Smacking Ban

Lets keep things local.   What countries in Europe allow and ban it.   I appreciate your lust to cherry pick, but we're not allowing it.   

Italy, Switzerland, rUK and a couple of other insignificant ones, still allow it.

Just now, Scary Bear said:

Italy, Switzerland, rUK and a couple of other insignificant ones, still allow it.

So basically all of Europe, and the vast majority of the world.   It's a Green party policy supported by SNP and Labour.   We've been behind the curve, but in UK terms the SNP is the best offering by a long long way. 

So basically all of Europe, and the vast majority of the world.   It's a Green party policy supported by SNP and Labour.   We've been behind the curve, but in UK terms the SNP is the best offering by a long long way. 

How many countries are in the world? More than 52 I reckon.

Naughty step haha

Not sure where your coming from. Even back in the '70s, when I was young, I was made to stand in the corner of my parents room, facing the wall, of a Saturday morning when I was being a wee shit. The modern equivalent is the naughty step. It seems to work well. I just ask my kids 'do you want to sit on the step?' when they are being bad and they know what it means now and don't want to.

Won't be long before we're down to Eurasia. Oceania, and Eastasia...

It does seem to be the way it's going. I'm assuming it will help with prosecuting the people who are beating their kids, once those people are discovered.

This is going to make little difference. The kids who are routinely beaten will still get beaten. 

Social work are stretched as it is, they have neither the time nor resources to investigate a one off smack on bum carried out by a stressed out parent as a last resort. Or the gobby 10 yr old who decides claim dad smacked him to a teacher who then has to emboldened child protection procedures. Or while investigating this s child in real need isn’t getting the help they need.

Guest Moomintroll
2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

See this as a bit pointless in all honesty. The people who are likely to take note of this are the parents who give their bairn a wee smack across the arse from time to time, and the chances are they will no longer do so. You can high horse it all you want but a number of those sort of parents (IMO the vast majority) are likely to be perfectly good parents who will simply move to other means of disciplining. 

The folk who actually inflict physical and mental harm upon their bairns are not good parents, cannot be considered to be "smacking" but instead, they are actually beating them ,and those people will pay no heed to this, since they are already doing something that is clearly against the law. 

It's a bit of a law of morality rather than any sort of a difference maker IMO.

Exactly this, there will undoubtedly be a few show trials with good parents being trashed due to a light admonishment at a time of high stress. Meanwhile the subhuman scum who physically harm their kids routinely will carry on doing so under the radar because, as Rowan has pointed out, the Social services are stretched to breaking point and the type of virtue signaller who will jump on the first instance will be surprisingly absent when it really matters.

Exactly this, there will undoubtedly be a few show trials with good parents being trashed due to a light admonishment at a time of high stress. Meanwhile the subhuman scum who physically harm their kids routinely will carry on doing so under the radar because, as Rowan has pointed out, the Social services are stretched to breaking point and the type of virtue signaller who will jump on the first instance will be surprisingly absent when it really matters.

That'll be the way of it. The sentiment is right in that you shouldn't hit your kids, but it's another 'look we're doing something' policy. The depressing cases will still happen. To be honest a lot of these type of policies will fly under the radar of the general public. I only happened to catch the late night news or I wouldn't realise there was a smacking ban.

9 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Hitting children = bad

People who hit children under guise of administering discipline in order to compensate for their failure as a parent = bad

Not sure where the moral quandary lies tbqh.

Yes..It really is that simple.  If only...

I have given my kids a smack on the arse or the palm of the hand a few times and it does stop them doing, at times, risky actions that could on another day have had a more disastrous outcome.

I have also seen kids out and about, thats behaviour is so out of control, I have thought that they could do with a hot arse.

The authorities cant police the proper child abuse that is already going on so f**k knows what resources they have to throw at this.

It is a ridiculous thing to introduce, just to keep the Greens on side. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

How on earth is making it illegal to assault your children a ridiculous thing to introduce? :lol:

Maybe read the rest of his post and Rowans post in the previous page, its not as simple as you are trying to make it out. 

9 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

The other interesting thing will be how they enforce the ban. I rarely see any child smacked in public.

The child will report it to their school teacher, and 10 minutes later Social Workers will be at the door to take him into care.