c***s on the road

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

I suppose Petty Things that Get on Your Nerves for this pish but car designs that make it hard to do a simple thing like change a bulb. The last car I had was a Citroen C3 and you needed to have arms like Stretch Armstrong to change the bloody bulb.  

17 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

My mechanic used to complain about that - can't remember which model in particular he was referring to.

I had a Scenic which I found impossible to change the bulb myself on. An AA video I found on YouTube suggested taking the front wheel of, and going in from under the wheel arch as the best route.

Thankfully I now drive a Nissan,  which is relatively easy.

Edited by Boghead ranter

I had a Scenic which I found impossible to change the bulb myself on. An AA video I found on YouTube suggested taking the front wheel of, and going in from under the wheel arch as the best route.
Thankfully I now drive a Nissan,  which is relatively easy.
As an owner of a scenic, it was quicker to remove the bumper and the headlight unit than try and fit my hand between the frame, the battery and the fuse box that seemed to be crammed in there.
Getting bulb out was easy, getting it in and sat right was not.

6 minutes ago, weirdcal said:

As an owner of a scenic, it was quicker to remove the bumper and the headlight unit than try and fit my hand between the frame, the battery and the fuse box that seemed to be crammed in there.
Getting bulb out was easy, getting it in and sat right was not.

See, if I tried that, I'd end up with a Scenic with no bumper or headlight unit. And a far bigger mechanic bill. 

6 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

See, if I tried that, I'd end up with a Scenic with no bumper or headlight unit. And a far bigger mechanic bill. 

That's why I leave those sort of issues to my mechanic.

51 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

hankfully I now drive a Nissan,  which is relatively easy.

When I bought my Nissan Note the rear radar was a novelty that was fun to play with until reversing into a skip, not occurring to me that the angle would fool it. Replacing the right rear light assembly was a piece of pish though.

On 29/12/2020 at 09:49, frankthetank22 said:

Cheers for the chat folk's.

I was made redundant a couple months ago but managed to secure a decent/good new job which keeps me in the same industry. The one issue is the 50min commute but I can deal with that (with the aid of podcasts).

I regard myself as an experienced and competent winter driver and always fit new winter tires every Nov/Dec but know how bad the road can become, last bad winter was 2010 imo.  We have two cars, an i30 which I can get 55mpg out of, plus a wee town car for the missus. My plan is to sell her town car and get a second hand 4x4 which she can use to her work/shops, and I can use in days with fresh snow.

I had read that the Panda 4x4 is surprisingly good in the snow, she likes the look of the RAV4. I've been checking FB marketplace & Gumtree for 4x4 vehicles with a new mot, just thought I'd put it to p&b for suggestions, in what to avoid even?

I was advised to stick a couple of ‘winter’ tyres on the rear of my car, as it’s my first winter driving a rear wheel drive. My car is very slidy, even in light rain, so I was quite worried how it would deal with ice and snow. 

Went for a couple of Bridgestones that cost much more than I would normally ever pay, but thought if it was going to keep me safe it was worth spending. To be fair, the past 4 or 5 mornings have been very icy in my street and you can feel the difference in grip from the old tyres (which you would expect tbf), although admittedly they were on their last legs. 

Got stuck behind a woman doing 30 mph in broad daylight on the open road. Granted it was a country road, but 40 -45 mph (or even more) would have been perfectly safe. She actually speeded up when we got into a 30 mph zone...

Edited by Jacksgranda

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

Got stuck behind a woman doing 30 mph in broad daylight on the open road. Granted it was a country road, but 40 -45 mph (or even more) would have been perfectly safe. She actually speeded up when we got into a 30 mph zone...

There’s an alarming amount of drivers that do that.  They don’t seem to recognise signs/ road conditions and instead change their speed based on some mental reasons they have made up.

Why do so many drivers find it acceptable never to indicate they're coming off the motorway until the last second, or not at all?

If there's nobody around aye fine but on a busy autobahn it makes a huge difference.
Was always taught to indicate at the first of the three strikes. Normally I'll do it at 2 but if the road is heaving and / or the conditions are wintery like yesterday I'll do it at the first.

It's like indicating is a sign of weakness or some nonsense.

33 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

This exact thing happened to me the other day. Infuriating 

On 31/12/2020 at 14:55, Boghead ranter said:

It just used to rip my knitting to hire a mechanic to changed a bulb!

I politely ask my missus to take the car to Halfords when one of its bulbs has expired. I like to consider myself non-sexist, but clearly I have work still to do... 

48 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Why do so many drivers find it acceptable never to indicate they're coming off the motorway until the last second, or not at all?

If there's nobody around aye fine but on a busy autobahn it makes a huge difference.
Was always taught to indicate at the first of the three strikes. Normally I'll do it at 2 but if the road is heaving and / or the conditions are wintery like yesterday I'll do it at the first.

It's like indicating is a sign of weakness or some nonsense.

What's the title of this thread?

21 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Renaults in general are a b*****d for any of the jobs that should be easy.

Yes, like arresting Viktor Laszlo. But they're quite good at letting Rick get away with shooting Major Strasser and rounding up the usual suspects 

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Yes, like arresting Viktor Laszlo. But they're quite good at letting Rick get away with shooting Major Strasser and rounding up the usual suspects 

That will be too obscure for many.  

Was driving Glasgow bound on the M8 today, just after Eurocentral it became pretty foggy.

In the outside lane there was a BMW cruising along at 70, with no lights on, and not for moving left, despite there being no traffic on either of the inside lanes.

I sat behind it for a while, but then gave up and moved in a lane. Didn't undertake as I wasn't in any huge hurry. Jag driver came along and had a try at the headlight flashing thing, which eventually worked., the driver moved over.

This gave me the chance to both overtake,  and find out who the c**t was. Turned out to be a daft female, who had deployed the classic cunty driving position of seat tipped so far forward that her chin was virtually on the steering wheel, and her hands were at 11:59/12:01, rather than the classic 10 to 2. She was so far forward, that's why she couldn't see in her mirrors, I reckon.

10 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Turned out to be a daft female, who had deployed the classic cunty driving position of seat tipped so far forward that her chin was virtually on the steering wheel, and her hands were at 11:59/12:01, rather than the classic 10 to 2. 

The Japanese sniper position as an old colleague used to call it