Smacking Ban

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

Maybe read the rest of his post and Rowans post in the previous page, its not as simple as you are trying to make it out. 

It’s pretty simple. If you hit a child you deserve to be charged with a criminal offence. I’m genuinely staggered anyone would suggest otherwise. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

It’s pretty simple. If you hit a child you deserve to be charged with a criminal offence. I’m genuinely staggered anyone would suggest otherwise. 

As has been said there are larger problems of child abuse where parents and carers are systematically abusing children. This extra law won't stop that and will only stretch limited resources further. Nobody is encouraging assaulting children here. 

12 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

I don't know if you have kids or not.

However they are all different personalities and some need disciplined in a different way to others, your kid (if you have one) may just need a stern talking to, just like my older one, however the younger one has needed a smack or he keeps repeating the same mistake. Its not that Im out of control, its the exact opposite, I know what works with my own.

Edited by johnnydun

"What if it was only a light physical assault"? 

Removing the ability for teachers to physically harm children  was a good thing.  Removing the ability for anyone - parent or otherwise - to physically strike a child is entirely sensible.  

Baffling to read some of the dinosaurs who feel this is still acceptable conduct

3 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

The trick is to install an element of fear with your children, if they are already petrified of you then there’s no need to smack them as they’ll always fall in line. 

Do you use the basement dungeon that you have built as a deterrent? 

Just now, Bobby Skidmarks said:

I commend your parents for only using a slipper on you.

A slipper and a complete lack of any real affection certainly put me in my place. 

You don't even need to apply the slipper to the child, the sound of it hitting against a wall was always enough to put me in place. 

Got smacked from time to time and smacked my own kid from time to time. We were talking about it a few years back and she can't actually remember it, off the top of my head it was only for repeatedly not looking when crossing the road. A mixture of exasperation on my part and trying to teach her a lesson that might save her life. There are far worse ways to punish a kid than that short term skelp, as already said, there's a big difference between a skelped arse and a punch in the pus. Its not like its compulsory to skelp your kids, if you feel you don't want to then fine but to get so worked up by a very minor form of punishment is a bit of an overreaction and not going to stop kids taking a hiding.

59 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

A kid goes to touch a hot iron. You slap his/her hand to stop them doing it and shock them into realising it's dangerous. You're happy for the parent to reason with said child with the almost inevitable serious burn?

6 minutes ago, hk blues said:

My old man did hit me but very, very rarely and I can recall only 3  - I did deserve it each time.  My son is only 5 and he hasn't managed to push me to that stage yet, time will tell how I react when he does. 

I can't think of a time that I didn't deserve it when I got a skelp. The last time my dad hit me I was about 13 or 14 and was taking the piss out of him, in hindsight I admire his restraint. My mum broke a wooden spoon hitting me when I was about 10.  I had loving parents who did a good job of raising me and my brother, I can't fault them and I've no lasting issues.

On a slightly separate issue, the belt was banned at the school after 4th year for me and I would prefer to get the belt than lines or write an essay, different punishments for different kids.

2 hours ago, throbber said:

A slipper across the arse of a naughty child and physical abuse/assault of a child are two very different things which some people refuse to understand on this issue. 

Exactly. I can only assume the people who can't make this distinction don't have children.

8 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

A kid goes to touch a hot iron. You slap his/her hand to stop them doing it and shock them into realising it's dangerous. You're happy for the parent to reason with said child with the almost inevitable serious burn?

Well, the answer to that is a responsible parent wouldn't have a hot iron and a child in the same house at the same time...

10 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

I'd make them do their own ironing.