Smacking Ban

Just now, ayrmad said:

True but then her kid might be a wee quiet one, the test comes when you get a wee monster that doesn't do consequences, there are kids out there that would test the patience and control of the best of them.

I regularly teach classes of 30+ pupils in which 15 or more could test the patience of Mother Theresa herself (at the times she wasn't being an old boot, that is).

The thought of hitting them never comes into my head, and nor would it if I was allowed to. And those aren't my own kids.

I've said this before on here, but when my oldest was younger I accidentally trapped her finger in a door. The look she gave me - fear, pain, misery - will stay with me until the day I die. And within 5 minutes she was playing away like nothing happened.

The thought of giving my kids that look of fear, pain and misery deliberately is absolutely barbaric.

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

I've said this before on here, but when my oldest was younger I accidentally trapped her finger in a door. The look she gave me - fear, pain, misery - will stay with me until the day I die. And within 5 minutes she was playing away like nothing happened.

The thought of giving my kids that look of fear, pain and misery deliberately is absolutely barbaric.

If you think smacking a child means causing the same amount of pain as trapping their finger in a door, then yes, you definitely shouldn't do it.

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I regularly teach classes of 30+ pupils in which 15 or more could test the patience of Mother Theresa herself (at the times she wasn't being an old boot, that is).

The thought of hitting them never comes into my head, and nor would it if I was allowed to. And those aren't my own kids.

Aye, but I bet she never put her finger in a door again.

Just now, Gaz said:

Kids carrying on in a class doesn't remotely equate to having a nightmare child 24/7.

It's easy for people to take the moral high ground in hypotheticals,  I've been through it, I know I can handle it.

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

A lot of posters on this thread must have a great view from the top of their high horses.

Hope they remember to clean up their shit.

Against leathering weans = up on a high horse :lol:

Pretty sure that 'I don't skelp kids around' really isn't a statement that takes 'the moral high ground', 'high horse', or whatever hackneyed phrase you'd like to use, seeing as it is 2017. It'd be a strange and rather disturbing addition to a personal statement, that's for sure. 

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Against leathering weans = up on a high horse :lol:

That's the problem on this debate, those "better than the rests" equate a tap on the arse as battering your wean up and down the house, Finnie will only class it as assault when he's on the news, it's not a credible position in my opinion.

1 minute ago, ayrmad said:

That's the problem on this debate, those "better than the rests" equate a tap on the arse as battering your wean up and down the house, Finnie will only class it as assault when he's on the news, it's not a credible position in my opinion.

So does a tap on the arse stop a child being a nightmare child 24/7?

5 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

I just punch my horse until it learns to stop shitting. 

That's what most of the rest of us would do (lightly physically chastise, please), but you're supposed to reason with it.