c***s on the road

On 22/04/2021 at 10:46, 101 said:

The undefeated king :king

On 22/04/2021 at 13:06, coprolite said:

When i'm cycling, motorists are c***s. 

When i'm driving, cyclists are c***s. 

The system is really quite simple. 

The YouTube video is hilarious. Unfortunately the guy didn't have a stroke while being filmed.

Regarding  Coprolite's post, the public in general are c***s. 

Edited by oldbitterandgrumpy

Cyclists are c***s, and it's frankly disgusting they've infested this thread and not been hounded out.

Screenshot_20210425-083346_Maps.thumb.jpg.17b29e78fc22d647b7de4220f13e38dc.jpg

I'm the white mark, waiting to turn right. Old dear with no helmet on is the red mark. I've zero idea where she's going, but presumably it's straight on. I'm not wanting to move as I've to cut across her and she'll inevitably the move the moment I do.

She comes out, slowly, in front of traffic, seems to get her legs all mixed up. Finally gets across, only to then go behind me and up onto the pavement, through a group of schoolkids on the pavement. 

10 yards up the road is a set of traffic lights that have gone to red. Why the f**k didn't she just go to them if she wasn't planning to cycle on the road anyway?

The last few weeks I've been out on the road bike and in general motorists have been great. But I'm not an arsehole cyclist chasing a king of the mountain strava dream. If I can pull into a bus stop or that then I'll let the cars through. No point winding the drivers up and encourage a close pass. Only really notice the dick heads more bit the majority of drivers are sound and give space

I think the whole cyclist thing is pretty simple. There are total arseholes on both sides, but they are a small minority.

Both sides of this arsehole coin seem pig headedly determined to make some sort of angry point that few actually care about.

Drivers are generally quite ignorant of the space they are supposed to give cyclists. Cyclists are the softest thing on the road and as such, ought to consider whether cycling 2 abreast along a windy road because the law allows it is a sensible thing to do in the real world

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Drivers are generally quite ignorant of the space they are supposed to give cyclists. 

See, I'm the opposite. I've had folk tooting at me because I refused to wedge past a cyclist in front of me when crossing a bridge, as the traffic on the other side didn't give me enough room.

I've had more occasion of cyclists wedging past my car at a set of lights and hitting my wing mirror than I have of going anywhere near them.

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

See, I'm the opposite. I've had folk tooting at me because I refused to wedge past a cyclist in front of me when crossing a bridge, as the traffic on the other side didn't give me enough room.

I've had more occasion of cyclists wedging past my car at a set of lights and hitting my wing mirror than I have of going anywhere near them.

I’m like this too. If I can’t give them the correct space then I’ll just continue to trail behind them until I can. Bizarrely I’ve had a couple of incidents where the cyclist seems annoyed at me not just going passed them though. The last time he waved me on, where I would have been verging on brushing up against him or the cars on the other side of the road, so I ignored his wave and continued to crawl behind. He waved again and after that was also ignored, turned round and screamed “COME ON” at me. 🤨

Generally though, I encounter far, far more arsehole drivers than cyclists (obviously that’s standard as there are far more of them). 

I broke the law today in order to give a couple of cyclists more room. Two ahead of me one in front of the other. The way the road was I thought they were close together but when I overtook the first one the second one was quite far ahead and there was a crossing island just ahead. Rather than speed up and likely make the second cyclist brake hard/mount the pavement I just passed them on the opposite side of the road as it was clear.

A bit of initial misjudgment on my part and I'd have been kicking myself if there Police in the vicinity [emoji38]

I generally don't have any issues with cyclists on the road. The only type of cyclists that seriously wind me up are the dickheads who don't cycle close to the pavement. I know they aren't technically doing anything wrong but have a bit of courtesy ffs and get in.

5 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

The only type of cyclists that seriously wind me up are the dickheads who don't cycle close to the pavement. I know they aren't technically doing anything wrong but have a bit of courtesy ffs and get in.

Guess where all the drain covers and the worst potholes are located. 
As someone who drives and cycles, it’s very noticeable how well a car absorbs the bumps and jolts from the worst road surfaces.

As someone who drives and cycles, it’s very noticeable how well a car absorbs the bumps and jolts from the worst road surfaces.
I'm not suggesting they cycle there exclusively. Car swerve to avoid potholes all the time, I wouldn't grudge cyclists doing the same. Cycling in the middle of the road the entire time is just arsehole behaviour though.

It's mad how angry some drivers get over being delayed 20 seconds by cyclists. Have seen some drivers go absolutely crazy at cyclists for this, with them mashing the horn, flashing the lights, revving dangerously close to them and generally going alarmingly red in the face as they sputter out insults.

Edited by DA Baracus

42 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
3 hours ago, Funky Nosejob said:

I'm not suggesting they cycle there exclusively. Car swerve to avoid potholes all the time, I wouldn't grudge cyclists doing the same. Cycling in the middle of the road the entire time is just arsehole behaviour though.

Swerving to avoid the drains and crumbling tarmac on a bike is made much more difficult by the cars going past at 40mph 2 feet away though. Best to pick a line that avoids them and stick to it. 

15 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Swerving to avoid the drains and crumbling tarmac on a bike is made much more difficult by the cars going past at 40mph 2 feet away though. Best to pick a line that avoids them and stick to it. 

A technique that keeps one alive in many a 2nd/3rd world city.

One of the most terrifying experiences of my life was crossing a multi-lane road in Cairo where they don't seem to do pedestrian crossings/bridges.  The guy I was with simply said "pick a straight line, walk at a steady pace and you'll be fine.  Bottle it and you'll end up in hospital or worse".   Even though there were women carrying babies out into the road with cars just wizzing around her, I was pretty much like this.

BrokenFocusedHookersealion-max-1mb.gif.5f474d8b950e33b8109d43998b54681e.gif

Taxis are so underrated.

23 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I think the whole cyclist thing is pretty simple. There are total arseholes on both sides, but they are a small minority.

Both sides of this arsehole coin seem pig headedly determined to make some sort of angry point that few actually care about.

Drivers are generally quite ignorant of the space they are supposed to give cyclists. Cyclists are the softest thing on the road and as such, ought to consider whether cycling 2 abreast along a windy road because the law allows it is a sensible thing to do in the real world

Only one side causes lots death and injury to others, damage to roads and pollution though.

Cycling two abreast might prevent some idiot driver trying to overtake without providing enough space by going into the other lane. And it's also better for drivers as there's a shorter queue of cyclists to pass.

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I generally don't have any issues with cyclists on the road. The only type of cyclists that seriously wind me up are the dickheads who don't cycle close to the pavement. I know they aren't technically doing anything wrong but have a bit of courtesy ffs and get in.

Given you've got to drive into the other lane to pass them anyway, why does it matter whether they are close to the pavement or not?

32 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

The worst cyclists are those who cycle on the road when there is a brand new cycle path right next to the carriageway. The cycle lane surface is smoother and doesn't have cars and buses trying to squeeze past FFS. And it cost several thousand pounds.

Got a location in mind as an example of this?

1 minute ago, Ginaro said:

Only one side causes lots death and injury to others, damage to roads and pollution though.

Cycling two abreast might prevent some idiot driver trying to overtake without providing enough space by going into the other lane. And it's also better for drivers as there's a shorter queue of cyclists to pass.

Given you've got to drive into the other lane to pass them anyway, why does it matter whether they are close to the pavement or not?

I cycle on the road not the cycle lane on Boness road in Grangemouth tbf. The cycle lane is in some nick. f**k that  

There are two near me in the Dunfermline area - Fife Council spent a bit of money adding a new cycle and footpath from Fordell to Hillend and are currently spending more again on doing the same between Fordell and Crossford; the other is between Culross and Kincardine. In both cases, the roads themselves are quite narrow, twisty roads but have a high traffic volume including buses using them. The council have spent the money to make the route safer for cyclists yet some are still choosing to go on the roads.