c***s on the road

I went over the Kingston Bridge this morning and there were two lanes closed due to an accident, namely a car embedded on the barrier at the West Street off ramp. I've attached a pic from google maps, it's not the first time I've seen that bit damaged, but this guy had hit it dead centre. There was a lot of surface water at the time and I can only assume he tried to head for the slip road too late and was going too fast.1ddd05d6f0a7f778e3e57ae68b55d11b.jpg

12 hours ago, mathematics said:

Agreed. I hate driving at night, especially when it’s pissing down.

Edinburgh city centre is a nightmare in the dark when it's raining. So many of the road markings are worn away and hardly legible in daylight, so sometimes it's impossible to see what lane you should be in at junctions.

Not roads specifically, but car parks. When I go to a busy supermarket that has a big car park, I will park well away from the store entrance where there are loads of empty parking spaces, and will always park so there are empty spaces either side of me. Today I did that, one empty space on the passengers sides, and at least 5 empty spaces on the drivers side. I come back to find a car parked tight up against me on the drivers side, with still several empty spaces the other side of that car. Why not park with a gap when there are more than enough spaces available to do that?

17 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

Not roads specifically, but car parks. When I go to a busy supermarket that has a big car park, I will park well away from the store entrance where there are loads of empty parking spaces, and will always park so there are empty spaces either side of me. Today I did that, one empty space on the passengers sides, and at least 5 empty spaces on the drivers side. I come back to find a car parked tight up against me on the drivers side, with still several empty spaces the other side of that car. Why not park with a gap when there are more than enough spaces available to do that?

It’s like when you go to a toilet with a row of 6 or 7 urinals all free…and someone pulls up next to you to p1ss

10 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

Edinburgh city centre is a nightmare in the dark when it's raining. So many of the road markings are worn away and hardly legible in daylight, so sometimes it's impossible to see what lane you should be in at junctions.

^^^ this, this and thrice this. 

Edinburgh Council’s attitude to road maintenance is borderline criminal negligence.

Only one example that gets on my nerves - we’ve been going to see the in-Laws in W Lothian for many many years. The A89 from Newbridge that goes past the car garages has always been a patch filled potholed disgrace. But as soon as you reach the railway viaduct at the CEC boundary on the outskirts of Broxburn and you enter W Lothian it miraculously becomes a surface on which you could play bowls. Meh, rant over. 

10 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

This irritates me as well. I tend to park away from the main body of cars so I have space and frequently find someone right next to me instead of the racks of empty spaces. Why do they do it?

16 minutes ago, Craig the Hunter said:

This irritates me as well. I tend to park away from the main body of cars so I have space and frequently find someone right next to me instead of the racks of empty spaces. Why do they do it?

Someone I know outed themselves as one of these mentalists to me. Their justification was that they need another car to line them up, they can’t just use the lines. Lunacy. 

11 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

I can’t fathom Edinburgh at the best of times.

11 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

These people can't judge widths, if they park tight against another car they know they are between the white lines

1 hour ago, Empty It said:
11 hours ago, Shipa said:
Would also be nice if people could learn to accelerate on the on slip, instead of trundling along at 30 then wondering why they can't merge!

Also if people could pull to the outside lane to allow merging if possible, that'd be great.

That's also an issue, although it's not always possible to move over

When you're looking to get from the new Forth bridge on to the City of Edinburgh bypass to head east, there are signs directing you to CoE bypass North and CoE bypass South. This is very confusing if you don't know the area and where exactly you're joining it, should be East and West surely?

11 minutes ago, Empty It said:
15 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:
That's also an issue, although it's not always possible to move over

That's why I said if possible, I know people that don't move over even when possible because "why should I move over it's their job to merge".

So you did, misread it! :lol:

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

When you're looking to get from the new Forth bridge on to the City of Edinburgh bypass to head east, there are signs directing you to CoE bypass North and CoE bypass South. This is very confusing if you don't know the area and where exactly you're joining it, should be East and West surely?

Traffic Scotland refer to the M9 as north/south bound even between Edinburgh and Grangemouth area. Whilst technically correct (just), most people would recognise that as east/west bound.

15 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

just put a private hire plate on your car and you'll be fine.