c***s on the road

If you just want a reliable way of getting from A-B and aren't worried about getting the latest tech, I still think that buying a 3 year old car with low mileage and running it till it's ready for the scrapyard, and repeat, is the cheapest way to do it. Extended warranty deals have worked out well for me too.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Empty It said:

Mental that people think long term renting a car is a better idea than purchasing one.

The drones just do as they're told. They just follow. 

When I was buying the wife's car, there was a 6k difference if we took the thing on PCP.  Needless to say I took it on PCP and then paid it off after 15 days.  Cost me about £15 in interest.

My daughter has her car on PCP after trying the purchase route and getting a shit load of bills she wanted something that was under warranty and she could chnage in 3 years .  As a previous poster stated it's really based on individual's circumstances and attitudes.

Imagine renting your music or software it is however how companies are moving to try and have predictable income streams.

On 26/07/2021 at 18:03, dundeefc1783 said:

Why? I like to have a new car every 2/3 years take it out on pcp as its cheaper than HP. Includes a 2/3 year service plan and no mot required so it's hassle free motoring.

After 2/3 years trade it in for a new one

just out of interest what happens when your car is 4 years old do you suddenly get nervous behind the wheel. 

The line of "hassle free motoring" is a marketing beauty that people soak up. You still need to get it serviced, repair faults, tyres etc same as you would with another car it's just you are paying a premium and then some rather than having to pay out for the repair.

Edited by red23

just out of interest what happens when your car is 4 years old do you suddenly get nervous behind the wheel. 
The line of "hassle free motoring" is a marketing beauty that people soak up. You still need to get it serviced, repair faults, tyres etc same as you would with another car it's just you are paying a premium and then some rather than having to pay out for the repair.
That's the point though if you get a brand new car and keep it for 2/3 years then you don't have to pay out for repairs etc.

I have obviously had cars in the past that have been over 4 years old but these days I like having a new car. I have very few vices in life so don't mind paying out for a car.

Like I said previously different strokes for different folks

On 26/07/2021 at 17:25, red23 said:

I've personally never understood the mentality of leasing a car. You spend approx 4.5k a year doing so. Say over a 3 year period it's 13.5k. 

I've bought my last car for in perfect condition for £12k and sold it 5 years later for 8k so a 4k loss , it rarely needed repaired and when it did it didn't really matter as i accept its part of the cost saving so lets say i spent £1k on maintenance - on the same period of leasing you'd be approx £22.5k  to me thats a significant amount just to not have to worry about an mot which is over and done with in a couple of hours.

Thats fine if you have £12k sitting around to  buy a car. If you had to finance that it would cost just over £200 a month for a personal loan over 5 years. Then you have to pay tax, servicing, repairs and tyres on top of that. My last lease was £250 a month for car worth just under £30k, including maintenance.

I dont think anyones suggesting leasing is the cheapest option but its  certainly a viable one if you dont have any cash up front. The premium you pay is partly convenience, partly to avoid unexpected bills and partly to remove the risk of a fatal breakdown. Plus you get to drive a nicer car than you otherwise would.

8 hours ago, GordonS said:

This utter c**t only got 3.5 years in jail and a 57 month driving ban. Police said the footage showed him commit 42 separate driving offences in the 4 hours before the crash. 

Amazed he survived a crash at full tilt into a sturdy vehicle like that, presumably no one was killed or injured in the other vehicle?

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Amazed he survived a crash at full tilt into a sturdy vehicle like that, presumably no one was killed or injured in the other vehicle?

22 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

No deaths in the prison transport but 3 ended up with injuries
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-57988029

Still amazing he wasn't killed though, considering he took his seatbelt off. He put it on when he pulled up behind a police car at a roundabout, then took it off again as soon as it was out of sight. He was using a spare seatbelt clip in the slot to stop the alarm from binging.

He'll be driving again in only five years.

7 hours ago, GordonS said:

Still amazing he wasn't killed though, considering he took his seatbelt off. He put it on when he pulled up behind a police car at a roundabout, then took it off again as soon as it was out of sight. He was using a spare seatbelt clip in the slot to stop the alarm from binging.

I doubt he will ever drive for a living again he also looks old as anything although the news report doesn't give his age, his time inside is hardly likely to be a great experience.

9 hours ago, GordonS said:

Absolutely absurd behaviour. What possible reason could someone have for being so opposed to an item that is designed solely to stop themselves from dying? Even if you don’t give a shit about other people’s safety, this is an item purely to save you. To go to the extent of having a spare seatbelt clip in to avoid wearing one is just ludicrous.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Surprised they bothered mentioning that he'd peeled a banana and waved at someone when he was stuck at traffic lights, absurdly trivial compared to the rest of his behaviour.

The video shows him steering with his elbows while peeling the banana, it's pretty bad. He launches the skin out the window which is a hanging offence in my book.

On 26/07/2021 at 18:03, dundeefc1783 said:

Why? I like to have a new car every 2/3 years take it out on pcp as its cheaper than HP. Includes a 2/3 year service plan and no mot required so it's hassle free motoring.

After 2/3 years trade it in for a new one

I’ve always gone for leases over PCP.  I use my car for business and claim 45p per business mile.  If you want a new, reliable car it’s certainly a better option than buying and will be covered by guarantee for the 2/3 duration of the lease.

If it was only for personal use I’d probably choose a different option.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

The video shows him steering with his elbows while peeling the banana, it's pretty bad. He launches the skin out the window which is a hanging offence in my book.

Doesn't he know how dangerous a banana skin is?