Smacking Ban

20 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

As long as she lives in a nice neighbourhood and  has a job working with kids..........

Imagine if she came from a rough neighbourhood and didn't work with kids. Almost certainly guilty

Unless the parents are both doctors. Neglecting your kids is fine then. Apparently.

21 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I can't be bothered starting another thread so I'll put this in here-

A son of a friend from Glasgow fell and cut his knee last month when he was playing football. It was a fairly deep cut so his mum took the boy to A&E. The doctor that treated the boy called Social Work on her.
She lives in a nice neighbourhood and is a Primary School teacher.
A few fat social worker goons along with the police duly turned up to do an assessment on them.

This caused the family a lot of embarrassment and stress. It is a despicable way to treat people. Unbelievably heavy handed and pretty scary that on the word of some minimum wage slabber with questionably mental capacity the Social Work department will label you a beast and snatch away your kids.

Social Services are a joke. If you work in Social Services then contemplate where you work.

Kate-and-Gerry-McCann-were-innocent thread for this sort of pish...

23 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I can't be bothered starting another thread so I'll put this in here-

A son of a friend from Glasgow fell and cut his knee last month when he was playing football. It was a fairly deep cut so his mum took the boy to A&E. The doctor that treated the boy called Social Work on her.
She lives in a nice neighbourhood and is a Primary School teacher.
A few fat social worker goons along with the police duly turned up to do an assessment on them.

This caused the family a lot of embarrassment and stress. It is a despicable way to treat people. Unbelievably heavy handed and pretty scary that on the word of some minimum wage slabber with questionably mental capacity the Social Work department will label you a beast and snatch away your kids.

Social Services are a joke. If you work in Social Services then contemplate where you work.

What a mess you are here.

Firstly, a deep cut on a knee is not a normal indicator for physical abuse.  There will have been something else going on here which would have raised suspicions.  I'd imagine there's a teeny, weeny chance that your pal's son (nice close connection by the way) neglected to share the full story with you.  There may have been issues of neglect concerns i.e. that the child was of an age whereby he should have been supervised more appropriately, but, again, it would be highly unlikely that social work (note the correct term) would have responded as quickly, as it would be unlikely that the child was at risk of significant, imminent harm if he was to return home with mum from the hospital.  So (with my many years of professional expertise in this area) I'm calling FUCKINBULLSHIT here.  

Secondly, the fact that you think that one's profession and social class should prevent them from being subject to a child protection investigation says more about your closed mindedness, and lack of understanding of such a complex issue, than the actions of the A&E doctor, who has a duty to report concerns.

Next, two social workers and a police officer turned up, right?  The purpose of this was to 'do an assessment on them'?  Family's aren't fucking cars mate- you can't just look them up and down, kick them, suck air in through your teeth and diagnose faults.  Assessments are an iterative process, which take a long time.  Rather, the police and social work would only turn up together with the purpose of conducting a Joint Investigative Interview.  It does not appear that this happened, although you fail to mention this.  Either way, a JII would only take place if there was a strong likelihood that a) a crime has taken place and b) the child would not be adversely affected by taking part.  So many sketchy details here, but I guess it's easy to blame irrational paediatric doctors and social workers, with their wee honours degrees and doctorates behind them.  

Child protection investigations are a stressful process.  It is not designed to be that way, but sometimes difficult questions have to be asked.  Perhaps melodramatic here, but I imagine that given the chance, Victoria Climbie and other victims of preventable child deaths would have wanted social workers to ask similarly challenging questions.  

The minimum wage and mental capacity comment is just bizarre.  I'm actually starting to wonder if this isn't your kid we're talking about, or someone more close to you.  

Have to laugh at the 'snatch' comment.  Yes, that's what social workers who go to university for four years and put up with all kinds of shit day in and day out are primarily motivated to do- snatch kids away.  Beyond this ludicrous statement, here's a fun fact: social workers have NO power to remove children.  Only sheriffs and Children's Hearings can grant such an order.  The only institution that can do so are the police.

To finish- if you work in Social Services (sic)- I commend you.  

Back in your box wee sacks. 

Edited by Nutz_the_Squirrel

• 1 year later...

Smacking has now been banned in Scotland.

Some of the comments on social media though...

This has been brought out of proportion i never mentioned violence which i condone but have had a clip round the ear and thr belt at school now teachers are powerless to control.

I cant remember voting for this law. I don't agree with abuse but abuse can come from a child to an adult. What protection does the adult have absolutely none.i feel for all the parents, teachers and carers 😡😡

1 minute ago, Empty It said:
41 minutes ago, pozbaird said:
I don’t think it’s right to hit anyone. Except Scottish referees.

Closet ***?

Yeah, they should be hit too. Scottish referees and closet ***s. Anyone else deserving of a smack?

Are the Tories going to rebrand as the "slap your kids about party" 

Disgraceful behaviour today saying it may criminalise good parents, in fact we should abolish assault in case we criminalise good fighters.

4 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

Seeing bizarre comments saying this law will encourage children to hit other children at nurseries

You would be surprised at the amount of toddlers fully up to speed with Scottish Law.