Sign in to follow this  
Scary Bear

Smacking Ban

6 minutes ago, hk blues said:

My old man did hit me but very, very rarely and I can recall only 3  - I did deserve it each time.  My son is only 5 and he hasn't managed to push me to that stage yet, time will tell how I react when he does. 

I can't think of a time that I didn't deserve it when I got a skelp. The last time my dad hit me I was about 13 or 14 and was taking the piss out of him, in hindsight I admire his restraint. My mum broke a wooden spoon hitting me when I was about 10.  I had loving parents who did a good job of raising me and my brother, I can't fault them and I've no lasting issues.

On a slightly separate issue, the belt was banned at the school after 4th year for me and I would prefer to get the belt than lines or write an essay, different punishments for different kids.

2 hours ago, throbber said:

A slipper across the arse of a naughty child and physical abuse/assault of a child are two very different things which some people refuse to understand on this issue. 

Exactly. I can only assume the people who can't make this distinction don't have children.

8 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

A kid goes to touch a hot iron. You slap his/her hand to stop them doing it and shock them into realising it's dangerous. You're happy for the parent to reason with said child with the almost inevitable serious burn?

Well, the answer to that is a responsible parent wouldn't have a hot iron and a child in the same house at the same time...

10 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

A kid goes to touch a hot iron. You slap his/her hand to stop them doing it and shock them into realising it's dangerous. You're happy for the parent to reason with said child with the almost inevitable serious burn?

I'd make them do their own ironing.

You genuinely have to wonder what kind of sick thrill grown adults get out of physically assaulting a defenceless child. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy85 said:

You genuinely have to wonder what kind of sick thrill grown adults get out of physically assaulting a defenceless child. 

Go on, give it a go, its quite refreshing.

6 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Well, the answer to that is a responsible parent wouldn't have a hot iron and a child in the same house at the same time...

Aye I always make sure to put my wee girl in the shed when I'm doing the ironing. 

1 minute ago, EH75 said:

Aye I always make sure to put my wee girl in the shed when I'm doing the ironing. 

I hope you lock it - better safe than sorry.

I've got kids of 14 and 11. Not once have they been smacked/skelped/slapped, call it what you will. It's never even crossed my mind to use physical punishment as a deterrent and I'm struggling to think of a situation where it would.

Ffs I don't even smack the dog let alone my own kids!

Just now, MuckleMoo said:

I've got kids of 14 and 11. Not once have they been smacked/skelped/slapped, call it what you will. It's never even crossed my mind to use physical punishment as a deterrent and I'm struggling to think of a situation where it would.

Ffs I don't even smack the dog let alone my own kids!

Would you want to stop others dealing with their kids differently though ? We're not talking about beating children here, there are already rules that prohibit that.

12 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

Its not for a thrill nor is it assault.

Do you have kids?

1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

Do you have kids?

He's trolling.

Smacking isn't something sensible parents do for fun. It's the absolute last resort for when a child won't listen to anything else and can't be allowed to continue their current line of behaviour. Some kids never get to that stage. Some parents resort to it far too quickly or far too often.

18 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

She's gonna hate January when the fire is on all day.

Good for the economy. Places like Millport will see the return of the traditional family holiday as kids are terrified of going to DisneyWorld after building up a pile of smack tokens throughout the year.

Would you want to stop others dealing with their kids differently though ? We're not talking about beating children here, there are already rules that prohibit that.

Yes I would. It's inflicting pain on a child in order to deter or punish it. That, to me, is not only wrong but also completely unnecessary

11 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Do you have kids?

Yes.

8 minutes ago, nsr said:

He's trolling.

It’s trolling to suggest grown adults hitting children is quite rightly becoming a crime? Are all the governments across the planet who have introduced this law also trolling?

I'm not into smacking kids but putting them on the naughty step is just fantasyland stuff for some kids.

This thread reminds me of the Question Time episode where a load of old angry white men shouted at Jeremy Corbyn for not being wanting to kill millions in a nuclear explosion.

Imagine getting a hard-on for hitting kids an order of magnitude smaller and weaker than you. f**k's sake.