c***s on the road

19 minutes ago, mathematics said:

I think we should introduce a motorway driving element to the driving test. Then maybe the keep left will start to filter through. No pun intended.

Isn't dual carriageway meant to be part of learning? Motorway driving is easier than city driving.

19 minutes ago, mathematics said:

I think we should introduce a motorway driving element to the driving test. Then maybe the keep left will start to filter through. No pun intended.

It would be tricky in Wick, but maybe on a simulator. I think there should be a night time element too, not necessarily in the test but a compulsory lesson at least. A few tips would have made it a lot easier for me when starting off, like don't look at oncoming headlights and the difference between sidelights and dipped. 

22 minutes ago, mathematics said:

I'd have had to travel 80 miles or something just to get to  motorway for my test. 

Maybe a question in the theory test would work. It's hard to teach consideration for others to self centred knobheads. 

17 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Isn't dual carriageway meant to be part of learning? Motorway driving is easier than city driving.

I take your point on city driving. I purposefully did my motorcycle test in Merthyr Tydfil (instead of Cardiff or Swansea, as I knew the place is empty, unless it’s giro day. 

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It would be tricky in Wick, but maybe on a simulator. I think there should be a night time element too, not necessarily in the test but a compulsory lesson at least. A few tips would have made it a lot easier for me when starting off, like don't look at oncoming headlights and the difference between sidelights and dipped. 

Agreed. I hate driving at night, especially when it’s pissing down.

13 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I'd have had to travel 80 miles or something just to get to  motorway for my test. 

Maybe a question in the theory test would work. It's hard to teach consideration for others to self centred knobheads. 

That’s fair. I forget that not everyone lives near a big road.

It’s be nice for folk to learn to slow down on the off slip and not on the motorway before the slip.

This. Absolutely fucking this.

The Motherwell / Hamilton off slip on the M74 after the Raith is a nightmare for this as it’s 4 lanes going down to 2 and you invariably have HGVs coming on from the raith to go south having to come out into lane 3 to carry on south and you’ve got folk coming off at Motherwell tootling along over a mile away from the junction at about 50, people in the 2nd lane doing similar and the it’s pot luck whether in lane 4 you can maintain 70 to pass them all and not get stuck behind a lorry overtaking another all to avoid being stuck in blind spots on the inside or being stuck behind vehicles doing 20 below the limit cause they’re coming off 1.5miles up the road on what is already a long off slip anyway.

c***s. The lot of them.

4 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

This. Absolutely fucking this.

The Motherwell / Hamilton off slip on the M74 after the Raith is a nightmare for this as it’s 4 lanes going down to 2 and you invariably have HGVs coming on from the raith to go south having to come out into lane 3 to carry on south and you’ve got folk coming off at Motherwell tootling along over a mile away from the junction at about 50, people in the 2nd lane doing similar and the it’s pot luck whether in lane 4 you can maintain 70 to pass them all and not get stuck behind a lorry overtaking another all to avoid being stuck in blind spots on the inside or being stuck behind vehicles doing 20 below the limit cause they’re coming off 1.5miles up the road on what is already a long off slip anyway.

c***s. The lot of them.

I come off the M73, get onto the outside lane southbound and boot it. The inside 3 lanes are just chaotic madness. 

3 hours ago, Empty It said:

Don't think there needs to be a motorway part of a driving test, it's pretty simple stay left unless you're overtaking.

There's a lot of places with no opportunity to practice lane changing in lessons, which is probably why people hog the middle lane because they're not confident at it. Not sure how they do it now but I had to do a hazard awareness test on screen along side the theory test. A simulator for motorway driving should be possible, I nearly shat myself the first time I went on one. 

Edited by welshbairn

I come off the M73, get onto the outside lane southbound and boot it. The inside 3 lanes are just chaotic madness. 

Aye. It is your best bet tbh. Although even as you approach the raith it’s a mare because so many people don’t realise the inside lane just before it is the services so you get folk trying to get out that lane at the last minute as well as folk, usually in Audis, sticking in the outside lane until after this point and then trying to switcheroo over three lanes at once to come off at the raith. Amount of times I’ve seen a car sitting on the chevrons there with bits of it scattered is unreal for an off slip.

3 hours ago, mathematics said:

I believe they cover use of indicators in driving lessons and in the test. But after the c*nts pass... 

The (two lane) Erskine bridge is a nightmare for drivers in the overtaking lane. They seem to go there as they join the bridge because they're taking the right fork upon exit (approx 1 mile away) but then saunter along at 5mph below the limit and cause a huge queue. I take a left at the fork so I move in there fairly early but undertaking makes me feel uncomfortable but sometimes I feel like I have no option and end up doing it anyway.

2 hours ago, microdave said:

The (two lane) Erskine bridge is a nightmare for drivers in the overtaking lane. They seem to go there as they join the bridge because they're taking the right fork upon exit (approx 1 mile away) but then saunter along at 5mph below the limit and cause a huge queue. I take a left at the fork so I move in there fairly early but undertaking makes me feel uncomfortable but sometimes I feel like I have no option and end up doing it anyway.

Yup, as soon as past the junction for Erskine people seem to filter into which fork they want on other side.

The roundabout at the Erskine bridge hotel is forever having cars career through it and I noticed the one at the other end that bit of road is minus lamp post.

The wife... I usually drive but we went out today and she drove. White knuckle ride. Every time she felt slighted she was beeping the horn. Every other driver was an "absolute idiot" or worse. 

All I could think of was the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode Thor. Imagined an irate giant tapping on my window seeking a word. 

12 hours ago, mathematics said:

It’s be nice for folk to learn to slow down on the off slip and not on the motorway before the slip.

Would also be nice if people could learn to accelerate on the on slip, instead of trundling along at 30 then wondering why they can't merge!