c***s on the road

20 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

However.... the new bus lane on Queensferry Road is the most insane bit of road design I’ve ever seen. 

What was previously a busy but well-flowing bit of road now has half hour jams on both roads leading to it. To reach a bus lane of maybe a few hundred yards, buses and everyone else has to sit in queues on both the roads approaching Edinburgh. I’m sure they thought it would be a good idea but the result is if you want to drive or get a bus in to Edinburgh from Fife in the morning you’re quicker walking. 

As someone who now sits in this new bus lane queue every morning I completely agree with you. The thought of what it's going to be like when traffic levels approach normality post-lockdown is giving me the fear. 

1 hour ago, CountyFan said:

As someone who now sits in this new bus lane queue every morning I completely agree with you. The thought of what it's going to be like when traffic levels approach normality post-lockdown is giving me the fear. 

Probably all it needs is to stop cars entering Queensferry road in rush hours from that kirkliston turn-off and for it to be a solid bus lane from there past the hotel. Would piss off folk driving from kirkliston but they could find another route.

45 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Maybe. A bit like motorists, you only really notice the absolute idiots. 

40 minutes ago, coprolite said:

When i'm cycling, motorists are c***s. 

When i'm driving, cyclists are c***s. 

The system is really quite simple. 

Both fair-ish points. I have to say in all the time I've been cycling I've only ever seen one boy put himself in serious danger. He wasn't paying attention exiting a junction and almost got pancaked by an artic lorry. Totally his own fault. 

One trip up the A9 would probably yield more examples of dangerous driving moves than I've seen from cyclists in 7 years.

4 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Both fair-ish points. I have to say in all the time I've been cycling I've only ever seen one boy put himself in serious danger. He wasn't paying attention exiting a junction and almost got pancaked by an artic lorry. Totally his own fault. 

One trip up the A9 would probably yield more examples of dangerous driving moves than I've seen from cyclists in 7 years.

To me, there is a clear difference between cyclists and just c***s on bikes. The cyclists have at least some kit (brakes as a minimum) and some idea of how to stay safe on the road. Other than red lights being optional, they don't cause much concern. 

The other species has one hand down their grey trackies and a spliff in the other, winding the wrong way down a one way street or along a pavement while they shout at the phone on their handlebars. At least these will do less damage on a bike. 

9 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

The seethe which cyclists manage to extract from motorists is absolutely fantastic btw. 

Indeed, i've been shouted at to " get off the f.....ng road" a few times by passing motorists for no other reason than they just hate cyclists. Wonderful.

4 hours ago, coprolite said:

When i'm cycling, motorists are c***s. 

When i'm driving, cyclists are c***s. 

The system is really quite simple. 

When I'm walking everyone is a c**t. Including fellow pedestrians! :lol:

5 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

When I'm walking everyone is a c**t. Including fellow pedestrians! :lol:

It's only when I'm walking that I get pissed off, especially crossing roads.

If I'm driving or cycling I'm pretty laid back.

Was overtaken at very close range (and high revs) by a Volvo estate whilst out on my cycle this morning. I caught up with them as they had to stop at temporary traffic lights just outside Kirknewton. I then noticed the two Alsatians in the tailgate...

It’s amazing how making full-on eye contact and baring your teeth in a growl can set off dogs into a barking frenzy. They were still going as I turned down towards East Calder.

20 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

Probably all it needs is to stop cars entering Queensferry road in rush hours from that kirkliston turn-off and for it to be a solid bus lane from there past the hotel. Would piss off folk driving from kirkliston but they could find another route.

Clocked this morning that this is one of those peak hours only bus lanes - kicks in at 7.30. Aim to pass it at 7.20 and you'll fly through as normal. 

1 minute ago, CountyFan said:

Clocked this morning that this is one of those peak hours only bus lanes - kicks in at 7.30. Aim to pass it at 7.20 and you'll fly through as normal. 

Ooft. I’m not that keen to get to work! 

3 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

Ooft. I’m not that keen to get to work! 

Fair. I do a 9 day fortnight so dont mind zooming in early to avoid the worst of it. Easier to do when you know you've every second friday to make up for it.