c***s on the road

12 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:
1 hour ago, eez-eh said:
People who charge onto the outside lane of a roundabout while there’s a car in the inside lane.
Dangerous c***s.

You'll need to explain that one a bit better.

Say you’re taking the third exit at a roundabout using the right hand lane. There’s a small but not insignificant number of people who if they’re waiting to enter the roundabout at exits one or two in the left hand lane don’t see the need to wait for you pass them first. They just plough on and cause you to take evasive action when you’re trying to get off the roundabout.

15 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Say you’re taking the third exit at a roundabout using the right hand lane. There’s a small but not insignificant number of people who if they’re waiting to enter the roundabout at exits one or two in the left hand lane don’t see the need to wait for you pass them first. They just plough on and cause you to take evasive action when you’re trying to get off the roundabout.

That's exactly what happened to me yesterday.

2 hours ago, MacDuffman said:

Not read the highway code in years but does it not say you shouldn't enter a roundabout if someone else is on it. Hate people doing this.

Don't think it says that, if that was the case nobody would be getting anywhere very quickly.

Main gripe on roundabouts is the lack of signalling (how difficult is it to indicate} or giving the wrong signals which happens all the time.

Edited by keptie

Yesterday morning some utter arsehole in an Enterprise rental van blazed past me on London Road doing about 50 mph, undertaking me in the bus lane. Ended up catching up with them along Queen Street where they turned up North Charlotte Street and swerved across the lanes to avoid a slow moving bus and forced another car to drive onto the pavement to avoid being hit. Sadly I didn't have my dash cam on to capture this utter cretin throwing this van all over Edinburgh. Prick. 

I stopped at the temporary traffic lights in Juniper Green last night, it's down to one lane because of City fibre work.  I was just sitting there when an Audi TT flew past me, jumped the red light and thundered off down Lanark Road.  Mental.  I wonder if it was stolen, the driving was so blatently illegal.

1 hour ago, keptie said:

Don't think it says that, if that was the case nobody would be getting anywhere very quickly.

Main gripe on roundabouts is the lack of signalling (how difficult is it to indicate} or giving the wrong signals which happens all the time.

Worst thing on a busy roundabout is people staring right for a small gap, slam the throttle down to jump on, unaware that a car is just turning left from the centre lane for the next exit in front of them. Been guilty of that myself, experienced the other side of that yesterday. Will be more careful in the future. Although I think the guy yesterday was actually trying to undertake me.

Edited by welshbairn

5 hours ago, MacDuffman said:

Not read the highway code in years but does it not say you shouldn't enter a roundabout if someone else is on it. Hate people doing this.

iirc its not quite like that, it's something along the lines that you must give way to the right.

edit: I haven't cheated but to elaborate - its that you must give way to traffic *approaching* from the right. I think the myth is more that "oh now that I'm on the roundabout I have priority", which isn't how its worded/how it's meant to work, and very occasionally means people race to get onto roundabouts as quickly as they can so they think they have priority. There's some roundabouts near me with poor visibility at certain exits that I've learned to be extremely cautious of, I slow down significantly and have a good look not just to the right but probably even moreso to the left, as every so often cars try to just zoom through them without taking much of a look to their right.

this is probably one of the more notable ones, around tresta road up at the crematorium. If you're coming this way you can't see shit to your right and its poor even once you're right up to the line.

image.thumb.png.5f97035281a0fdd7c3a6bc21cadd99a7.png

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

4 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

iirc its not quite like that, it's something along the lines that you must give way to the right.

edit: I haven't cheated but to elaborate - its that you must give way to traffic *approaching* from the right. I think the myth is more that "oh now that I'm on the roundabout I have priority", which isn't how its worded/how it's meant to work, and very occasionally means people race to get onto roundabouts as quickly as they can so they think they have priority. There's some roundabouts near me with poor visibility at certain exits that I've learned to be extremely cautious of, I slow down significantly and have a good look not just to the right but probably even moreso to the left, as every so often cars try to just zoom through them without taking much of a look to their right.

8CB3ED4E-DAC1-416F-AFC7-DDC9E2C88C63.jpeg

2 hours ago, RiG said:

Yesterday morning some utter arsehole in an Enterprise rental van blazed past me on London Road doing about 50 mph, undertaking me in the bus lane. Ended up catching up with them along Queen Street where they turned up North Charlotte Street and swerved across the lanes to avoid a slow moving bus and forced another car to drive onto the pavement to avoid being hit. Sadly I didn't have my dash cam on to capture this utter cretin throwing this van all over Edinburgh. p***k. 

Do you know I think I was behind the same p***k the other day. Seeing cnutish driving in an Enterprise rented van rings a slight bell

this is probably one of the more notable ones, around tresta road up at the crematorium. If you're coming this way you can't see shit to your right and its poor even once you're right up to the line.
image.thumb.png.5f97035281a0fdd7c3a6bc21cadd99a7.png
The visibility isn't great there when coming from the road on the left either, past Gilshochill Station.

Driving from Falkirk towards the M9 at ~12.30 today. Driving along at 60, the speed limit, heading towards the Klondike garden centre. A car was ready to pull out in front of me (coming from Icehouse Brae). No way, I thought. He started puling out, then stopped. Then went for it. I had to slam my brakes (and my horn) and slowed to 15 mph.

Going along a fairly quiet and narrow road in Inverness (Dores Road/Island Bank Road) and followed a row of traffic passing some parked cars, couldn't see if there was any traffic coming towards us. As the last car in front of me veered back to our own lane, a Tesco van accelerated towards me at a rate of knots. Not sure if he wasn't concentrating or trying to put the shits up me, if the latter it certainly worked. Passed his window as I was able to veer off, millimetres apart, and glimpsed him fighting with the steering wheel, think he ended up with 2 wheels on the pavement. 

5 hours ago, microdave said:

Today must be national move off from traffic lights as slowly as fucking possible day.

Oh is that them green? let me just finish doing my hair, and pull away. Why am I not moving? Oh the handbrake, silly me, right that’s the handbreak off, better check it’s still green, oh it is, right let’s go.  Is that my pal? Not sure, I’ll be extra slow to check, is that him? Has he got a haircut?   Right ok, what was I doing  ?

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Driving from Falkirk towards the M9 at ~12.30 today. Driving along at 60, the speed limit, heading towards the Klondike garden centre. A car was ready to pull out in front of me (coming from Icehouse Brae). No way, I thought. He started puling out, then stopped. Then went for it. I had to slam my brakes (and my horn) and slowed to 15 mph.

Doing 60 at the roundabout?

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Don't you mean Cadgers Brae as  Icehouse Brae is the roundabout 

7 hours ago, microdave said:

Today must be national move off from traffic lights as slowly as fucking possible day.

Are you in Australia?  They have to be the world's worst for taking an absolute age to move after the lights turn.  I am normally a calm driver and let most shit driving just pass me by but for some reason this turned me into a raging mess.

Between the works at straiton where you get three cars at a time or two if stuck behind an Aygo and the useless chunt in the captura in the overtaking lane at portobello deciding to let the left lane in infront of them at the merge after the lights, I'd strongly agree this sentiment

16 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Going along a fairly quiet and narrow road in Inverness (Dores Road/Island Bank Road) and followed a row of traffic passing some parked cars, couldn't see if there was any traffic coming towards us. As the last car in front of me veered back to our own lane, a Tesco van accelerated towards me at a rate of knots. Not sure if he wasn't concentrating or trying to put the shits up me, if the latter it certainly worked. Passed his window as I was able to veer off, millimetres apart, and glimpsed him fighting with the steering wheel, think he ended up with 2 wheels on the pavement. 

One of my m8s is a Tesco delivery driver......