c***s on the road

11 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

Whilst I agree to a point, I'd say perhaps driver maybe saw what had happened and stopped expecting the pedestrians to step out due to the first drivers desperation to carry out a good deed for the day. 

I see it quite a lot. Cars inexplicably stopping, giving way with little or no actual idea of the situation they around them, and certainly no comprehension of how their 'good' actions may actually end up putting other road users in danger. 

Aye for sure, at give ways etc but this is the first time iv ever seen someone just stop at a green light. 

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Aye for sure, at give ways etc but this is the first time iv ever seen someone just stop at a green light. 

Aye, it's not great from either party. I'm just trying to fathom the 2nd drivers actions (no even bothering with the first) and thinking if that was something I encountered, car stopped at crossing with people waiting to cross even regardless of signal, I'd certainly be expecting someone to step out so at the very least would be reducing speed getting ready to stop. I'm just giving the benefit of the doubt to driver 2. Incorrectly most likely :)

5 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

Aye, it's not great from either party. I'm just trying to fathom the 2nd drivers actions (no even bothering with the first) and thinking if that was something I encountered, car stopped at crossing with people waiting to cross even regardless of signal, I'd certainly be expecting someone to step out so at the very least would be reducing speed getting ready to stop. I'm just giving the benefit of the doubt to driver 2. Incorrectly most likely :)

The only sensible folk in the whole thing were the pedestrians tbh. They stood and waited for the correct signal to cross. Everyone else is incredibly thick. 

Years ago I was working in Belfast, I had our daughter with me this particular day, may have been when my wife was in hospital or something. Anyway, lunchtime. There was a four lane road outside our office we had to negotiate to get to eating establishments, we nimble staff usually just took our chances crossing the road and dodging the vehicles, but because I had our daughter I decided to use the pedestrian crossing about a couple of hundred yards up the road.

Off we strolled, pressed the wee button, lights changed to green for cross, big huge lorry stopped in inside lane, for some reason I grabbed Emma Louise to stop her running across the road and with that another big huge lorry came thundering down the outside lane and carried straight on. Fair shook me up, tbqh. And I didn't tell my wife about it, I don't think E M noticed what was happening.

Edited by Jacksgranda
Typo

I am now a c'nt on the road.

Passed my test in December. First car is a 69 plate, 7 seater Mitsibushi Outlander. (Needed 7 seater due to 4 weans).

It's definitely true what they say, you learn to drive after you pass your test. You get taught how to pass your test, not how to drive.

I have the P plates on, not sure if they are more of a target or not, but I like giving people warning that a f'k up might be imminent.

I am definitely on the c'nt list in my first month or so of driving...

First major error was going to the Mrs' sisters. Roundabout in Linwood, in the left lane going straight on, 2nd exit, but actually left lane was for 1st exit only. First time on that road, and my lessons were always left lane for going straight on. I realised what I had done as soon as I had passed, but was too late to do anything about it. Old guy behind me was so enraged he drove right up my arse and followed me to a car park to have a go at me. I had to calm him down before he gave himself a heartattack. Though, don't understand how he could lecture me on my driving when he would have hit my rear if I slammed on the breaks whilst he was driving up my rear following me. But, lesson learned and if going anywhere I don't know, use Google Street View to try and make sure I understand the approach/lanes.

Went a drive to Ayr at the weekend. Following SatNav can be a bit challenging for ne as I'm deaf. Was going 80 on the outside lane overtaking traffic on left, but going 10mph above limit, wasn't fast enough for the guy behind me who told me to get on the left lane. Again, another lesson learned, if you can move to the left, do it and something I wasn't aware about as you don't get taught this during your lessons!

Apart from those incidents I don't think I'm doing too badly. There is a small stretch of road near me, its a back road, 60 limit, but there are so many bends, on a hill and you can't see the oncoming traffic at some of them, so I probably one of the 40mph c'nts there. But it's a short distance so probably doesn't bother too many. It was the same on the A791 to Ayr, lots of bends, wide car, narrow roads. The speedlimit was 40 there due to works, and I was doing 40 but could tell the cars behind me would have been doing a lot more if they could get past me.

The few incidents have knocked my confidence a bit, but just need to get as many miles under my belt and as much experience on different roads as I can.

Finding this thread really helpful but in what not to do!

3 minutes ago, Tam M said:

Passed my test in December. First car is a 69 plate, 7 seater Mitsibushi Outlander. (Needed 7 seater due to 4 weans).

It's definitely true what they say, you learn to drive after you pass your test. You get taught how to pass your test, not how to drive.

I have the P plates on, not sure if they are more of a target or not, but I like giving people warning that a f'k up might be imminent.

First major error was going to the Mrs' sisters. Roundabout in Linwood, in the left lane going straight on, 2nd exit, but actually left lane was for 1st exit only. First time on that road, and my lessons were always left lane for going straight on. I realised what I had done as soon as I had passed, but was too late to do anything about it. Old guy behind me was so enraged he drove right up my arse and followed me to a car park to have a go at me. I had to calm him down before he gave himself a heartattack. Though, don't understand how he could lecture me on my driving when he would have hit my rear if I slammed on the breaks whilst he was driving up my rear following me. But, lesson learned and if going anywhere I don't know, use Google Street View to try and make sure I understand the approach/lanes.

Went a drive to Ayr at the weekend. Following SatNav can be a bit challenging for ne as I'm deaf. Was going 80 on the outside lane overtaking traffic on left, but going 10mph above limit, wasn't fast enough for the guy behind me who told me to get on the left lane. Again, another lesson learned, if you can move to the left, do it and something I wasn't aware about as you don't get taught this during your lessons!

Apart from those incidents I don't think I'm doing too badly. There is a small stretch of road near me, its a back road, 60 limit, but there are so many bends, on a hill and you can't see the oncoming traffic at some of them, so I probably one of the 40mph c'nts there. But it's a short distance so probably doesn't bother too many. It was the same on the A791 to Ayr, lots of bends, wide car, narrow roads. The speedlimit was 40 there due to works, and I was doing 40 but could tell the cars behind me would have been doing a lot more if they could get past me.

The few incidents have knocked my confidence a bit, but just need to get as many miles under my belt and as much experience on different roads as I can.

You don’t have to move left if you’re overtaking. You’re perfectly entitled to pull out well in advance and back in we’ll after, at least stopping distance.

The c**t in the BMW /Audi who wants to go by at 100 can just wait.

After a while you’ll learn to feel and love the seethe from these permaraging arseholes.

20 minutes ago, Tam M said:

Couple of things. Stick to the speed you're comfortable at, don't get stressed out by cars behind you but pull over when comfortable to do so. And if you find yourself in the wrong lane and it's difficult to switch just follow where it takes you, it usually won't take more than a few minutes to get back enroute. Another few months and you'll be so relaxed about driving that you'll start worrying about having daydreamed through a city without remembering any of the driving!

Edited by welshbairn

27 minutes ago, Tam M said:

Honestly, 99% percent of road users are fucking dicks.

Stick to speeds you are comfortable at. 

22 minutes ago, Tam M said:

Again, another lesson learned, if you can move to the left, do it and something I wasn't aware about as you don't get taught this during your lessons!

If only everybody knew this. Motorways are infested with people blindly cruising along in the middle lane. Recently I've even seen people on practically empty motorways cruising along in Lane 3. Absolutely baffles me why they think it's the place to be. Unless overtaking, Left lane it is. I appreciate when it's busy it's not so simple but that's when looking ahead, planning and anticipation come into it. You'll get better at it the more you do it. 

The P plates are a good thing IMO. Always give them more room and time. Can't do any harm. 

3 hours ago, Tam M said:

i) on roundabouts - street view isnt always a bad idea but if in doubt, shoot for the rightmost lane; you can always swing back around if you miss an exit. Keep a close eye out for lane markings at roundabouts - easier said than done if they are faded or theres queues but they are there for a reason, especially a big left only arrow... 

Also pay attention to the signage on approach, will normally be clear what lane to be in for the road you want to exit onto. I know how obvious that might sound and tbf the independent driving portion of the tests (didnt have that bit when i passed) should help but you're out on your own now, no-one to go " take the 3rd exit at the upcoming roundabout please". Apart from lovely sat nav voices perhaps.

Also sometimes helps imo to go "am i cutting across anyone if im in this lane and taking the 2nd exit".

ii) overtaking - its true to keep left as much as possible but even if you're only slowly catching up on traffic (can barely be perceptible even) you're fine to be in the right lane.

iii) dont fret about the speeds. Outlander is a pretty sizeable 1st car so you might get more comfortable with it as you drive it. You're the driver in charge of your vehicle at the end of the day, and if you have children then youve got to look after their safety too. Go at speeds you're comfortable with for the conditions and your vehicle; speed isnt the be all and end all either, 40mph keeping a safe following distance for whatevers in front of you is better than 40mph and way too close to the car in front. Buys you more reaction time too.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

@Tam M My tuppenceworth, some repetition from above:

1. Speed - do what is comfortable for you and no one else. Be aware of others at different speeds and leave them to their own business as best you can. 

2. Sat-nav - My boy gives me the utter fucking heads-gone seethe because he drives as his phone tells him. The road network in this country is about as good as it gets with plenty forewarning of what junctions/roundabouts/direction you need to be dealing with.

Have a look at a map before you go, remember the 3 or 4 roads you’ll be using, look for them and pay attention to the signage. In no time you’ll be a far better driver than instead blindly balling along waiting for the wee voice from the phone telling you to turn right in 300m. 

Edited by alta-pete

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

@Tam M My tuppenceworth, some repetition from above:

1. Speed - do what is comfortable for you and no one else. Be aware of others at different speeds and leave them to their own business as best you can. 

2. Sat-nav - My boy gives me the utter fucking heads-gone seethe because he drives as his phone tells him. The road network in this country is about as good as it gets with plenty forewarning of what junctions/roundabouts/direction you need to be dealing with.

Have a look at a map before you go, remember the 3 or 4 roads you’ll be using, look for them and pay attention to the signage. In no time you’ll be a far better driver than instead blindly balling along waiting for the wee voice from the phone telling you to turn right in 300m. 

One of my pals has no idea how to drive to her work despite driving it for the last 4 years because she puts on the sat nav every morning and blindly follows it. Cannot understand why you’d not just learn the route you drive 5 days a week.