c***s on the road

42 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

During the summer they put a bus lane on the dual carriageway section of Springburn Road heading towards the city centre. It's a timed lane, and is clearly sign posted at the start that it operates from 0700 to 0930 and 1600 and 1900. That doesn’t stop folk at other times of day slamming their brakes on and try and pull out into the other lane when there is absolutely no need for them to do so.

There was no fucking need for that lane at all. Grrrrr. Also, it doesn’t state that’s is mon-Fri only. Who needs a Sunday bus lane?

I go that way regularly to get to royston road/roystonhill for work, yep - have learned to keep a close eye on traffic to the right and watch the spacing of cars when im in the bus lane for stuff cutting over late on. Was hellish at royston road when the 3 way traffic control was in place a few weeks back.
There was no fucking need for that lane at all. Grrrrr. Also, it doesn’t state that’s is mon-Fri only. Who needs a Sunday bus lane?
I've had a few near misses, even though it's generally about 9pm when I'm heading down there going to work. Had one cnut a few weeks ago who was a couple of cars in front of me in the inside lane who hit the panic button and veered into the right hand lane, causing a truck to jump on the brakes, then he cut back across the front of me to head for the Royston Road exit.

Was Mirror, Signal Manoeuvre a thing back when people like ‘yer da’ age learned to drive? (Serious question not trying to cause offence)

Some woman cruising along a main road quite the thing just decides to slam her breaks on and then starts turning left into another road, oh but don’t worry she put her indicator on as she was half way through turning.

Oh and she was wearing a face mask sitting in the car herself.

8 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Was Mirror, Signal Manoeuvre a thing back when people like ‘yer da’ age learned to drive? (Serious question not trying to cause offence)

Some woman cruising along a main road quite the thing just decides to slam her breaks on and then starts turning left into another road, oh but don’t worry she put her indicator on as she was half way through turning.

Main Stream Media m12.

3 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I must be really old, I was taught Mirror, Signal, Mirror, Maneuver.

The amount of people who come on to a motorway, immediately get into the middle lane and then stay there until they need to come off, is astonishing. There’s a section of the M8 between St James and Helen Street where it’s just a train of cars sitting in the middle lane sauntering along at any speed they like.

I notice they are using the overhead gantry screens for things like ‘Get your Covid vaccine’. Once in a while they could use it to say ‘Keep to the left hand lane’. I’m sure most people already know to do this, and for some baffling reason decide not to, but it could be useful for drivers who are genuinely unaware of how to drive on a motorway. 

8 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

The amount of people who come on to a motorway, immediately get into the middle lane and then stay there until they need to come off, is astonishing. There’s a section of the M8 between St James and Helen Street where it’s just a train of cars sitting in the middle lane sauntering along at any speed they like.

I notice they are using the overhead gantry screens for things like ‘Get your Covid vaccine’. Once in a while they could use it to say ‘Keep to the left hand lane’. I’m sure most people already know to do this, and for some baffling reason decide not to, but it could be useful for drivers who are genuinely unaware of how to drive on a motorway. 

I've seen that on so many occasions. They tentatively, almost timidly,  enter the motorway from the slip, gently edge their way over to the middle lane (without signalling obvs), and once they're in the middle lane, you can see their shoulders relax.  Even the body language of the car relaxes. All is good in their world, they're safe and they're  in the middle lane. Isn't it classified in the Highway Code as a 'safe zone' for Audi and Merc drivers?

Just now, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

I've seen that on so many occasions. They tentatively, almost timidly,  enter the motorway from the slip, gently edge their way over to the middle lane (without signalling obvs), and once they're in the middle lane, you can see their shoulders relax.  Even the body language of the car relaxes. All is good in their world, they're safe and they're  in the middle lane. Isn't it classified in the Highway Code as a 'safe zone' for Audi and Merc drivers?

I think I told this story on here years ago, but an old boss of mine was talking to a guy that had just passed his test, and told him ‘I just sit in the middle all the way to work, means you don’t need to bother with changing lanes and that’. The guy was in his 60s and was surprised when I told him that it was literally in the Highway Code that the middle and outside lane should only be used for overtaking. He told me he was going to continue doing it anyway as it was ‘safer’. I can’t remember if I challenged him on that or not but that’s such a selfish attitude to have, expecting everyone else to navigate around you. 

2 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I think I told this story on here years ago, but an old boss of mine was talking to a guy that had just passed his test, and told him ‘I just sit in the middle all the way to work, means you don’t need to bother with changing lanes and that’. The guy was in his 60s and was surprised when I told him that it was literally in the Highway Code that the middle and outside lane should only be used for overtaking. He told me he was going to continue doing it anyway as it was ‘safer’. I can’t remember if I challenged him on that or not but that’s such a selfish attitude to have, expecting everyone else to navigate around you. 

The fact that he was in his 60's is irrelevant. He is (maybe was) a c**t On The Road. There is the most basic of etiquette on a public highway. The key word being public. 

59 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

The fact that he was in his 60's is irrelevant. He is (maybe was) a c**t On The Road. There is the most basic of etiquette on a public highway. The key word being public. 

I don’t think it’s as well known as what you might think, purely down to the number of drivers that I see using the middle lane when the inside lane is completely empty. Motorway driving isn’t taught when learning to drive so I think some people are just oblivious to it. 

Was at fort Kinnaird today, and to avoid using that c**t of a roundabout near McDonald's , we cut up the back road towards the wisp, to go down past Newton village then onto the A1, but the road was shut due to a crash. Went through danderhall, and some p***k in an audi overtook me on a blind bend and just made it back in on time to avoid an oncoming van. 

4 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I don’t think it’s as well known as what you might think, purely down to the number of drivers that I see using the middle lane when the inside lane is completely empty. Motorway driving isn’t taught when learning to drive so I think some people are just oblivious to it. 

Keep to the left. How hard is that to understand?

3 minutes ago, philpy said:

Was at fort Kinnaird today, and to avoid using that c**t of a roundabout near McDonald's , we cut up the back road towards the wisp, to go down past Newton village then onto the A1, but the road was shut due to a crash. Went through danderhall, and some p***k in an audi overtook me on a blind bend and just made it back in on time to avoid an oncoming van. 

I refer you to my previous post about Highway Code exemptions to Audi and Merc drivers.

I went out a few days ago onto the road leading to the main road. I caught up with someone who I thought was going really slowly but it was because the guy in front of him was driving erratically - slowly and weaving across the middle of the road. The guy in front of me overtook him (was lucky as he swerved across the middle of the road) but I held back as was a liability. He must have been steaming (it was midmorning) or taking a bad turn (giving him the benefit of the doubt), drove in to the kerb at the side of the road when he got to the T-junction. Fortunately I was going in the other direction.

3 hours ago, strichener said:

WTF?  You must be a BMW driver.

I used to be actually. It was old, expensive to run, and spent more time getting fixed than travelling. The seats were comfier than armchairs though, stepping out after a 5 hour journey to the Highlands without a sore back made it all worthwhile. The priorities you have when you’re old eh?