Smacking Ban

6 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Well, the answer to that is a responsible parent wouldn't have a hot iron and a child in the same house at the same time...

Aye I always make sure to put my wee girl in the shed when I'm doing the ironing. 

I've got kids of 14 and 11. Not once have they been smacked/skelped/slapped, call it what you will. It's never even crossed my mind to use physical punishment as a deterrent and I'm struggling to think of a situation where it would.

Ffs I don't even smack the dog let alone my own kids!

Just now, MuckleMoo said:

I've got kids of 14 and 11. Not once have they been smacked/skelped/slapped, call it what you will. It's never even crossed my mind to use physical punishment as a deterrent and I'm struggling to think of a situation where it would.

Ffs I don't even smack the dog let alone my own kids!

Would you want to stop others dealing with their kids differently though ? We're not talking about beating children here, there are already rules that prohibit that.

1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

Its not for a thrill nor is it assault.

Do you have kids?

He's trolling.

Smacking isn't something sensible parents do for fun. It's the absolute last resort for when a child won't listen to anything else and can't be allowed to continue their current line of behaviour. Some kids never get to that stage. Some parents resort to it far too quickly or far too often.

Good for the economy. Places like Millport will see the return of the traditional family holiday as kids are terrified of going to DisneyWorld after building up a pile of smack tokens throughout the year.

Would you want to stop others dealing with their kids differently though ? We're not talking about beating children here, there are already rules that prohibit that.

Yes I would. It's inflicting pain on a child in order to deter or punish it. That, to me, is not only wrong but also completely unnecessary

11 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Its not for a thrill nor is it assault.

Do you have kids?

Yes.

8 minutes ago, nsr said:

He's trolling.

It’s trolling to suggest grown adults hitting children is quite rightly becoming a crime? Are all the governments across the planet who have introduced this law also trolling?

This thread reminds me of the Question Time episode where a load of old angry white men shouted at Jeremy Corbyn for not being wanting to kill millions in a nuclear explosion.

Imagine getting a hard-on for hitting kids an order of magnitude smaller and weaker than you. f**k's sake.

Just now, MuckleMoo said:

Yes I would. It's inflicting pain on a child in order to deter or punish it. That, to me, is not only wrong but also completely unnecessary

Seems a bit drastic to me, a lot of the time its not even painful, especially with the younger ones, its more the process of being smacked. I don't think you'll get anyone supporting seriously hurting a child.  Its not like those that do think smacking is acceptable are trying to force people to smack their kids, its a parenting choice, kids cry when they get sent to the naughty step, I don't see what the difference is.

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

This thread reminds me of the Question Time episode where a load of old angry white men shouted at Jeremy Corbyn for not being wanting to kill millions in a nuclear explosion.

Imagine getting a hard-on for hitting kids an order of magnitude smaller and weaker than you. f**k's sake.

That's a whole different set of circumstances, beast thread for this pish.

3 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Why do you need to hit your child as a last resort? What would it take to become this last resort ?

Just what I said: when a child won't listen to anything else (when polite asking, reasoning, shouting, naughty step etc are all ignored) and can't be allowed to continue their current line of behaviour (e.g. because it's going to cause serious harm to themselves or someone else).

Thinking it's okay to smack a child. Fucking hell. 

An old boot at my physio class had a go at me for not smacking my 16 month old. I had told her my daughter was trying to open the kitchen cupboards so we had put locks on them. She said I was enabling her bad behaviour and should smack her. A 16 month old defenceless child. I was seething. 

Disgusting anyone thinks it's an acceptable form of punishment.