St Mirren v Morton

6 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

Someone want to explain the complaining about the St Mirren commentary to me? I'm not getting the problem.

Not sure if serious :lol:

It's basically the co-commentator. I'm not sure who he is - obviously a true fan - but he is ridiculously partisan. IMO no commentator anywhere - even on club broadcasts/streams such St Mirren TV - should be saying 'we'. It's unprofessional.

He also loses the plot when we score and sounds suicidal when we concede. He often borders on pure cheerleading - at 0-0 the other day, he was saying 'Mooon Saints, we need a goal here...' :unsure:

I think it sounds daft when other clubs have exceptionally biased commentary, and I think it sounds daft when we do.

I think that covers it :lol:

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's basically the co-commentator. I'm not sure who he is - obviously a true fan - but he is ridiculously partisan. IMO no commentator anywhere - even on club broadcasts/streams such St Mirren TV - should be saying 'we'. It's unprofessional.

He also loses the plot when we score and sounds suicidal when we concede. He often borders on pure cheerleading - at 0-0 the other day, he was saying 'Mooon Saints, we need a goal here...' :unsure:

I think it sounds daft when other clubs have exceptionally biased commentary, and I think it sounds daft when we do.

He is the lecturer for media at the Uni  big Saints fan i like his ott enthusiasm and why not i dont just stand and clap my hands when we score do you ? 

53 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

He is the lecturer for media at the Uni  big Saints fan i like his ott enthusiasm and why not i dont just stand and clap my hands when we score do you ? 

No, of course not, but I'm not commentating on the TV/radio. I just like a bit of professionalism.

The guy's a lecturer in media, FFS, he should be leading by example. The commentary should be Saints leaning, not Saints partisan - there's an important distinction to make and it's a crucial part of reporting.

If that was my job, and I was doing the commentary, firstly people would be wondering what that English c**t was doing on St Mirren TV. Secondly, I'd make sure that I was demonstrating the fact that, even as a lifelong Saints fan, I was able, at the very least, to refer to St Mirren in the third person when needed.

8 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

Someone want to explain the complaining about the St Mirren commentary to me? I'm not getting the problem.

The main commentator is OK-ish, it's his wallopper friend who might (for all we know) be a lovely guy in person but has the accent and delivery that causes annoyance levels high enough that the Dalai Lama himself would stick the head on him within 5 minutes of listening.

3 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

No, of course not, but I'm not commentating on the TV/radio. I just like a bit of professionalism.

The guy's a lecturer in media, FFS, he should be leading by example. The commentary should be Saints leaning, not Saints partisan - there's an important distinction to make and it's a crucial part of reporting.

If that was my job, and I was doing the commentary, firstly people would be wondering what that English c**t was doing on St Mirren TV. Secondly, I'd make sure that I was demonstrating the fact that, even as a lifelong Saints fan, I was able, at the very least, to refer to St Mirren in the third person when needed.

From an impartial point of view, If i was watching highlights of a teams TV channel, I would expect them to be fully bias towards their own so i don't really see an issue with it.

Aye the co commentator is a bit of  a pain, but so is Michael Owen!

the nice thing about biased commentators on ClubTV is that, no matter how shite/biased/roaster-friendly it is, nothing will ever top the detestable and hilarious RangersTV (e.g. their "Dublin-born Conor Pepper" comment before we scored at Ibrox a few seasons back)

55 minutes ago, madton said:

From an impartial point of view, If i was watching highlights of a teams TV channel, I would expect them to be fully bias towards their own so i don't really see an issue with it.

That's pretty much how I see it. It's St. Mirren TV. What the f**k are people expecting here?

49 minutes ago, tonnitus said:

the nice thing about biased commentators on ClubTV is that, no matter how shite/biased/roaster-friendly it is, nothing will ever top the detestable and hilarious RangersTV (e.g. their "Dublin-born Conor Pepper" comment before we scored at Ibrox a few seasons back)

Followed by a quiet, hurting, “McCluskey scores” :lol: 

But it's ST MIRREN TV! I didn't even think he said too much wrong. Even made a couple of decent observations. He enjoyed your goals a hell of a lot, but besides that, I'm genuinely not seeing any problem.

EDIT: The guy's audience is St. Mirren supporters. Why should he not be biased?

3 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Agree.

Arthur Montford was famously commenting on a game at Cappielow. Morton scored and there was an audible “thump” as his microphone got dumped on the desk, as he stood up and let out a not very faint “Yeeeessss!” - before resuming the unbiased commentary.

I don't mind bias, it's to be expected in house, but like Coventry Saint I'd like a bit of professionalism. Be biased, but also don't have massive mood swings during the game.

No, my issue, and it might seem petty,  but in the way some people have "a face for radio", well this lad has "a voice for braille". 

I hope the lad, if he's reading this, isn't offended. It's not meant to be a personal attack on someone just doing a job (I presume) they love.

29 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

But it's ST MIRREN TV! I didn't even think he said too much wrong. Even made a couple of decent observations. He enjoyed your goals a hell of a lot, but besides that, I'm genuinely not seeing any problem.

EDIT: The guy's audience is St. Mirren supporters. Why should he not be biased?

It never ceases to amaze me the number of our fans who moan about biased commentary when watching a stream of one of our games provided by another club :lol:

Just now, Buddist Monk said:

As a commentator, it literally is. Quite literally.

For St. Mirren TV? No. It isn't. Every single club TV is the same. Why should his job be different? Because thin skinned morons can't take it? Get a grip.

1 minute ago, Randy Giles said:

For St. Mirren TV? No. It isn't. 

The fact you have to highlight the specific niche market; St Mirren TV, only goes to show it's important to appeal to your audience.

It's not that I don't get your point, but if these people are doing this as education/profession then they'll know that themselves.

2 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

Because thin skinned morons can't take it? Get a grip.

* wow, that escalated quickly meme *

Calm down there, Tonto, I don't think anyone's jimmies are getting overly rustled here.

On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 16:23, GiGi said:

We've yet to come to who's da would batter a'bdy else's da; who has the biggest number of fans taking class As intravenously; who has a Celtic shop in their stadium etc.

i don't understand how a deal that we made a right good few quid from can be seen as a bad thing.

on the other hand which championship ground do you reguarly see celtic and sevco tops being worn?that's a complete riddy.:lol:

55 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Agree.

Arthur Montford was famously commenting on a game at Cappielow. Morton scored and there was an audible “thump” as his microphone got dumped on the desk, as he stood up and let out a not very faint “Yeeeessss!” - before resuming the unbiased commentary.

I actually had the pleasure of meeting Arthur through work and he was a total gentleman. He loved the ton but was a great supporter of the game in general, with not a bad word to say about anyone.

I don't see anything wrong with biased club commentary. It should be professional but making it sanitised to the point where they refer to their own club in the third person would be terrible. 

It is generally done by fans, for fans of that club. They're biased by definition. 

Archived