World Cup 2019 Qualifiers

Lurkst

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scotland's win over Albania was a very attractive game to watch. 2  speedie wingers taking people on and getting crosses in was back to the good old days. Why Anna signeul turned the euros into a retirement home for players past their sell by date is a mystery. If she had picked Claire emslie from Penicuik we would have beaten Portugal and made the knock out stages. We do need a goalkeeper who can reach the crossbar.

• 5 months later...

1-0 defeat to Switzerland yesterday was pretty underwhelming. Even with 5 minutes to go and needing a goal they were passing it about at the back like ICT under Yogi. 

Went last night with my football daft daughter. Enjoyed it and the child focussed fans zone before the game.

Poland were very direct and had the better chances right up to the penalty miss. Thought Little had an excellent game with her colleague in cm.

Assuming the daughter wants to, we'll be back.

22 hours ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Enjoyable game last night, sizeable Polish support gave it a really good atmosphere.

https://piesontheterraces.wordpress.com/2018/04/11/scotland-v-poland/

Aye I see the crowd was quoted at c2200. Usually a good bit less than that. Never really saw where a goal was going to come from. Obviously all the goals came after the sending off, mind you Shelley said the left back was looking tired and was on a yellow so they targeted her. 

The Matildas will be waltzing to France next year after drawing 1-1 with Japan in Jordan last night and finishing top of the group. They were held 0-0 by South Korea then beat Vietnam 8-0. Games in Jordan for the AFC Women's Asian Cup doubling up as WC qualifiers. Top 2 from both groups qualify for France and 3rd placed teams play-off for 5th spot. Qualified China, Thailand, Australia & Japan. Play-off Philippines v South Korea.

• 1 month later...

Wasn't able to watch it live, so I've just finished it now. I managed to avoid the score (sadly not difficult) so I didn't know what was going to happen.

That was fucking magic. What. A. Finish. Cuthbert wasn't letting anything go, Little and Ross showed their talent, Caroline Weir worked her arse off and showed some serious talent and even Lisa Evans, who rips my knittin', played a huge part with the winner.

So sad that the lassies don't get more support, because that ought to go down as a Tartan Army classic.

It all sets up that critical tie against Switzerland after the summer. A two goal win will almost certainly put us in our first World Cup, and with it being in France, that might draw a travelling support. It could be a gamechanger for women's football in Scotland.

If you haven't seen it, at least watch the last 15 minutes: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0b68qjm/live-football-fifa-womens-world-cup-qualifier-poland-v-scotland 

• 1 month later...

Scotland Women are aiming for a record crowd for the crucial Switzerland match, hoping to beat the previous record 4,058 attendance for Scotland v Spain in 2012.

Thursday 30th August at 1935hrs

Adult: £5       Concessions: £2         Group Offer: 20 children and 5 adults: £30

Email: tickets@stmirren.com Telephone: 0141 840 6130.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scotland-v-switzerland-ticket-information/?rid=1227

Free entry for SSC and St. Mirren season ticket holders.

• 4 weeks later...

Depressingly little interest in this. Why should it matter whether those representing our nation at football have ovaries or baws? This is the biggest game either of our full national teams have had since... since this team were in the Euros last summer.

If we make it to France I'm going. First Tartan Army expedition since France 98.

Is this as simple as win and in?

No, even on points with Switzerland and it goes to head to head. Switzerland won 1-0 at home to us, so we now need to beat Albania, and hope Switzerland don’t beat Poland. This isn’t impossible, but the most likely outcome is we will end up in the playoff which will be very tough, only 1 qualifies out of 4 good teams.

Not impossible that Poland could get some sort of result against Switzerland, they are a very difficult side at home. The girls were outstanding on Thursday night, just couldn't get that all important third goal. 

https://piesontheterraces.wordpress.com/2018/09/01/scotland-v-switzerland/

I worry about Scottish players in hot countries. Bad memories of the men in Georgia or Macedonia. 

Still, if Scotland can win they have a decent chance. Poland won't roll over for the Swiss. 

I reckon if we win we are guaranteed a playoff place, at least. Even if we lose we would make the playoffs if Belgium fail to beat Italy or Iceland fail to beat Czech Republic. 

Hopefully the traffic won't be bad and I'll be home on time to see the last quarter of an hour or so. 

Archived