Smacking Ban

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

And it's never even been discussed between you and your mates when you were younger? Fair enough.

And for disciplinary reasons obviously, not for enjoyment. I don't see how you can be so naive to it all.

First link I opened up showed that 80 percent of children around the world have been smacked, according to UNICEF. 60 percent of people in the U.K felt that it should not be banned and in America 76 percent of males and 65 percent of females said that sometimes children 'need a good hard spanking'.

I'm not for it, I don't agree with it I think there are better methods, however I don't have kids.

I'm just very surprised that on here so many claim that it's never happened to them or they've never done it.

Also surprised at what some people seem to think it involves, parents who have said they've done it on here have been treated like they've beaten up their kids. Not understanding that at all. I would never have any hard feelings towards my parents for giving me a smack on the arse for when I was misbehaving.

Yeah, I'm cynical about a lot of the outrage on here and not just on this thread. 

As a card carrying kid beater (the very odd slapped arse/back of legs but lets not get bogged down with the minutia) and being a kid that was beat to a pulp (hardly :lol:) its hardly the worst thing that happens. I was more outraged about not being allowed to go to a concert when I was 15 than I was for any physical chastisement.  I bore that grudge a lot longer than was healthy and with hindsight, I get why I wasn't allowed to go. I was also severely hacked off that my younger brother got to do stuff at a younger age than I did, I was the guinea pig as the older kid. Good parents don't punish their kids for shits and giggles and don't always get it right, there are plenty who bribe their kids with sweets and crisps, that's probably not good parenting, and arguably has a longer lasting effect than a measured physical chastisement. But that's all irrelevant, its all about the moral high ground and pontificating., and giving people shit of course. :angel

I'm naive because people have the need to hit there children for discipline reasons?
Why don't they hit there children in public when there kid needs disciplined?
Because they know it's wrong. There is no reason as an adult to hit yer own child.

f**k me! It's 'their'.

3 hours ago, whiskychimp said:

I live in London. African parentage is pretty strong on the beating. I see it fairly often and it's more forceful than I feel comfortable with

I live in London. I've never seen it once.

1 hour ago, whiskychimp said:

You should get out more. Shepherds Bush market would be the first stop on my  watch kids getting beaten tour bus.

So you're saying I would see children being hit "fairly often" round there?

3 minutes ago, JMDP said:

So you're saying I would see children being hit "fairly often" round there?

Id say its a "regular occurence" if you're looking for an exact phraseology. I've seen a few kids beaten by their parents (assumption) on Upton Park High Road too (and Im not in Upton Park very often)

Edited by whiskychimp

Naughty step haha

Out of interest if the naughty step is out and you're obviously dead against smacking, what methods do you use to discipline your children?

Do you just let them run wild?

Do they never misbehave in any manner?

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Out of interest if the naughty step is out and you're obviously dead against smacking, what methods do you use to discipline your children?

Do you just let them run wild?

This seems to be the norm now...its apparently called 'letting children be children' and 'expressing themselves'.......what that really means is letting them away with murder, because you have tried to reason with them and guess what its not worked, most of them need a bloody good skelp to be honest.

That's it. My child who has autism who is just expressing himself just needs a good skelp. That will work.

No one has said that, the poster quoted what he was answering to.

I think smacking has a time and place. Obviously smacking a kid with autism is wrong and you can add to that numerous other situations. No one has said, kid does something bad = A good scud.

To answer your previous question about smacking outside, maybe perhaps, some parents don't want to cause embarrassment to the child and themselves. I've never raised my voice at my son in a busy supermarket for example for that reason. I have taken him to a quiet bit or outside but never in a busy place.

Back in the house - Totally different, you don't have to.

If folk want to shout at their kids, while others look on, fine it's their choice. It's not mine.

I remember when I was younger (I'm 30) schemie parents dragging their child by the hand and shouting that they were going to give them a skelp was a lot more common. I was going to say 'normal' instead of 'common' at first but it never struck me as normal behaviour. 

Oldest child has autism so that can be quite challenging. For him getting in trouble it's usually me taking him from whatever area I'm at to calm him down, a distraction usually works. Certain toys he has he likes, they sometimes get taken away if need be.
A raise of the voice to youngest works with him, as well as toys been taken away.
I'm quite a calm person and dealing with my oldest can be challenging but many a scenario he dosnt know what he has done /doing is wrong or is bad so each scenario can take a while for him to understand it's wrong.

I imagine the autism thing can be challenging. My wee brother's oldest kid has Aspergers Syndrome. Luckily my wee brother is also quite a calm person.

Personally, I can be calm and reasoned up to a point with my kids. However, I have very little patience, which is something that I needed to work on. My kids have iPAD minis but they get these for being good rather than all the time. I haven't really tried taking toys away as they have plenty and would just play with some other ones.

On 10/20/2017 at 19:34, Bairnardo said:

Why would you hit your grandparents? Why are people throwing these bizarre examples in? Hitting children is not some new fad that has reared up and then been deemed unacceptable and made illegal. I imagine everyone posting on here was struck in some way by their parents. It's been going on since time began as a means of teaching discipline. Either FAR less people were struck by their parents when they were young than I imagine, or, I am surrounded by abuse victims everywhere I look. 

My parents struck me VERY occasionally. Never hard, never excessive and never with anything other than an open hand. I have no objection to studies being done etc to show whether it is or isn't of value, and no objection to laws changing on that basis, but anyone claiming that this practice makes my parents bad can f**k right off with this bullshit revisionism.

I find myself in much the same position as yourself, however what I would say is that, rather than being annoyed about this "revisionism",  just accept that (as with much in society), our parent simply didn't have the information available to them to make the wiser choices that we can now make.

They weren't necessarily worse drivers for not wearing seatbelts or motorcycle helmets either, but laws change and in this case change for the better.

Without wanting to make generalisations (he says before making one), the parents that I see smacking their children nowadays do generally, and sadly, often fall into the scumbag category.

2 minutes ago, glassnahalf said:

I abhor a smacking ban. Criminalising parents protecting their children from danger is too off for me...

Word Salad.   

Time you were banned again, McSpreader.