c***s on the road

Outstandingly satisfying moment yesterday on the approach to the Queensferry Crossing.

It was down to one lane and even at 10pm there was a massive tailback - all in one lane of course. There were a few cars passed me in the outside lane and before I had a chance to move over myself, the self-appointed member of the motorway police in front moved over to straddle both lanes. Arsehole.

Revenge was sweet, though. When the actual closure arrived, enough of us kept closing the gap so he couldn't get back in until at least a dozen or so cars passed him, despite him trying to force his way in (irony off the scale). I can just imagine him sitting there wondering why we weren't all thanking him.

I still say that when a single lane is closing, all traffic should be merged into the middle before being pushed to the side that's staying open. It might be the only way people actually understand what merge in turn is. 

1 hour ago, The Master said:

and before I had a chance to move over myself

the self-appointed member of the motorway police in front moved over to straddle both lanes

Arsehole

before I had a chance to move over myself

Arsehole

and before I had a chance to move over myself

Arsehole

You still can't prove he was speeding though as this can't be proven from the naked eye. As mentioned, unless your camera is calibrated and can prove what speed the other guy is doing then you wouldn't be able to rely on this as an argument.

Well you can as there’s set distances between certain road markers and the time it takes to cover that distance allows the speed to be calculated.

1 hour ago, BigBo10 said:

Well you can as there’s set distances between certain road markers and the time it takes to cover that distance allows the speed to be calculated.

If the dashcam isn't calibrated (which is unlikely) you've no proof that the film speed is 'in real time' so the time taken isn't deemed accurate enough to calculate speed so it's inadmissible.  

The only footage the cops use to prove speeding is their own. They do use other (public if ya like) footage for other offences of course.

In Inverness in the area I live and work (Culduthel) there is the Southern Distributor that goes through it, there's what feels like about 64 roundabout on a 3 mile stretch of road.

Anyway on each roundabout there isn't any road markings with the arrows telling you which lane to get into for what direction you want to go, and I've seen an ever increasing trend of (usually middle aged men) going in the left hand lane, indicating right, and going straight over the roundabout.

I think their logic is 'well I'm going to be turning the steering wheel right so I need to indicate right'.  His lane choice is a grey area but at no point is he going right.  He goes left, as everyone does at a roundabout,then straightens up to take the exit that is 'straight on' if you like.

He should not be indicating at all on his approach, then when he clears the last exit before the one he wants to take, he should indicate left.

Fucking morons.

6 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Did folk get taught to indicate right to go on a roundabout at some point? It seems really common among older drivers.

When we older drivers were learning to drive there weren't any roundabouts...

3 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Did folk get taught to indicate right to go on a roundabout at some point? It seems really common among older drivers.

Indicate right if you are leaving a junction that is past straight on, indicate left once passed the exit before to the one that you require was what we were taught.  According to the current highway code this is still the signalling that should be used.

Just now, MixuFixit said:

No I mean some older version. You see some auld yins indicate right even if they're going straight or left.

I see plenty of people younger than me indicate right to go straight on.  I don't think it's an age thing, more a canna fucking drive thing.

22 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

You still can't prove he was speeding though as this can't be proven from the naked eye. As mentioned, unless your camera is calibrated and can prove what speed the other guy is doing then you wouldn't be able to rely on this as an argument.

Guess I'll be getting the chap at the door any time now, then...

Alternatively, 1) the wee jobby may have considered my advice and not bothered taking the 'video' to the polis after all. For whatever reason;

or even 2) the wee jobby took it to the polis and they chased him.

Edited by scw1987

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

In Inverness in the area I live and work (Culduthel) there is the Southern Distributor that goes through it, there's what feels like about 64 roundabout on a 3 mile stretch of road.

If you take the new bypass connecting to it from Glenurquhart Road to Inshes, the roundabouts approach infinity. 

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Anyway on each roundabout there isn't any road markings with the arrows telling you which lane to get into for what direction you want to go, and I've seen an ever increasing trend of (usually middle aged men) going in the left hand lane, indicating right, and going straight over the roundabout.

I think their logic is 'well I'm going to be turning the steering wheel right so I need to indicate right'.  His lane choice is a grey area but at no point is he going right.  He goes left, as everyone does at a roundabout,then straightens up to take the exit that is 'straight on' if you like.

He should not be indicating at all on his approach, then when he clears the last exit before the one he wants to take, he should indicate left.

Fucking morons.

30 mins ago I watched a taxi driver do this.

To the surprise of nobody ever that a taxi driver can't actually drive.

Bonus point though for a taxi driver who actually indicated even if it was wrong

32 minutes ago, strichener said:

I see plenty of people younger than me indicate right to go straight on.  I don't think it's an age thing, more a canna fucking drive thing.

Seen a few people on lessons make mistakes like not indicating. Sincerely hope the instructor asked them about it or they're starting that bad habit before they have a licence

Just now, TheScarf said:

Just checked there, including the Inches roundabout and the one at the swing bridge at the other end of the new bypass, there's 13 roundabouts.  

Feels like a lot more, surprised by that.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

If you take the new bypass connecting to it from Glenurquhart Road to Inshes, the roundabouts approach infinity. 

Just checked there, including the Inches roundabout and the one at the swing bridge at the other end of the new bypass, there's 13 roundabouts.  

Only about 3 of these have lane markings, so you can imagine how many fucking dickheads are just choosing what ever lane they fancy and just sticking their indicator on at random.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Only about 3 of these have lane markings, so you can imagine how many fucking dickheads are just choosing what ever lane they fancy and just sticking their indicator on at random.

The speed limits seem to change between 30 and 40 and back for no apparent reason too, which I'm a bit paranoid about with 6 points. I live near Glenurquhart Road, and I usually end up going through town and the Crown instead to get to Inshes, which kind of does away with the point of the new West Link. 

There is a roundabout/ circle on the Lochee bypass that the drivers do my nut in.

There's a hatched area on the inside and two lanes. Drivers routinely either drive across the hatched area or straddle both lanes...

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The speed limits seem to change between 30 and 40 and back for no apparent reason too, which I'm a bit paranoid about with 6 points. I live near Glenurquhart Road, and I usually end up going through town and the Crown instead to get to Inshes, which kind of does away with the point of the new West Link. 

I've never noticed that.  I always do 45-50 along it. 😎

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Feels like a lot more, surprised by that.

Just because you go round them all 3 times because you're not sure of your exit, it doesn't mean there are 39 of them.

Anyway, todays rant - maybe this should be c**** in a car park - I was in two different car parks today, both of which have a one way system to allow traffic to flow. They might as well have signs saying "Drive whatever f****** direction you want, particularly if you're a female and driving a people carrier". 

Unbelievable the amount of people who blithely ignored the one way system. Not helped by the fact that the vast majority of cars nowadays appear not to have indicators.

The car park at the retail park at the beach at Aberdeen.

As you drive in you coming down the middle of the car park. As you get to the bottom of the entrance road the road is clearly marked that have right of way for going on to the right towards the Asda.

The number of fucknuggets coming from the left despite there being clear give way markings that just go straight on or turn right to exit and cut you up nearly causing an accident is unbelievable