c***s on the road

3 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I was driving back from Edinburgh Airport on the M8 about 1am yesterday morning. I'm dog-tired so bombing it at 100mph since there was nothing else on the road. I got to the roadworks where the speed limit is 40MPH, but they make you slow down a good mile before they actually start, so I'm still doing a good 80mph when I spotted a police car on one of those raised bits to the left. I must still have been doing 60mph when I actually passed them and I fully expected the blue lights and to get pulled over but nothing. Does that mean I've definitely got away with it, or could I still get a ticket in the post? 

Probably asleep

50 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

^^^c**t on the road.

Well that's why I posted it here. But I don't think driving at 100mph on an empty motorway in good weather condition in a modern car  is much more dangerous than driving at 70mph in worse conditions. 

1 minute ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Well that's why I posted it here. But I don't think driving at 100mph on an empty motorway in good weather condition in a modern car  is much more dangerous than driving at 70mph in worse conditions. 

Not normally but if you're dog-tired it's as dangerous as being drunk.

9 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

It is when you state you’re dog tired.

On 08/10/2019 at 16:34, Dee Man said:

- Drivers sat hogging the outside lane completely oblivious to any vehicles behind them while the left or middle lane sits empty. 

Am I missing something here? I didn't think undertaking was an offence on multiple lane roads in Australia (and a quick wiki search seems to back this up). Why not just overtake them in the left or middle lane and not let them bother you?

1 minute ago, Clum's Choreographer said:

Am I missing something here? I didn't think undertaking was an offence on multiple lane roads in Australia (and a quick wiki search seems to back this up). Why not just overtake them in the left or middle lane and not let them bother you?

Yes, you are missing something here - there is usually other vehicles in the left lanes. The right hand lane is for overtaking and the law is you drive on the left on any road where the limit is >90km/h. 

It's maybe easy to zip in and out of traffic in a car, not so much when you're pulling a 60ft trailer or three.

3 hours ago, FalkirkBairn93 said:

Absolutely detest those who come off a round about on to a dual carriageway from the outside line and instead of merging into the outside lane, cut off the car in the inside line to enter the dual carriage way on the inside lane. Nonces IMO.

Hate that, but not sure who's got the right of way in that situation. Signalling doesn't help much, especially if you're just coming onto the roundabout to take the first exit, and some twat pulls over to the inside lane.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

Yes, you are missing something here - there is usually other vehicles in the left lanes. The right hand lane is for overtaking and the law is you drive on the left on any road where the limit is >90km/h. 

It's maybe easy to zip in and out of traffic in a car, not so much when you're pulling a 60ft trailer or three.

How the f**k do you reverse with 3 trailers? Needed therapy after trying to reverse 2 small ones with a tractor.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

How the f**k do you reverse with 3 trailers? Needed therapy after trying to reverse 2 small ones with a tractor.

With great difficulty. The idea is to plan your entire journey ahead to ensure no reversing is required. 

On 13/11/2019 at 10:44, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I was driving back from Edinburgh Airport on the M8 about 1am yesterday morning. I'm dog-tired so bombing it at 100mph since there was nothing else on the road. I got to the roadworks where the speed limit is 40MPH, but they make you slow down a good mile before they actually start, so I'm still doing a good 80mph when I spotted a police car on one of those raised bits to the left. I must still have been doing 60mph when I actually passed them and I fully expected the blue lights and to get pulled over but nothing. Does that mean I've definitely got away with it, or could I still get a ticket in the post? 

If it's a car and they didn't chase you, you'll be absolutely fine. In case it was still on your mind. 

7 hours ago, The Master said:

Hanging is too good for the utter arseholes who use their fog lights at the slightest hint of mist.

Agreed. Fair enough on some obscure country road with very little traffic but for just about everyone to use them on a crowded motorway or bypass at the same time is ridiculous. Vehicles slightly further behind often can’t see if people are applying their brakes up ahead.

p.s. I have never used fog lights before, in fact I have no idea how to switch them on in my car.

Agreed. Fair enough on some obscure country road with very little traffic but for just about everyone to use them on a crowded motorway or bypass at the same time is ridiculous. Vehicles slightly further behind often can’t see if people are applying their brakes up ahead.
p.s. I have never used fog lights before, in fact I have no idea how to switch them on in my car.
Nearly went into the back of somebody last night as had spent that long being distracted by their completely unnecessary fog light that I never noticed they had applied their brakes quite heavily! In 20 years of driving I think I've needed to put my fog lights on about 3 times!