c***s on the road

No idea if this is right but I thought the speedometer was always 3-4 mph over what you are actually doing and there is also about the same difference in a speed gun if the police are using that.
I’m not sure what it is like in other parts of the country but it’s a general rule on the A9 from Inverness to Perth that you can drive just under 70 mph on the single carriageways and not get trouble, even with the average speed cameras. The dual carriageways are just go as fast as you want unless there is a police car sitting around.
The general rule is the speed limit plus 10% is allowed to account for inaccuracies in speedometers. Over that and you're fair game. And never admit to anything.

22 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

At least there are ways of legally getting past a c**t in the middle lane even if it is a pain in the arse. Folk who sit in the outside lane overtaking absolutely no one are the worst.

Agree 100%.  M74 is bad for this. Used to travel down to Borders at weekends in the morning, very light traffic and these bawbags in outside lane. All the usual offenders.

Also, as you go to overtake slower vehicle you look in mirrors and see them, look again few seconds later as you expect them to pass you but still haven't advanced on you.

I would like a Monty Python type foot to appear from the sky and sidewind these selfish morons off the road.

oh, maryhill mcdonalds.

Coming right out of there, road was busy due to the good weather. Gap opened up in the box junction. Cool, I'm peeking left and right and start creeping into it (my exit road was clear, theres a set of lights on the right which if you're exiting you can normally pick either the right or left lane depending on which is busier/if theres a bus stuck there too but there was room to complete my turn, yay).

As I move out into the box a woman in a red audi with her window down goes "Aye no bother m8" which I'm convinced was aimed at me since it was her motor I turned in front of. Only thing I can think is that the traffic was starting to move ahead of her and she was annoyed at having to wait for me to finish my turn?? but you can't see through the fucking building thats there on the left and its kinda irrelevant for me clearing the junction anyway tbh.

Headscratcher because she knew enough to keep the box junction clear and just really frustrating. One of those where if it was aimed at me I'm oblivious to what I did wrong and I'm playing it back in my head to figure out, don't like the thought of being a c**t on the road.

I wonder if its the speed I was taking my right turn at but its one of those when its as busy as that and the road is clogged left and right, you pretty much have to creep out of it in case someone is racing up to the lights from the left or theres a cyclist/motorbike/bus coming up that you haven't seen yet behind the stationary traffic (which can potentially change what lane you shoot for too but not often tbh)

Maybe 'twas I all along. I need a dashcam I reckon, might stop this happening in future!

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

5 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

oh, maryhill mcdonalds.

Coming right out of there, road was busy due to the good weather. Gap opened up in the box junction. Cool, I'm peeking left and right and start creeping into it (my exit road was clear, theres a set of lights on the right which if you're exiting you can normally pick either the right or left lane depending on which is busier/if theres a bus stuck there too but there was room to complete my turn, yay).

As I move out into the box a woman in a red audi with her window down goes "Aye no bother m8" which I'm convinced was aimed at me since it was her motor I turned in front of. Only thing I can think is that the traffic was starting to move ahead of her and she was annoyed at having to wait for me to finish my turn?? but you can't see through the fucking building thats there on the left and its kinda irrelevant for me clearing the junction anyway tbh.

Headscratcher because she knew enough to keep the box junction clear and just really frustrating. One of those where if it was aimed at me I'm oblivious to what I did wrong and I'm playing it back in my head to figure out, don't like the thought of being a c**t on the road.

I wonder if its the speed I was taking my right turn at but its one of those when its as busy as that and the road is clogged left and right, you pretty much have to creep out of it in case someone is racing up to the lights from the left or theres a cyclist/motorbike/bus coming up that you haven't seen yet behind the stationary traffic (which can potentially change what lane you shoot for too but not often tbh)

Maybe 'twas I all along. I need a dashcam I reckon, might stop this happening in future!

I'm not sure you need lessons in road etiquette from a fucking Audi driver. It's like getting anger management tips from the Incredible Hulk

Not sure I'm a fan of people driving through the ford in my village just for the sake of it. There's a very competent road bridge just along the road.

However, as this guy made an arse of getting out at the other side, it added to the gaiety of my wee sit on the bench for those few minutes today.
IMG_20210406_122744.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Empty It said:

Every cyclist is a c**t on the road, any political party that wants to legalise mowing them down would happily get my vote. (Except the Tories)

Hiya Grahame, Hiya pal!

I don't mind cyclists on the road. Rather there than the pavement. The problem is that a lot of them are ignorant of a) the Highway Code b) that there are laws of the road that apply to cyclists as well as motorists and c) such laws were designed for their safety e.g. the requirement for lights at night.

There's a sort of arrogance among some of them that says "I'm a cyclist and I can go anywhere I like". They certainly don't like being challenged for cycling on the pavement, that's for sure.

When I cycled regularly I chose quiet routes and wouldn't dream of cycling along some of Edinburgh's main arterial routes even though I could have  

Most crazy thing i've seen by a cyclist was in London (shock) 

Green man comes on and a pack of people start to cross the road, this cyclist in full yellow lycra must have been doing about 30mph, was still cycling to go faster and had zero intention of stopping for the red light which had been red for a good 10/15 seconds. He cycled right through the packed road full of people/kids/dogs with everyone jumping out of the way, how he never hit anyone i'll never know.  He cycled off in to the distance shaking his head in disbelief. 

Edited by red23

Hiya Grahame, Hiya pal!
I don't mind cyclists on the road. Rather there than the pavement. The problem is that a lot of them are ignorant of a) the Highway Code b) that there are laws of the road that apply to cyclists as well as motorists and c) such laws were designed for their safety e.g. the requirement for lights at night.
There's a sort of arrogance among some of them that says "I'm a cyclist and I can go anywhere I like". They certainly don't like being challenged for cycling on the pavement, that's for sure.
When I cycled regularly I chose quiet routes and wouldn't dream of cycling along some of Edinburgh's main arterial routes even though I could have  
Agreed the main problem is there ignorance and arrogance whilst on the road and the fact that they do whatever they like with no repercussions. There should definitely be atleast a theory test before you can take a bike onto the road. Also the number of them that are just permanently seething waving at cars shouting the odds despite being given a more than safe distance.

Cyclists and roundabouts was my issue the other day. I'm waiting to go round a small, but busy roundabout and there's a cyclist who's started to move with no indication and over far left, meaning he's heading straight on. Low and behold as I've started to go, he thrust his arm out at the last second to indicate he was existing the third and last turn. Now in reality this was a very minor annoyance for me and I was well clear before he even got to where I was; however if I'd been a little slower he'd have cycled straight into me. From now on I'm just going to assume all cyclists are going to ignore indication and simply wait for them to prove me right. 

Whilst my annoyance is very petty and nothing that isn't uncommon with both cyclists and drivers, the fact that he had his child cycling behind him and he still chose not to carry out the correct road signals on a busy roundabout is simply setting a terrible example. 

Agreed the main problem is there ignorance and arrogance whilst on the road and the fact that they do whatever they like with no repercussions. There should definitely be atleast a theory test before you can take a bike onto the road. Also the number of them that are just permanently seething waving at cars shouting the odds despite being given a more than safe distance.
I did a cycling proficiency test at primary school if that's any good?

I actually thought about getting a bike during lockdown but I genuinely don't think I could deal with the embarrassment of being that person who holds up traffic for miles while I try and peddle my way up a slight gradient at 3mph.

18 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I did a cycling proficiency test at primary school if that's any good?

I actually thought about getting a bike during lockdown but I genuinely don't think I could deal with the embarrassment of being that person who holds up traffic for miles while I try and peddle my way up a slight gradient at 3mph.

Maybe go faster if you didn't try to sell stuff as you go. 

On 02/04/2021 at 18:29, Thistle_do_nicely said:

oh, maryhill mcdonalds.

You're taking it far to personally. Just flick the vs, call her a c**t and carry on with your day. That's what the highway code says. 

2 hours ago, Empty It said:
10 hours ago, tamthebam said:
Hiya Grahame, Hiya pal!

Given most people who cycle also hold a driving licence and I'm not sure that will make much of a difference. 

The new bike lanes on Comiston and Lanark Roads in Edinburgh are a great bit of design. Don’t impact vehicle flow, create better parking spaces and a safer bike route. However.... the new bus lane on Queensferry Road is the most insane bit of road design I’ve ever seen. 

What was previously a busy but well-flowing bit of road now has half hour jams on both roads leading to it. To reach a bus lane of maybe a few hundred yards, buses and everyone else has to sit in queues on both the roads approaching Edinburgh. I’m sure they thought it would be a good idea but the result is if you want to drive or get a bus in to Edinburgh from Fife in the morning you’re quicker walking. 

a fairly sizeable parking lot by the Beatson centre at Gartnavel Hospital is comically poor - it's pretty narrow at large portions of it (especially when its rammed and cars are squeezing in wherever they can) but there's no visible one way markings. So you can happily be plodding along and then a car comes round the corner, with the two of you having to figure out who's going to wait around/attempt some kind of 4 point turn.

I kind of treat it as an imaginary one way system from left to right in the lot, keeping to the left as normal driving since its unmarked, but it really could do with a revamp there especially since every time you go in you're just about guaranteed some big stupid fucking SUV monstrosity will swing around into your path while you're looking for a space.

also, if anyone is familiar with the big parking lot at Tesco Maryhill - when you're coming out near the child spaces and going for the exit, theres a big give way marking as you're effectively at a one way system and joining a two way one, but I'm 99% sure there's no no-entry signs visible there at that junction of it (it goes from a one way system to two way at a few different points in the car park which compounds things). So on the odd occasion you get someone trying to turn into that bit just as you're approaching and positioning at the give way to turn right to the exit, which is not the most fun driving experience ever...

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

23 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Hiya Grahame, Hiya pal!

I had a one a wee while ago trying to tell me that he was legally allowed to cycle on the pavement after I rather helpfully pointed him in the direction of the road. He was absolutely insistent - I don’t know if it was pure arrogance or if he was just thick.