Smacking Ban

28 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

A slight tap on the bottom though wouldn't be an issue in public since that's all it would be ? Or is it kept out of the public eye as it's wrong and it's more than just a tap?

I wasn't talking from personal experience of smacking. Just making an observation. 

If it helps, if I saw someone giving smacking a child in a supermarket I wouldn't give a f**k.

Edit to add. I did work out  last night that I hit her much much harder when we're playing and having fun than when she's in trouble.

Edited by whiskychimp

Still a considerable majority, IIRC from surveys.

100 percent it's a big majority of people. I would say that nearly all my mates got a smack on the arse for acting like wee shites too. Seen it happen to a load of them when I was younger.

On here though, it seems like nobody has had parents who have done it to them and people who have not done it to their own children. Which I find a bit strange.

I could understand people that are maybe younger than me having that point of view but I'm surprised to see so many people that are older saying they've never been smacked or smacked their own children themselves.

A slight tap on the bottom though wouldn't be an issue in public since that's all it would be ? Or is it kept out of the public eye as it's wrong and it's more than just a tap?

Of course it's more than a tap, I think parents that are saying that's all it is are purely trying to justify it as only that but a smacks a smack.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

100 percent it's a big majority of people. I would say that nearly all my mates got a smack on the arse for acting like wee shites too. Seen it happen to a load of them when I was younger.

On here though, it seems like nobody has had parents who have done it to them and people who have not done it to their own children. Which I find a bit strange.

I could understand people that are maybe younger than me having that point of view but I'm surprised to see so many people that are older saying they've never been smacked or smacked their own children themselves.

Its almost like some are rewriting history to score cheap points on a forum, surely not......

My parents didn't smack me.
I won't be smacking my children. I don't know any of my mates when growing up who got smacked. Maybe they did but certainly not in public.
Why don't they in public? Because it's wrong :-).

You don't have any mates who were smacked as children? Struggling to believe that tbh.

I don't have any figures, maybe banana does, but I would certainly agree with him that a considerable majority of parents do/did used (maybe not now) to smack their kids.

Like I've said I wouldn't personally go down that route if I was to ever have kids, I don't agree with it but do I see it as big a deal as some people seem to on here? Nope. Standard part of growing up for me and a very common thing.

18 hours ago, banana said:

These are all weasely rewordings and sneaky attempted re-contextualising - the state has in position legal ramifications for parents taking full guardianship for a child when the parents decide its necessary. If there's no penalty (there is), none of this should be in place in the first place. If I decide I want to take my kids out for the afternoon, or campervanning around Europe for 6 months, this should have f**k all to do with the state or or whatever relevant governing bodies. No prior notice necessary, no headmaster permission necessary, no questions asked.

I do realise that having grown up in a situation where the state gets (is expected to get) it's paws into almost everything, it's a big shift in mindset to realise that this is not the only way and is actually pretty creepily fucked up.

Parents have a legal obligation to ensure children are educated.

The state have a role in ensuring that education meets certain standards.

If that's a bit Big Government for you then fine but I would suggest it's a minority position.

I've never seen my mates smacked by there parents. Not sure how that is hard to believe.
I don't see why any adult would hit their own child.

And it's never even been discussed between you and your mates when you were younger? Fair enough.

And for disciplinary reasons obviously, not for enjoyment. I don't see how you can be so naive to it all.

First link I opened up showed that 80 percent of children around the world have been smacked, according to UNICEF. 60 percent of people in the U.K felt that it should not be banned and in America 76 percent of males and 65 percent of females said that sometimes children 'need a good hard spanking'.

I'm not for it, I don't agree with it I think there are better methods, however I don't have kids.

I'm just very surprised that on here so many claim that it's never happened to them or they've never done it.

Also surprised at what some people seem to think it involves, parents who have said they've done it on here have been treated like they've beaten up their kids. Not understanding that at all. I would never have any hard feelings towards my parents for giving me a smack on the arse for when I was misbehaving.

1 hour ago, G_Man1985 said:

When was last time you seen a child get smacked in public? I live in quite a big city and I couldn't possibly say when the last time I seen this happen

I live in London. African parentage is pretty strong on the beating. I see it fairly often and it's more forceful than I feel comfortable with

I'm naive because people have the need to hit there children for discipline reasons?
Why don't they hit there children in public when there kid needs disciplined?
Because they know it's wrong. There is no reason as an adult to hit yer own child.

No your naive because you don't seem to know it's a common thing.

And of course kids get smacked in public.

Last sentence I would agree. I don't think it's the right way to discipline a child.

Parents have a legal obligation to ensure children are educated.
The state have a role in ensuring that education meets certain standards.
If that's a bit Big Government for you then fine but I would suggest it's a minority position.

How else is he gonnae stop the progressive agenda indoctrinating his kids?

It's not common at all. I've seen it a couple of times I reckon in my 31 years. Clearly it's common behind closed doors. When was last time you seen a child smacked in public ?

Did I feel uncomfortable seeing an adult hit there child? Absolutely.

It is common, Google it. Banana will have more accurate figures than the ones I've just provided going by what he's said but parents smacking their kids when they misbehave is common.

And I don't know, I haven't really been taking note of it. Wouldn't make me feel uncomfortable either, because its happened to me, and I've seen it happen hundreds of times when I was younger.

You seem awful sheltered for a Kirkton lad... Anyway just going round in circles here. I'll leave it at that.

Sheltered because my mates parents or mine didn't hit them as a child?
By time I went to Kirkton high I was 13 ( think that's first year age).
Lived in Bridgefoot then Downfield.

Didn't see many parents at Kirkton. Many were single parent family's and if any abuse I witnessed it was verbal. The smacking /battering usually was fighting between the kids themselves.

Not to sure what you are getting at :-).
I don't need Google to tell me that hitting your own child is wrong.

Also many on here who have said they did get smacked did say it was a light tap. Then was a whole discussion about the difference between them both. However we as parents should not be hitting our children. It is wrong.

That will be the end of it.

People aren't 'battering' their kids.

And I never said hitting your child was the right thing to do.

3 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

How many adults have smacked their child? Seems to be quite a few on here.

I don't think too many have actually said they've smacked their kids.

54 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Sheltered because my mates parents or mine didn't hit them as a child?
By time I went to Kirkton high I was 13 ( think that's first year age).
Lived in Bridgefoot then Downfield.

Didn't see many parents at Kirkton. Many were single parent family's and if any abuse I witnessed it was verbal. The smacking /battering usually was fighting between the kids themselves.

Not to sure what you are getting at :-).
I don't need Google to tell me that hitting your own child is wrong.

Also many on here who have said they did get smacked did say it was a light tap. Then was a whole discussion about the difference between them both. However we as parents should not be hitting our children. It is wrong.

That will be the end of it.

Sending your kids to Kirton High is worse than smacking them TBH.

I have changed my mind on this I have been on the  receiving end and have dealt it out, although I did not use it much, I would rather talk things through. 

School was always a risky business, teachers who would belt 1st ask questions later.  Home was a different case, I lost my dad in May , he hit me. And at times hard. Certainly a lot more than a "light tap". It was the 60,s it was the norm, every boy on my street got walloped. I was more sparing I guess, I hate the idea of hurting a kid. Yes there are wee neds  etc, But are they there simply because we do not hit kids at school or home?  They  have always been there. Parenting or lack of it is more likely the blame. 

Kids are born innocent , they learn from us, the so called adults.