Smacking Ban

On 10/22/2017 at 12:58, invergowrie arab said:

The financial penalties and criminal charges you are talking about are penalties for non payment of fines issued by a legal authority, same as if you don't pay your parking ticket, fly tipping fine etc They are not specifically linked to the school absence issue.

When parents enrol a child in school (they don't have to) they are then legally responsible and obliged to ensure the child attends school. It's not a state imposition it's a contract.

The supreme court case ended up in the supreme court as the family took it there.

FWIW I think it's entirely sensible that local authorities have the the power to refer non payment of fines to a criminal court in general but, as is the case in Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland, don't think it is suitable in this circumstance.

If it helps you sleep better at night since June 2016 I have taken my niece out of school for trips away on three occasions for a cumulative total of 7 days and not a word has been said.

These are all weasely rewordings and sneaky attempted re-contextualising - the state has in position legal ramifications for parents taking full guardianship for a child when the parents decide its necessary. If there's no penalty (there is), none of this should be in place in the first place. If I decide I want to take my kids out for the afternoon, or campervanning around Europe for 6 months, this should have f**k all to do with the state or or whatever relevant governing bodies. No prior notice necessary, no headmaster permission necessary, no questions asked.

I do realise that having grown up in a situation where the state gets (is expected to get) it's paws into almost everything, it's a big shift in mindset to realise that this is not the only way and is actually pretty creepily fucked up.

Edited by banana

On 10/22/2017 at 14:01, The Chlamydia Kid said:

It also tells us absolute nothing about the impact of smacking on kids and I’ve not seen anyone present any specific examples of the detrimental impact thus far.

Read up on domestic violence (i.e. physical violence in the home) being generational. That is, hit kids tend to hit their kids/partners, who also tend to hit their kids/partners, and so on.

I realise violence is on a continuum  from light tapping of a kid's hand once in a blue moon to regular beatings.

16 minutes ago, banana said:

Read up on domestic violence (i.e. physical violence in the home) being generational. That is, hit kids tend to hit their kids/partners, who also tend to hit their kids/partners, and so on.

I realise violence is on a continuum  from light tapping of a kid's hand once in a blue moon to regular beatings.

Phew, my folks only hit me from time to time and not each other, I'd hate to wake up with a bread knife in my chest for giving the missus a 'love tap' after rolling in pished. :lol:

There's absolutely no way you could accurately measure that, as they'll only actually be looking at people who have committed a domestic violence crime.

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

There's absolutely no way you could accurately measure that, as they'll only actually be looking at people who have committed a domestic violence crime.

No measuring is perfect, but it's been studied plenty in various ways, and there are meta-studies on top. It's been 3 or 4 years since I read the papers, watched the presentations, so do your own digging -  generational violence.

1 hour ago, banana said:

Are we now talking about battering kids or are we still  discussing a wean getting a skelped arse?

Edited by ayrmad

4 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Are we now talking about battering kids or are we still  discussing a wean getting a skelped arse?

You know how this works, its all about the outrage, toss domestic violence in and we get 'house' (seems fair, others have called house).  Gotta love the angry rhetoric to reinvigorate the 'debate'......

Have to agree. Really struggling to understand what some people actually think smacking involves, it's hardly some traumatic scarring experience.

Reading what some people are saying about it is embarrassing. Like I have said I personally wouldn't choose to do it if I ever had kids, but I have absolutely no hard feelings towards my mum and dad for doing it to me. It's hardly a big deal. It's a wee smack on the bottom ffs. People aren't beating up their children.

24 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

I wonder how many of them would smack their child in public? Not many I'd take a guess at.

Just because somethings are kept private doesn't necessarily mean they are wrong. I prefer not to change a nappy in full view of the passing world.