, he went from 60 to almost stone dead, so he’s absolutely jumped on the brake pedal. If your happy with someone trying to do that to you then wire in. 
I wouldn't be tailgating him in the first place tbqhwy.

Just now, Funky Nosejob said:

Perhaps you can check notes with your fellow vigilante drivers who joined in with your reckless pursuit?

Or maybe everyone else simply got out the way, shook their heads in disbelief and started singing along to the radio.

And if everyone was to do that then the roads would fall in to a state of lawlessness, where the rules of the road no longer exist and the biggest bully prospers. That’s not what I want for future generations of drivers, everyone benefits when the drivers acting like dicks get taught a harsh lesson and fall in line with the rest of us. 

I suspect he drives a black Firebird Transam with a red pulsing neon light on the bonnet. Righting wrongs in the Cambuslang region.
Pretends the voices he hears in his head is his car talking to him.

25 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Well that’s your opinion and your welcome to it. It definitely did happen, and if my request to have the motorway CCTV footage from Braehead to Cambuslang is granted I will post the video on here. 

Would that not also show you tailgating him?

13 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'm not sure about this giving pedestrians the right of way when crossing a side road off a main road, could lead to a few hammering of brakes and shunts from behind when there isn't a clear view. Moreover, how come you can only find out about this by googling it, along with the hugely expensive changes to the smoke detector rules? You'd think if they were half serious about it they'd have at least a leafleting campaign and a few tv adverts.

Tbf the smoke alarm advert has been on TV for months.

As for the highway code they will just say "you should regularly read the highway code"

I'm off out to walk in front of cars at junctions. Wish me luck, I've been practising my compo face.