World Cup 2019 Qualifiers

Lurkst

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Currently watching the USA do terrible things to Jamaica on https://www.concacafgo.com/cwc/.

5-0 after 33 minutes :shutup

Yah, on the women's side CONCACAF is still very much a two horse race.  The Americans and us are so far ahead of the rest of the confederation it's a bit sad.  Only surprise is that Mexico weren't as strong as they have been in the past.  

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 13:57, GordonS said:
On ‎06‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 00:51, Eednud said:
As Australia also qualified I'll have the Matildas and Scotland to follow. Hope they don't end up in the same group.

Too right, Australia are on the rise and could be the best of the second seeds.

I think we would ideally want to avoid Australia. I agree they will be the best of the second seeds. 

7 hours ago, RWcoach said:

I think we would ideally want to avoid Australia. I agree they will be the best of the second seeds. 

Just checked and Australia jumped two places in the most recent rankings, they're currently ranked 6th, so they might well be a first seed. Based on the current rankings the pots would be:

Pot 1 - USA, Germany, England, France, Canada, Australia

Pot 2 - Japan, Brazil, Sweden, Spain, Norway, Netherlands/South Korea

Pot 3 - South Korea/Switzerland, China, Italy, Scotland, Thailand

New Zealand are very likely to be the final team in Pot 3.

Pot 4 - Jamaica, Chile, Argentina/Panama, 3 x African teams.

We can only get a maximum of one European team. Nobody in Pot 2 is a nightmare though they'd all be clear favourites against us. I'd like to avoid USA, Germany, England and France but other than that, let's see what comes. And it would be good to get as weak a team as possible from Pot 4, that might be enough to get us through as one of the best third-placed teams.

• 3 weeks later...

The Netherlands have become the final European team to qualify for the World Cup, after convincingly beating Switzerland 4-1 over 2 legs. The first leg in Utrecht was in front of a 24k crowd (sold out only 24 minutes after tickets went on sale!) and finished 3-0. The second leg tonight the Dutch got a player sent off after 10 minutes, yet they still were the better team. It finished 1-1 and they qualified as a result.

On 24/10/2018 at 11:34, GordonS said:

Just checked and Australia jumped two places in the most recent rankings, they're currently ranked 6th, so they might well be a first seed. Based on the current rankings the pots would be:

Pot 1 - USA, Germany, England, France, Canada, Australia

Pot 2 - Japan, Brazil, Sweden, Spain, Norway, Netherlands/South Korea

Pot 3 - South Korea/Switzerland, China, Italy, Scotland, Thailand

New Zealand are very likely to be the final team in Pot 3.

Pot 4 - Jamaica, Chile, Argentina/Panama, 3 x African teams.

We can only get a maximum of one European team. Nobody in Pot 2 is a nightmare though they'd all be clear favourites against us. I'd like to avoid USA, Germany, England and France but other than that, let's see what comes. And it would be good to get as weak a team as possible from Pot 4, that might be enough to get us through as one of the best third-placed teams.

Australia surprisingly lost 3-2 to Chile in Sydney on Saturday but beat them 5-0 in Newcastle last night so not sure if that will affect the rankings.

The Netherlands have become the final European team to qualify for the World Cup, after convincingly beating Switzerland 4-1 over 2 legs. The first leg in Utrecht was in front of a 24k crowd (sold out only 24 minutes after tickets went on sale!) and finished 3-0. The second leg tonight the Dutch got a player sent off after 10 minutes, yet they still were the better team. It finished 1-1 and they qualified as a result.
I'm remembering the Switzerland players celebrating their narrow defeat in Paisley with a smile. Hope they enjoy watching us on the telly.

8 hours ago, GordonS said:
12 hours ago, Marten said:

I'm remembering the Switzerland players celebrating their narrow defeat in Paisley with a smile. Hope they enjoy watching us on the telly.

I thought they were very poor in both games against the Dutch. Choking at the most important moments (just like against Poland in the groups)?

Remarkable statistic: the Dutch play-off game against Switzerland yesterday is the most watched football game in The Netherlands of the whole year, ahead of any men's international, domestic club or EL/CL game.

5 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Only a friendly, but a one-nil defeat against the Americans is no disgrace. They would have scored six or seven a few years ago. 

Completely right, we'd have been rag-dolled. I was expecting five or six nil. And it wasn't some desperate backs-to-the-wall performance, Scotland had a lot of possession and won a lot of ball high up the pitch. USA could've scored more, but Scotland could've had a few too. I'm genuinely amazed we were able to compete with them.

That said, the US manager has been getting criticism from home for a while now, so I'm not sure they're the happiest camp.

1 hour ago, Marten said:

Remarkable statistic: the Dutch play-off game against Switzerland yesterday is the most watched football game in The Netherlands of the whole year, ahead of any men's international, domestic club or EL/CL game.

That's properly incredible. Even if it was on coonsil TV and the other matches are on cable, it's still a million miles away from what we have in Scotland or England. Do you have a source for that?

2 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Was it maybe on their version of terrestrial whereas, say, Ajax v Feyenoord/Netherlands v Germany were on their cable/Sky equivalent? 

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

That's properly incredible. Even if it was on coonsil TV and the other matches are on cable, it's still a million miles away from what we have in Scotland or England. Do you have a source for that?

Domestic games are generally on pay TV, but internationals and some CL/EL games, including the finals of both, are on the main channels. So yes, that's incredible indeed. Although I just realised that this didn't include the World Cup this year as some games there attracted more viewers. But then they've still done better than any Dutch men's international and even the CL final.

2 hours ago, Marten said:

Domestic games are generally on pay TV, but internationals and some CL/EL games, including the finals of both, are on the main channels. So yes, that's incredible indeed. Although I just realised that this didn't include the World Cup this year as some games there attracted more viewers. But then they've still done better than any Dutch men's international and even the CL final.

I'd love to quote that elsewhere, what's the source?

Archived