Smacking Ban

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 17:17, banana said:

Read up on domestic violence (i.e. physical violence in the home) being generational. That is, hit kids tend to hit their kids/partners, who also tend to hit their kids/partners, and so on.

I realise violence is on a continuum  from light tapping of a kid's hand once in a blue moon to regular beatings.

Hitting a girl as a small child was a guaranteed spanking for me.

The problem here is that you are talking about how to deal with a symptom rather than dealing with the actual problem.
You need to be developing a relationship with your kids from as early as possible.
Half the trouble comes from inconsistent parenting. The kid gets to know that No sometimes means Yes if they push the right button.  Eventually the parent gives up for an easy life.
The other half of the problem is giving young kids everything they want until they get to their teenage years, start pushing the boundaries and then they hear a firm No for the first time. What SHOULD be happening is that the kids should see themselves given a looser rein as they get older. Too many parents tighten the reins as the kids get older. This what is meant by shit parenting and these lazy parents get the teenagers they deserve.
There is no such thing as "teenage tantrums". This is quite simply years of utterly shite parenting causing an overflow of frustration in people too young to know how to deal with their idiot parents.

I would have thought regular contact and conversations with your kids throughout their early years does develop relationships with them.

Younger kids don't like hearing No either. When they hear No this is only one of the instances where they sometimes become upset/annoyed. As a loving parent I want to say Yes more than No, for example 'Yes, we can go to the park'. If you mainly say No to your kids, it probably won't lead to a very healthy relationship with them. It's a balance, like most things in life.

The problem here is that you are talking about how to deal with a symptom rather than dealing with the actual problem.
You need to be developing a relationship with your kids from as early as possible.
Half the trouble comes from inconsistent parenting. The kid gets to know that No sometimes means Yes if they push the right button.  Eventually the parent gives up for an easy life.
The other half of the problem is giving young kids everything they want until they get to their teenage years, start pushing the boundaries and then they hear a firm No for the first time. What SHOULD be happening is that the kids should see themselves given a looser rein as they get older. Too many parents tighten the reins as the kids get older. This what is meant by shit parenting and these lazy parents get the teenagers they deserve.
There is no such thing as "teenage tantrums". This is quite simply years of utterly shite parenting causing an overflow of frustration in people too young to know how to deal with their idiot parents.

There is no such thing as 'teenage tantrums'? Everyone turns into a fucking weirdo at some point as a teenager, it's obviously a long time since you've been to high school.

What a lot of utter pish.

• 7 months later...

I can't be bothered starting another thread so I'll put this in here-

A son of a friend from Glasgow fell and cut his knee last month when he was playing football. It was a fairly deep cut so his mum took the boy to A&E. The doctor that treated the boy called Social Work on her.
She lives in a nice neighbourhood and is a Primary School teacher.
A few fat social worker goons along with the police duly turned up to do an assessment on them.

This caused the family a lot of embarrassment and stress. It is a despicable way to treat people. Unbelievably heavy handed and pretty scary that on the word of some minimum wage slabber with questionably mental capacity the Social Work department will label you a beast and snatch away your kids.

Social Services are a joke. If you work in Social Services then contemplate where you work.

1 minute ago, Cerberus said:

A son of a friend from Glasgow fell and cut his knee last month when he was playing football. It was a fairly deep cut so his mum took the boy to A&E. The doctor that treated the boy called Social Work on her.
A few fat social worker goons along with the police duly turned up to do an assessment on them.

This caused the family a lot of embarrassment and stress. It is a despicable way to treat people. Unbelievably heavy handed and pretty scary that on the word of some minimum wage slabber with questionably mental capacity the Social Work department will label you a beast and snatch away your kids.

Social Services are a joke. If you work in Social Services then contemplate where you work.

So they took the kid off his parents?

30 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Bear in mind if the mother had turned out to have slashed her son's knee with a stanley knife and the social workers had ignored it, you'd be saying exactly the same.

Edited by welshbairn

Also a bit of a stretch calling an A&E doctor a "minimum wage slabber with questionably mental capacity".

We had some social services involvement a few years back because a frenemy of the wife called them and made some claims, the nature of which we were never told. They spoke to the wean at school and visited us once at the house. Seemed like nice enough folk. I was just happy knowing there's somebody keeping an eye out for potential problems kids might be having at home.

I can see how this might get flagged: unusual injury, allegedly unwitnessed by parent, perhaps not brought into hospital immediately and perhaps not by a parent. These might cause a healthcare professional some concern and it would be their duty to flag this up.

If you want to identify the highest possible number of abuse cases, you have to accept that there will be false positives. Yes, a social work visit might be embarrassing, but they'll see it was an unfounded concern. But they are obliged to follow up any concerns.

2 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Things that never happened thread for this pish

11 hours ago, Cerberus said:

It's better to get a few referrals wrong than to miss a genuine one.

(Un)fortunately your job and housing arrangements don't mean you won't be questioned about potential problens.

19 hours ago, Cerberus said:

As long as she lives in a nice neighbourhood and  has a job working with kids..........

Imagine if she came from a rough neighbourhood and didn't work with kids. Almost certainly guilty