Smacking Ban

1 minute ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Thinking it's okay to smack a child. Fucking hell. 

An old boot at my physio class had a go at me for not smacking my 16 month old. I had told her my daughter was trying to open the kitchen cupboards so we had put locks on them. She said I was enabling her bad behaviour and should smack her. A 16 month old defenceless child. I was seething. 

Disgusting anyone thinks it's an acceptable form of punishment. 

You could have used a device on the door that administers a small electric shock for future protection.

1 minute ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Thinking it's okay to smack a child. Fucking hell. 

An old boot at my physio class had a go at me for not smacking my 16 month old. I had told her my daughter was trying to open the kitchen cupboards so we had put locks on them. She said I was enabling her bad behaviour and should smack her. A 16 month old defenceless child. I was seething. 

Disgusting anyone thinks it's an acceptable form of punishment. 

If you think you can predict and prevent everything of this nature happening to your child, you are in for some nasty surprises :(

Just now, G_Man1985 said:

Whats the difference between being sent to sit on a step or being hit fairly hard ?
I see a difference?

Good old P & B picking up the ball and running with it though,  bravo, nice attempt to polarise things. Try rereading what I typed, I mentioned the process of smacking and NOT being painful.

Still, at least its something to get yourself worked up over eh ?

1 minute ago, chomp my root said:

Good old P & B picking up the ball and running with it though,  bravo, nice attempt to polarise things. Try rereading what I typed, I mentioned the process of smacking and NOT being painful.

Still, at least its something to get yourself worked up over eh ?

I'm going to assume you're at it. 

9 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

a lot of the time its not even painful, especially with the younger ones, its more the process of being smacked. 

What evidence do you have to support this ridiculous claim? Do younger children naturally possess pads and helmets for when you or anyone else wants to skelp them around the place?

Just now, chomp my root said:

You'd be assuming wrong, read what I wrote and then the reply.

How do you know it's not painful for a baby/toddler/child to get smacked by a grown adult? Just because you're not hitting them as hard as you can doesn't mean it doesn't hurt them :lol:

Just now, G_Man1985 said:

If it's not painful why hit them? I don't see why you would hit your child but then that's just me as a dad. A telling off or calming the situation down usually works for my kids.
Wouldn't say I'm worked up about. Been here long enough :-)

Its the whole 'ritual' aspect to it, I'm surprised this needs clarification.  Not dissimilar to when a kid falls over, realises they have fallen over, has a think about it then decides to start greeting because they think they should.

16 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

Yes.

It’s trolling to suggest grown adults hitting children is quite rightly becoming a crime? Are all the governments across the planet who have introduced this law also trolling?

You're trolling by saying the reason parents smack their children is so they can get a thrill out of it. 

Just now, Honest Saints Fan said:

I can accurately predict I'll never hit her because I'm not a scumbag.

If she's 16 months old you may find you've still got a lot to learn about parenting.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

What evidence do you have to support this ridiculous claim? Do younger children naturally possess pads and helmets for when you or anyone else wants to skelp them around the place?

Just now, LiviLion said:

How do you know it's not painful for a baby/toddler/child to get smacked by a grown adult? Just because you're not hitting them as hard as you can doesn't mean it doesn't hurt them :lol:

This doesn't need explained surely. 

5 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

If it's not painful why hit them? I don't see why you would hit your child but then that's just me as a dad. A telling off or calming the situation down usually works for my kids.

Wouldn't say I'm worked up about. Been here long enough :-)

Does having a discussion mean I'm getting worked up for having an opinion?

My daughter would be more scarred by me screaming blue murder in her face than getting a tap on the arse?

Where's the logic in only banning one. The less traumatic one. 

Shite law

2 minutes ago, nsr said:

If she's 16 months old you may find you've still got a lot to learn about parenting.

True but then her kid might be a wee quiet one, the test comes when you get a wee monster that doesn't do consequences, there are kids out there that would test the patience and control of the best of them.

1 minute ago, whiskychimp said:

My daughter would be more scarred by me screaming blue murder in her face than getting a tap on the arse?

Shite law

It's truly remarkable how many qualified legal and trauma experts post on this football forum tbh. 

2 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

Shite law

Exactly, emotional damage can be significantly longer lasting and harmful than light physical discipline.