c***s on the road

Just now, welshbairn said:

Never heard of that happening, insane behaviour.

Its seemingly quite common, especially amongst lorry drivers of all people.

Advice I heard was to just let people be. There's a 1% chance of you being in accident if you let speeders past, which rises dramatically if you involve yourself.

7 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

Who the f**k does that...??? :o 

Frightening.  

Folk like this.

I doubt anyone on here is anywhere near this level, or willing to swing out in front of someone at full speed on a motorway, but it does happen and it does kill people, yet people still do it.

Brake testing is dangerous. You've no idea how in control of the car the person is behind you, you've no idea what state the car is in, you've no idea how experienced a driver they are. I've had new drivers write their cars off on a motorway because they've misread a sign, stamped on the brakes in a panic and swerve across the road into a ditch. If their in that cocky stage after passing their test, and you flick your brake lights at them, you're likely both fucked.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Its seemingly quite common, especially amongst lorry drivers of all people.

Advice I heard was to just let people be. There's a 1% chance of you being in accident if you let speeders past, which rises dramatically if you involve yourself.

I tend to be pretty well aware of cars around me so have generally pulled over before someone gets a chance to tailgate me. The only times I remember it happening is when there's nowhere to pull over to. I think the old Highway Code advice was to slow down as the braking distance required reduces at a lower speed. That's changed to keep a steady speed until there's a chance to pull over, because you don't want to annoy mad tailgaters. 

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I tend to be pretty well aware of cars around me so have generally pulled over before someone gets a chance to tailgate me. The only times I remember it happening is when there's nowhere to pull over to. I think the old Highway Code advice was to slow down as the braking distance required reduces at a lower speed. That's changed to keep a steady speed until there's a chance to pull over, because you don't want to annoy mad tailgaters. 

I'd never seen it before, but then it happened a couple of cars in front of me on the bypass between Broxden/Inveralmond. Boy in an RS4 clearly speeding down the overtaking lane when a Focus pulls out in front, despite it looking like there was nothing in front of him.

To me both are in the wrong there, and if there's a crash, both should get punished for it.

Absolutely shat myself and haven't driven the road since tbh.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Folk like this.

I doubt anyone on here is anywhere near this level, or willing to swing out in front of someone at full speed on a motorway, but it does happen and it does kill people, yet people still do it.

Brake testing is dangerous. You've no idea how in control of the car the person is behind you, you've no idea what state the car is in, you've no idea how experienced a driver they are. I've had new drivers write their cars off on a motorway because they've misread a sign, stamped on the brakes in a panic and swerve across the road into a ditch. If their in that cocky stage after passing their test, and you flick your brake lights at them, you're likely both fucked.

I'm actually astounded that neither of them got a full on belt in the face for their troubles.

Whilst I'm in no way an advocate of road rage, if anyone ever deserved a smack in the face it was this c**t.

2 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

Something (else) to be aware of then :rolleyes:  

I genuinely think I'm cursed at Broxden. 

Coming around it, with someone hanging on my arse, when cars in both lanes in front of me slow down because the police cars sitting in its usual spot.

Had to squeeze between them 😂

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Folk like this.

that video man... full garryoconnorpuffingcheeks.jpg

i know the video pretty much covers it but yeah, for flow of traffic afaik its vastly better to make use of as much space on all available lanes as possible; you're limited by the space and doing that avoids extending the huge tailbacks all the way down the road. can mind my driving instructor years ago explaining it to me when traffic was busy at a roundabout on a lesson, that traffic always moves more smoothly when you just let people in...

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Bad crash on the Edinburgh bypass westbound tonight at Hillend closing off a section, naturally this brings eastbound to a grinding halt due to all the freaks that have to slam on their breaks to see what's going on, what's wrong with these rubbernecking wankers?

Hope anybody in the crash isnt badly hurt.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Anyone who knows the M8 coming past Ibrox heading towards the City Centre, knows there is 2 lanes which continue along the M8 and 2 left hand lanes which fork off to either take you down to the Quay or onto the M74. I use the cut off taking me towards the M74 Monday to Friday, it’s a simple bit of road, plenty of time for everyone to get into the correct lane, never had any dramas...until Thursday lunchtime that is.

Travelling back from my lunch and see a car crawling along the furthest left hand side lane, with their right hand indicator on, but now past the chevrons that would allow you to take the right hand lane towards Glasgow City Centre. I’m coming along very slowly as I just knew this guy, who was now sitting almost stationary, was about to pull some madness and try and get across two lanes of motorway traffic and cut across the chevrons to continue on the M8. I was probably doing about 35mph as I was coming up on his driver side rear, watching him at all times, and as I get within about a cars length he decides that is the time to pull out, which forces me right and makes him slam his brakes on so that he is now sitting at a complete standstill, diagonally across two lanes of traffic. I turned and looked into him while shouting ‘what the f**k are you doing?’ and he’s sitting still looking for a space to cut across the chevrons. Honestly don’t know how people like that get through their life, how can you get to driving age and think that putting peoples life in danger because you’ve missed your cut off is acceptable. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Audi driver slamming the anchors on in front of me to inexplicably let someone across the other side of the lights turn right, even though said person wasnt ready for this and was obviously prepared to wait for the two cars with right of way to go before turning.

Even when they are being courteous they are c***s.

This brings me to a point that annoys me though.... Folk straining themselves to be "courteous" when theres actually no need for it.

Those who drive the M74 eastbound through Glasgow, you may know the short merge section with the M8.
You've got maybe a mile to decide "am I going to Lanarkshire or into the city centre"? . Loads of time.
The number of total @rseholes who wait to the very last minute to switch, cross over the fuckin chevrons, and into the 74 is unbelievable. Happened to me again last night. 
Having to slam the brakes on at 60mph on a motorway, when there is about 100m of empty road behind me that they could have used is a tad irritating.
20201202_071257.thumb.jpg.7f469a22e558585760c2df211b22e26f.jpg
Closest I've come to crashing for years was at that bit earlier on this year, and it was a private hire taxi that did the honours exactly as you describe. Thing is, I was driving an 18 ton council gritter, it was about 2.30 am, and we were the only two vehicles on the whole stretch of road. I just about had kittens trying to slow down and keep the gritter under control, while the fucker driving the taxi battered on completely oblivious to what was going on behind him.

28 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Audi driver slamming the anchors on in front of me to inexplicably let someone across the other side of the lights turn right, even though said person wasnt ready for this and was obviously prepared to wait for the two cars with right of way to go before turning.

This brings me to a point that annoys me though.... Folk straining themselves to be "courteous" when theres actually no need for it.

There’s a junction up beside my work that is always jammed, 2 lanes on each side of the road between two sets of traffic lights, and has a side road with people coming in the opposite direction wanting down it. I’ve now seen two pretty bad smashes where a car sitting stationary in one of the lanes flashes the car waiting to turn, and they proceed to the side street forgetting that there is another lane behind the car that has flashed, that has traffic moving at a faster speed because the lights have a filter allowing the cars in the left through about 30 seconds before the cars in the right lane. I parked up and got out my car at the first smash as it was an older woman who at first looked like she was having either a heart attack or some sort of fit.  Me and a couple of others were trying to calm her down but she was only interested in asking if we would be willing to tell the insurance company that someone had flashed her and the accident wasn’t her fault. I didn’t bother telling her that’s not how it works, I left my phone number as I had witnessed the accident but if the insurance company had ever got in contact with me the blame would have been completely on her.

Thank you. This kind of overly considerate driving does my head in.

The wee town I live in has a very narrow and twisty main street. It's effectively a long series of Passing Places which has turned into a nightmare world of cars stopping and having a friendly "no after you my good neighbour" stand-off until one guiltily goes through first. Ned Flanders driving school. Grrr.

8 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
On 02/12/2020 at 07:22, Academically Deficient said:
Those who drive the M74 eastbound through Glasgow, you may know the short merge section with the M8.
You've got maybe a mile to decide "am I going to Lanarkshire or into the city centre"? . Loads of time.
The number of total @rseholes who wait to the very last minute to switch, cross over the fuckin chevrons, and into the 74 is unbelievable. Happened to me again last night. 
Having to slam the brakes on at 60mph on a motorway, when there is about 100m of empty road behind me that they could have used is a tad irritating.
20201202_071257.thumb.jpg.7f469a22e558585760c2df211b22e26f.jpg

Closest I've come to crashing for years was at that bit earlier on this year, and it was a private hire taxi that did the honours exactly as you describe. Thing is, I was driving an 18 ton council gritter, it was about 2.30 am, and we were the only two vehicles on the whole stretch of road. I just about had kittens trying to slow down and keep the gritter under control, while the fucker driving the taxi battered on completely oblivious to what was going on behind him.

I think this is exactly the bit of road I was describing earlier, although I had some lunatic trying to get from the lane taking you to the M74, crossing the chevrons to get into the lanes that take you to the city centre/M8. 

6 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

There’s a junction up beside my work that is always jammed, 2 lanes on each side of the road between two sets of traffic lights, and has a side road with people coming in the opposite direction wanting down it. I’ve now seen two pretty bad smashes where a car sitting stationary in one of the lanes flashes the car waiting to turn, and they proceed to the side street forgetting that there is another lane behind the car that has flashed, that has traffic moving at a faster speed because the lights have a filter allowing the cars in the left through about 30 seconds before the cars in the right lane. I parked up and got out my car at the first smash as it was an older woman who at first looked like she was having either a heart attack or some sort of fit.  Me and a couple of others were trying to calm her down but she was only interested in asking if we would be willing to tell the insurance company that someone had flashed her and the accident wasn’t her fault. I didn’t bother telling her that’s not how it works, I left my phone number as I had witnessed the accident but if the insurance company had ever got in contact with me the blame would have been completely on her.

Where there are two lanes of traffic going in the same direction it is extremely silly/dangerous to (a) "flash" somebody on (b) "flashee" to go on