MP or Assistant Referee?

Colkitto

No, it isn't fine: while Parliament is in session (and Ross travels from a Teuchter seat as well) Saturday is the only logical day for hosting constituency surgeries.  Being an MP should typically be a six day a week job: even though the actual working time spent on most weekdays can be minimal. 

I think I'm correct in saying that Westminster tends not to work on a Friday and MPs are expected to be in their constituencies then.

My tuppence worth would be that since all the Tories abstained anyway and he'd have contributed nothing to the day, does it make a difference where he was? A lot of political posturing about this. The point is all about the effect that Universal Credits will have on peoplè and that the vote was essentially a waste of time as it's not binding. Where this guy was is essentially immaterial.

The people of Moray voted Tory; those that decided to ditch the sitting MP can roast in a shite casserole of their own making.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I'm sure there's folk on here having a go at Ross who also argued with me when I suggested that elected Parliamentairians should not have other paid jobs.  Pretty hypocritical eh?

I tend to agree with this. Also no "consultancies", directorships etc. Or maybe I'm just jealous that I've only ever had 1 job at any one time and nobody thought it worth their while to bribe me with a "consultancy".

No, it isn't fine: while Parliament is in session (and Ross travels from a Teuchter seat as well) Saturday is the only logical day for hosting constituency surgeries.  Being an MP should typically be a six day a week job: even though the actual working time spent on most weekdays can be minimal. 

Parliament itself is a Monday to Thursday gig. On Mondays it doesn’t start until mid-afternoon as many MPs spend the morning travelling to London. Mondays and Tuesdays often see parliament starting mid-afternoon and going on until very late at night or even the wee hours. Wednesdays are more of a 9-5 job and then on Thursday evenings MPs travel back home. Friday is “constituency day” and then they have the weekend off. Rinse and repeat.

On 22/10/2017 at 11:54, Donathan said:

Parliament itself is a Monday to Thursday gig. On Mondays it doesn’t start until mid-afternoon as many MPs spend the morning travelling to London. Mondays and Tuesdays often see parliament starting mid-afternoon and going on until very late at night or even the wee hours. Wednesdays are more of a 9-5 job and then on Thursday evenings MPs travel back home. Friday is “constituency day” and then they have the weekend off. Rinse and repeat.

There's occasional sitting Fridays for Private Members' Bills, aka "what piece of half-decent legislation do the Tories want to kill off this week".

It used to be that Scottish MPs couldn't realistically enter the ballot for such a bill because Friday was needed for travel ahead of Saturday surgeries. But cheaper air fares make things a bit easier there.

Says he'll give up refereeing while the Commons are sitting. Much as I despise the Tory c**t it seems a bit unfair that he can't take the odd day off to be a linesman or ref when the likes of George Osborne combined being an MP with full time newspaper editor.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/27/tory-mp-douglas-ross-gives-refereeing-commons-sits-says-world/

He's a snidey wee feckin toad and blends in well with his fellow tories, the night he ousted Angus Robertson he passed the SNP office and stopped to throw a nasty comment through the open door, wee gloating fecker, and recently he was at a dinner and borrowed money from that other shite Mountain saying he had no money with him.

6 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

He's a snidey wee feckin toad and blends in well with his fellow tories, the night he ousted Angus Robertson he passed the SNP office and stopped to throw a nasty comment through the open door, wee gloating fecker, and recently he was at a dinner and borrowed money from that other shite Mountain saying he had no money with him.

It's your civic duty to make all this aware to the relevant authorities. 

On 30/10/2017 at 11:46, SandyCromarty said:

Bet he never even left you a tip.

Archived