c***s on the road

On 26/04/2021 at 21:15, craigkillie said:

It would be useful if both cyclists and drivers were aware that the pavement is primarily for pedestrians. Twice at the weekend there I was out with the pram and was nearly wiped out by cyclists flying down the pavement, and meanwhile it is a constant battle to squeeze past all the cars who park more or less all the way on to the pavement. Ban the lot of them.

Fucks me off on school run that 4x4 seem to be designed for off roading onto pavement when there are parking spaces an extra 10metres away. To extent the kids can't actually get passed the cars.

3 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Fucks me off on school run that 4x4 seem to be designed for off roading onto pavement when there are parking spaces an extra 10metres away. To extent the kids can't actually get passed the cars.

Fucks me off that some people still can’t spell. 😂 

52 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The whole point of this thread, and the majority of posts on it, are highlighting folk in cars being fannies.

A wee group of cyclists have randomly appeared and started mewling all over it after a single mention, though.

This is why nobody likes cyclists.

I like cyclists. 

The whole point of this thread, and the majority of posts on it, are highlighting folk in cars being fannies.
A wee group of cyclists have randomly appeared and started mewling all over it after a single mention, though.
They're worse than OF fans how much they over react to any criticism in any way.

I'm always amazed at the way some people driving 4x4's slow to an unbelievable crawl for fairly minor speed bumps.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Behave. 

I quite like cyclists. So that's your wild generalisation in the bin. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I stand corrected now that P&B's most utterly boring poster has weighed in 😂

3 hours ago, RH33 said:

4x4s are predominately favoured by people who can't actually drive properly. The vehicle, being bigger than non-4x4s, is to protect them against their lack of ability. 

Linkfield road in musselburgh is one of the worst places to encounter cyclists, due to the traffic islands.  Even worse when you get them cycling 2 abreast..  aye, I know it's not breaking the law, but it's a pain in the arse.

Screenshot_2021-05-03-21-10-36.png

I’ll never understand why so many people who live in towns and cities drive 4x4s. They’re designed for off-road driving. There is absolutely no need for a car of that build to drive to the shop or do a school run.

I’ll never understand why so many people who live in towns and cities drive 4x4s. They’re designed for off-road driving. There is absolutely no need for a car of that build to drive to the shop or do a school run.
Because nothings says you've made it in life like a white range rover on an overpriced PCP deal.

14 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Not excusing going thru reds, but in some countries (that use the other side of the road) bikes are allowed by law to turn right on red as long as pedestrians are not crossing.

It kinda makes sense as it allows the cyclists to flow ahead of cars etc and takes them out of conflict with other vehicles at some junctions when the light goes green.

Yes that sounds reasonable and I wish I could say the cyclists I see are all turning right but...

14 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Not excusing going thru reds, but in some countries (that use the other side of the road) bikes are allowed by law to turn right on red as long as pedestrians are not crossing.

It kinda makes sense as it allows the cyclists to flow ahead of cars etc and takes them out of conflict with other vehicles at some junctions when the light goes green.

14 hours ago, Rugster said:

In America you can turn right at a red light if all is clear. 

Same here in the Philippines, all vehicles can turn right on Red if the coast is clear.  The problem is that drivers here don't seem to consider pedestrians road users and tend not to look out for them when turning right on red.  Bear in mind that here there are very few pedestrian crossings so crossing on red is the only "safe" option.  That said, I'm still alive so it must work OK.

On 01/05/2021 at 02:03, flyingscot said:

That said I've often argued that cycling on a nice hard shoulder down a motorway might well be safer than some roads in towns! 

It's legal in Victoria, Australia to cycle on the hard shoulder on motorways outside of urban areas.

It certainly feels like a weird thing to do the first couple of times but there is a fair bit of a draught when a couple of B doubles blaze past.

Only problem is the amount of debris present on the shoulders. Most of my punctures have happened on them, usually caused the thin wire inside of burst tires which seems to litter the shoulders.

I once had to ride in lane 1 to get past a car that had just caught fire on the shoulder. The other option was long grass on the verge which looked like prime snake territory so I decide to chance it in the traffic.

• 2 weeks later...

Nominating myself for being a bit of a daft c**t earlier: coming along maryhill road at the old job centre. Taxi was sat at pedestrian crossing with right indicator to a u-turn, i slowed down and flashed. Problem then starts as a van was waiting to turn left out of the small side road bit, i hadnt clocked it, the taxi hesitated a bit but managed the hairpin turn there and i started moving forward again rather than letting the van out too.

Guy in van behind me was pretty seething. It is an unusual situation at that bit to have a car doing a u turn + someone wanting out at that side road, but as a learning point ill need to remember to fully commit to letting a situation resolve itself, itd have been better to just have stopped outright w/o any flash of the lights and let the van and taxi sort it for themselves from there but i didnt. No accident or collision caused at least, lesson hopefully learned there...

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

4 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Nominating myself for being a bit of a daft c**t earlier: coming along maryhill road at the old job centre. Taxi was sat at pedestrian crossing with right indicator to a u-turn, i slowed down and flashed. Problem then starts as a van was waiting to turn left out of the small side road bit, i hadnt clocked it, the taxi hesitated a bit but managed the hairpin turn there and i started moving forward again rather than letting the van out too.

Guy in van behind me was pretty seething. It is an unusual situation at that bit to have a car doing a u turn + someone wanting out at that side road, but as a learning point ill need to remember to fully commit to letting a situation resolve itself, itd have been better to just have stopped outright w/o any flash of the lights and let the van and taxi sort it for themselves from there but i didnt. No accident or collision caused at least, lesson hopefully learned there...

I'm glad nothing bad happened. Moral of the story: don't flash lights.