c***s on the road

2 queues allow the road to hold more traffic, therefore a 4 mile tailback using a single lane becomes a 2 mile tailback using two lanes. As pointed out earlier, the rate of progress through the bottleneck is identical.

Except when some knobend tries to force their way in at the last minute, causing traffic to bunch up and slow down.

We might be going through the bottleneck at the same rate, but it makes absolutely no sense to not use up the available road space before that point.

All you achieve by having everyone merge early is create longer queues, so instead of using the full length of the slip road we use half of it, this now means instead of having a queue on the slip road we have have a queue that clogs up the roundabout on the approach, this now means we have a % of cars that are sitting in a queue of traffic because of a bottleneck on a road they are not even using, holding them up with no reason,

And since these drivers are being held up then those that are going towards the bottleneck now need to sit behind traffic that doesn’t have to be there.

This queue being longer than needed then blocks a junction, which slows down a road that is not related to the bottleneck several miles away...

We might be going through the bottleneck at the same rate, but it makes absolutely no sense to not use up the available road space before that point.

All you achieve by having everyone merge early is create longer queues, so instead of using the full length of the slip road we use half of it, this now means instead of having a queue on the slip road we have have a queue that clogs up the roundabout on the approach, this now means we have a % of cars that are sitting in a queue of traffic because of a bottleneck on a road they are not even using, holding them up with no reason,

And since these drivers are being held up then those that are going towards the bottleneck now need to sit behind traffic that doesn’t have to be there.

This queue being longer than needed then blocks a junction, which slows down a road that is not related to the bottleneck several miles away...

This is common sense. But apparently someone nipping in front of you is more important.

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

You're forgetting that the car in the RH lane has already travelled the length of the car in the LH lane.

Shortest distance between two points is a straight line.

Yes but it got there at normal speed.  The shortest distance isn't always the quickest.

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

"Excuses for me driving like a c**t" thread for this pish.

Self-reflection is a great thing.  Well done you.

33 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Don't disagree with this but that's about what's good for the road network, not what's best for the drivers in the queue at the bottleneck.

I do a fair bit of driving and to my mind this could be sorted by having clear signage saying "Filter Now" at set points.  The way it works now, when drivers see the sign saying lane closure in 800 yds, a lot of them immediately slow down and try to filter, some of them drive on a bit before trying to filter and some drive right up to the very end and try and force their way in. Then you've got the lorry drivers that pull out to stop people getting past them.  It's a mess and the idea that traffic zips along smoothly filtering efficiently is a fantasy. If people can't do it naturally, there has to be clear rules then no-one feels people are taking the pish.

Don't disagree with this but that's about what's good for the road network, not what's best for the drivers in the queue at the bottleneck.

I do a fair bit of driving and to my mind this could be sorted by having clear signage saying "Filter Now" at set points.  The way it works now, when drivers see the sign saying lane closure in 800 yds, a lot of them immediately slow down and try to filter, some of them drive on a bit before trying to filter and some drive right up to the very end and try and force their way in. Then you've got the lorry drivers that pull out to stop people getting past them.  It's a mess and the idea that traffic zips along smoothly filtering efficiently is a fantasy. If people can't do it naturally, there has to be clear rules then no-one feels people are taking the pish.

People are universally stupid.

We need ‘lane closed in 1 mile, don’t panic you fud, your going 5mph it fucking ages away’

‘Lane closing in 800 yards, still don’t merge, its still ages away’

‘Lane closed in 500 yards, is there a big gap? You can merge if there is’

‘Lane closing in 300 yards, stick your indicator on waiting for a gap to appear, there’s still space tho so you absolutely no need to stop’

‘Lane closing in 100 yards, ok you really need to be merging soon’

‘Lane closed, why are you not merged yet?’

On the other lane you can have similar ,

‘Don’t sit in this lane when the other 1 is clear, reduce congestion’

‘Yes I know you have been sitting in this queue for ages, but there’s 2 lanes and they are perfectly entitled to use them’

‘Ok no need to get angry, your weird uptightness isn’t helping’

‘Just let them merge ok?’

‘Aye he’s been a fanny, but unfortunately you sitting there refusing to let them in is holding up everyone else as well’

I was sitting in the passenger seat the other week training a new guy at work and he says, "You know what I've never understood, why you have to indicate coming off a roundabout - other drivers can't see it".

giphy-downsized-large.gif

It would be far easier to fit the road the robot war style flipping floors anyone acting like a c**t gets flipped, this would work particularly well on the queensferry crossing. 

Does anyone know why when there is a bump in the outside lane they don't clear it early and divert all traffic in the hard shoulder and lane 1?

Surely the logic behind using the merge lane isn’t that hard to grasp? I immediately assume anyone who gets raging about others using it properly is a complete simpleton who doesn’t understand the Highway Code.

Witnessed a belter in Dundee City Centre today. Middle aged guy in full road rage state, fist down on the horn, undertaking a young lassie then trying to block her progress by stopping his car diagonally across her car and leaping out to confront her.

Unfortunately for him he left just enough space for the lassie to squeeze through and get away, leaving the raging c**t apoplectic and on the receiving end of jeers of derision from witnesses nearby...

Edited by Angusfifer

10 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Have to admit, there’s something incredibly enjoyable in watching this happen and the beetroot-face causing seethe it generates in the person being held up.

Turning left at lights out of Tesco Camelon, theres a wee 100 yard or so relief lane that merges at the next set of lights. Idiot in front of me caused me to miss the lights by refusing to go into the relief lane, instead waiting on the static traffic, which never moved. Seething

Guest Moomintroll
Have to admit, there’s something incredibly enjoyable in watching this happen and the beetroot-face causing seethe it generates in the person being held up.
They are always gammon faced c***s driving BMWs or Audis who believe their middle management jobs make them more entitled than any other person on the planet.

13 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The moronic woman who pulled out on me from Braeview Academy the other day and almost hit the driver's door.

How the f**k on a clear day with a road that is clear either side for 200 yards did you not see me you fucking idiot?

I’ll never be able to comprehend the people who will pull out right in front of you - causing you to hit the breaks - all the while there’s no other cars behind for several hundred yards.

Can they not just wait 5 seconds until you’ve passed then they’ll have all the time in the world to drive like an idiot?

On 21/06/2019 at 07:36, NewBornBairn said:

Not quite the same thing - 

https://www.businessinsider.com/more-efficient-better-stand-escalators-busy-tfl-holborn-tube-station-study-walk-2017-3?r=US&IR=T

They're not filtering down to one lane half way up the escalator.

Thanks for the reference , always good to be kept right 

Turning left out of shopping centre car park, big people carrier coming down the street indicating left, so I decide to make a move (I know, you're not supposed to move until you see their wheels turning) as there was another car behind them going straight on, and of course I couldn't wait.

Fat f****** sailed straight on, fortunately I was able to stop, continuing to indicate left causing much confusion to other road users. Turned off their indicators just before they were actually turning left, turning them on just in time to turn left.

C*****.

23 hours ago, eez-eh said:

I’ll never be able to comprehend the people who will pull out right in front of you - causing you to hit the breaks - all the while there’s no other cars behind for several hundred yards.

Can they not just wait 5 seconds until you’ve passed then they’ll have all the time in the world to drive like an idiot?

^ This. They will then proceed to sit in front of you 20mph slower than you were originally going.

On the A82 Loch Lomond road yesterday and this morning, I ended up being stuck behind a slow driver. I don't think these people have any awareness of the queues they create. 45mph in a 60 zone and they also brake for absolutely no reason.

3 hours ago, microdave said:

On the A82 Loch Lomond road yesterday and this morning, I ended up being stuck behind a slow driver. I don't think these people have any awareness of the queues they create. 45mph in a 60 zone and they also brake for absolutely no reason.

The quality of camera phone picture they can take is far greater at 45 than it is at 60.