c***s on the road

Hey look!  Our racists have made a convoy!  

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/trucker-convoy-canada-freedom-ottowa-b2002815.html

Currently like 2 miles from my house, but not overly dramatic from what I can  tell (apart from the nasty rhetoric and downright stupidity of their demands)

FKNKJe2XwA4Vtoa.jpg

Edited by senorsoupe

1 hour ago, Day of the Lords said:
1 hour ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:
Is everyone looking forward to the Highway Code changes from this weekend?

Not much is actually changing imo, other than fat Audi drivers getting even angrier that they aren't meant to run over pedestrians or cut up cyclists.

^^^ drives a Nissan. 

I'm not sure about this giving pedestrians the right of way when crossing a side road off a main road, could lead to a few hammering of brakes and shunts from behind when there isn't a clear view. Moreover, how come you can only find out about this by googling it, along with the hugely expensive changes to the smoke detector rules? You'd think if they were half serious about it they'd have at least a leafleting campaign and a few tv adverts.

Edited by welshbairn

4 minutes ago, morrison said:

There's nothing wrong with what HD said.

If you're wearing reflective gear & have lights on your bike, you're not a halfwit. Seems fair enough.

2 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

Are you saying that some of them wearing all black and having no lights while cycling in the dark are being sensible?

Actually, I misread what he said. 

Mea culpa etc. 

Put me in the c**t corner for the evening, sorry.....

I'm not sure about this giving pedestrians the right of way when crossing a side road off a main road, could lead to a few hammering of brakes and shunts from behind when there isn't a clear view. Moreover, how come you can only find out about this by googling it, along with the hugely expensive changes to the smoke detector rules? You'd think if they were half serious about it they'd have at least a leafleting campaign and a few tv adverts.
This exactly. Even if someone is loitering on a corner you've got to stop and wait until you're sure they aren't crossing.

In some ways it's not a bad change but anyone turning left off a main road should be looking to see if it's safe anyway.
Anyone thinking of crossing the road should be checking to see is if 1.5 tonnes of metal is likely to hit them.

Putting the sole responsibility on drivers is mental. By and by, when I passed my test so many years ago, I was taught by my instructor to prioritise pedestrians, cyclists, horses, motor bikes then cars. That was 35 years ago so what's changed?

Also, the stuff they had on national news last week covering this, used real footage evidence of a biker getting wiped out when he went past a parked car and the offside passenger opened the door on him.
The biker was 90% to blame. He tried to squeeze through and undertake another car rather than wait in the queue. Mental that they used that as an example of poor behaviour from motorists.

I hope they start pointing out to cyclists that when there is a cycling path they should be on it rather than the road. Riverside Drive in Dundee being a prime example.

Already kinda have this here in ‘murca, right turn instead of left obviously (cos we drive on the wrong side).
Seems to work ok

28 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

Already kinda have this here in ‘murca, right turn instead of left obviously (cos we drive on the wrong side).
Seems to work ok

Posted this earlier in the thread, but its roundabouts that are going to give me the fear - i think you'll now be meant to pretty much stop at the exit to let people cross if someone is waiting at the side. Could be problematic since you're far more used to just giving way to the right out of habit, but now have to also be ready to give way to pedestrians at the exit/for traffic in front of you to do it.

Might be not too bad at other junctions.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Had a new one last Monday morning, driving along a moderately busy M8 between Renfrew and Braehead at about 7.20am. I was in the outside lane doing about 60, loads of cars infront of me doing the same, loads of cars in the middle and inside lanes going a bit slower. Out of nowhere I’ve got an old silver VW Golf, flashing his lights at me and almost driving up my bumper. It’s a bit strange for someone to be doing that in morning rush hour traffic as there’s about a hundred other cars ahead of me. It took me a minute to fathom what was going on and I started to think it must be someone I know who has spotted my car and is flashing to get my attention, so I pull into the middle lane and have a look across as they pass.

My worst fears were realised when it became apparent that this guy was genuinely trying to force his way through traffic by flashing his lights and driving up peoples arses. I pulled back out behind him and decided to take a bit of revenge by doing similar to him as he was doing to the car infront. This pellet has then slammed on his brakes to an almost standstill, my Greggs Mexican Chicken Ovalbite flew off the passenger seat and hit the dashboard at such a velocity that it was no longer oval, and if it wasn’t for my almost ‘Formula 1 driver’ reaction time, I would have went right in to the back of him. As you can imagine this made me extremely angry, as although I don’t actually have a child, I’m of an age where I could have a child, and that hypothetical child could have been killed if it wasn’t for my aforementioned world class reaction time.

The red mist had descended by this point and I probably wasn’t thinking rationally, but I decided that I would follow his car to its final destination where I was hoping to participate in physical aggression against this man by striking him repeatedly in the face with my fist, and maybe kicking his wing mirror off in an act of pettiness if the chance arose. Unfortunately he became aware I was following his vehicle, and made a number of dangerous manoeuvres along the M8 and subsequently the M74, as he fled in a state of panic and desperation. I decided to call off the pursuit when I could no longer see his vehicle, and also because I was 25 minutes late for work. Hopefully the feeling of terror he experienced as I chased him along the motorway means he won’t try to flash his lights and bully people out of the road in the future. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Had a new one last Monday morning, driving along a moderately busy M8 between Renfrew and Braehead at about 7.20am. I was in the outside land doing about 60, loads of cars infront of me doing the same, loads of cars in the middle and inside lanes going a bit slower. Out of nowhere I’ve got an old silver VW Golf, flashing his lights at me and almost driving up my bumper. It’s a bit strange for someone to be doing that in morning rush hour traffic as there’s about a hundred other cars ahead of me. It took me a minute to fathom what was going on and I started to think it must be someone I know who has spotted my car and is flashing to get my attention, so I pull into the middle lane and have a look across as they pass.
My worst fears were realised when it became apparent that this guy was genuinely trying to force his way through traffic by flashing his lights and driving up peoples arses. I pulled back out behind him and decided to take a bit of revenge by doing similar to him as he was doing to the car infront. This pellet has then slammed on his brakes to an almost standstill, my Greggs Mexican Chicken Ovalbite flew off the passenger seat and hit the dashboard at such a velocity that it was no longer oval, and if it wasn’t for my almost ‘Formula 1 driver’ reaction time, I would have went right in to the back of him. As you can imagine this made me extremely angry, as although I don’t actually have a child, I’m of an age where I could have a child, and that hypothetical child could have been killed if it wasn’t for my aforementioned world class reaction time.

The red mist had descended by this point and I probably wasn’t thinking rationally, but I decided that I would follow his car to its final destination where I was hoping to participate in physical aggression against this man by striking him repeatedly in the face with my fist, and maybe kicking his wing mirror off in an act of pettiness if the chance arose. Unfortunately he became aware I was following his vehicle, and made a number of dangerous manoeuvres along the M8 and subsequently the M74, as he fled in a state of panic and desperation. I decided to call off the pursuit when I could no longer see his vehicle, and also because I was 25 minutes late for work. Hopefully the feeling of terror he experienced as I chased him along the motorway means he won’t try to flash his lights and bully people out of the road in the future. 

Pics or gtf

2 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

Pics or gtf

I wish I did have a picture of the guys registration plate, because I would have been waiting at his door for him when he finished his work. Only info I gathered was that it was an old style VW Golf, 2001 at a guess, Silver, and the driver is a smoker. Oh and he works somewhere after Junction 4 of the M74. 

Just now, IrishBhoy said:

I wish I did have a picture of the guys registration plate, because I would have been waiting at his door for him when he finished his work. Only info I gathered was that it was an old style VW Golf, 2001 at a guess, Silver, and the driver is a smoker. Oh and he works somewhere after Junction 4 of the M74. 

Ahahaha.  I thought you were fishing.

Your response to arsehole behaviour on the road is to double it by doing the same.  Chapeau.

12 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

Ahahaha.  I thought you were fishing.

Your response to arsehole behaviour on the road is to double it by doing the same.  Chapeau.

I pride myself on leaving a 2 car gap between myself and other vehicles on the motorway, but when some mutant comes swanning up behind me on a busy motorway, and starts flashing their lights as a signal to get out his road, then yes I’m going to double down on that behaviour. I have a saying that is ‘if you drive up my arse, I will drive even further up your arse’. I would probably have let it slide if he didn’t slam on his brakes trying to get me to smash in to the back of him, it was that action that made me react with such anger. In a way I wish I did hit him, as he might have been forced to stop his car and I would have had a VERY good reason to swing him about the central reservation of the M8, and following the inevitable police investigation would have found out his name and address for future revenge to take place. As it stands I have very little information, and my only hope is to see him again on the motorway. Although the next time I won’t make my intentions quite as clear and will pursue him from a distance, where upon arrival at his place of work I will carry out the previously mentioned assault and wing mirror detachment. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Just had the police at the door looking for the stepdaughter's ex partner. He's crashed his car but they can't find him. Likely drunk again, he's already lost his licence once.

He's obviously not changed his address from here, despite having lived in 2 places since.

Police are away to lift stepdaughter so she can show them his new house (which he can afford to buy but can't afforf to give her the correct maintenance).