Gala Fairydean Rovers / Netherdale blog

Rab B Nesbit

7 minutes ago, BorderJambo said:

Local players playing for the club is definitely a good idea but in practice I’m not sure that the best local players are good enough to survive in the LL. We signed two of the better local based boys in Phil Addison and Tommy Paterson but beyond that I’m not sure what there really is. Previous posters have hit the nail on the head with regards to the local amateur leagues, with most of the better players there probably not wanting to step up to LL

100% and with all due respect, Football is a second sport in this area of the country, for Lowland League survival you need to branch out 

Addison, Patterson, McBride, Miller, Bonnar, Sonkur, Berry and Green are the boys I can think of the top of my head. Some are there already, some would be coming back and one would have to step down. If I've missed anyone feel free to add.

4 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

Addison, Patterson, McBride, Miller, Bonnar, Sonkur, Berry and Green are the boys I can think of the top of my head. Some are there already, some would be coming back and one would have to step down. If I've missed anyone feel free to add.

Miller? Pretty sure he left cause he wasn’t getting game time last season. Seen him play away to EK around December time then didn’t see him again.  Sonkur, isn’t going to drop down from playing over 20 times for Annan last season to a Gala side - more chance of that happening when Dean shanks etc were in charge as he previously played for them, for a brief time at hawick I’m sure. Addison and Patterson both very good players and Gala are lucky to have them. As previous posters said, boys would rather play amateur with their mates than play in the LL - not sure why but it’s the way of the world it seems. The pull of the LL should be greater with the teams now in the league and the competitiveness. 

As for never posting until this week, didn’t see the need, had my account for a while but only felt the need to comment when I heard what happened. That’s the whole point of these forums, is it not? 

I'm only listing players that I know. Players that didn't get a game when Dean was here may now get a game due to the 'Border Players' ethos now being used. I agree that it's unlikely that Sonkur would drop down, but stranger things have happened.

2 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

I'm only listing players that I know. Players that didn't get a game when Dean was here may now get a game due to the 'Border Players' ethos now being used. I agree that it's unlikely that Sonkur would drop down, but stranger things have happened.

every manager has their own opinions etc but if people were unhappy with the football under the old management, do they want to see player playing who were deemed not good enough purely because of where they stay? 

3 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

To be honest I don't care where a player comes from as long as the team is winning, and if they're playing good football along the way then that's a bonus.

exactly, most fans think this way which makes the news more unbelievable

Well I am shocked to the core about the dismissal of the management team!!

dean and his staff are young and very ambitious coaches with a lot of great ideas and where  in my eyes, playing the style of football to suit the resource that they had. A lot of young talented players which kept together, would have only got better. 

To say after one season that there style of football wasn’t right is scandalous and stinks of people who have not got a clue what they are doing. 

If the people in charge think they are going to get players in that are going to play great football on the deck and play from the back week in week out against teams like East Kilbride, Kelty Hearts etc are absolutely bonkers!!! 

Good luck to them. My opinion is that they will need it!!! 

Personally I feel the chairman is calling the shots and tbh hats off to the new management team for wanting put up with that yes men springs to mind think the writing is on the wall for Gala next season hope am proved wrong tho. Replacing a good squad and was only gonna get beta with borders players good luck with that 1.

1 hour ago, RampantFM said:

Nearly a week since the sacking and still next to nothing, minus a brief statement on the website, from the club. Hopefully an announcement soon. 

I assume they'll need to announce the player departures as well, as they had tweeted/facebooked with the news of them all signing new deals. I have heard their whole back 4 are all away. 

5 minutes ago, edinburghbhoy123 said:

Nearly a week since the sacking and still next to nothing, minus a brief statement on the website, from the club. Hopefully an announcement soon. 

I assume they'll need to announce the player departures as well, as they had tweeted/facebooked with the news of them all signing new deals. I have heard their whole back 4 are all away. 

worrying times being a Gala supporter, the image of a well run club with morals and loyalty is rapidly dwindling, and as someone has previously stated, their excellent flow of communication on social media has disappeared overnight 

4 minutes ago, Archie97863 said:

worrying times being a Gala supporter, the image of a well run club with morals and loyalty is rapidly dwindling, and as someone has previously stated, their excellent flow of communication on social media has disappeared overnight 

Spot on. Their communication has always been brilliant, for many years, disappointed in what’s been released in the last week. Hopefully a bit of clarity in the coming days so it’s clear who’s staying and who’s going for next season - and who’s in charge!! 

All of the above are who I have heard are away as well. Pat Scullion as well, who finished the season with the club. So that’s 5 defenders and a goalkeeper all away. Plus the two wide players. From what finished the season I’m not sure if that leaves many more than 5/6 players. 

7 minutes ago, Archie97863 said:

on top of the two from hibs, have also heard Kieran Wason, Scott Main and Dale Baxter are also on their way ... whats even more concerning is the rumour down this way is that there has been no attempt to persuade them to stay

That’s what I have been led to believe as well. The chairman seems happy to let them all go. 

20 minutes ago, edinburghbhoy123 said:

All of the above are who I have heard are away as well. Pat Scullion as well, who finished the season with the club. So that’s 5 defenders and a goalkeeper all away. Plus the two wide players. From what finished the season I’m not sure if that leaves many more than 5/6 players. 

That’s what I have been led to believe as well. The chairman seems happy to let them all go. 

believe their other keeper may be away too all be it unrelated to this situation, so no keeper and a squad of about 7 or 8, good luck to the man coming in ...

14 minutes ago, Archie97863 said:

believe their other keeper may be away too all be it unrelated to this situation, so no keeper and a squad of about 7 or 8, good luck to the man coming in ...

I hope for the sake of the League that another Selkirk debacle is not on the horizon.