Forfar vs Ayr Utd

On 17 October 2017 at 09:46, Hursty said:

2 wins with clean sheets and 2 draws that should have been comfortable wins in the last 4 games, with 10 goals scored. Nowhere as poor as some of the drama queens on here like to make out.

Also we have only failed to score in 1 of 16 games so far this season, which was a midweeker away at Hibs, so I'm pretty confident we will score again in this one. Defence still a concern but happy predict an Ayr win with both teams to score.

Yeah you're right  being 5 points behind a bang average Raith side after the first quarter is fine. In McCall we trust.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Yeah you're right  being 5 points behind a bang average Raith side after the first quarter is fine. In McCall we trust.

35 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

It is fine though, 5 points is f**k all 9 games into the season. No argument we've underperformed but the absolue state folk get in when we don't win is a pure pantomime.

10 minutes ago, WeAreAyr said:

It is fine though, 5 points is f**k all 9 games into the season. No argument we've underperformed but the absolue state folk get in when we don't win is a pure pantomime.

I'd argue that the fact we are only 9 games into the season and already trail Raith by 5 points suggests the gap is only going to widen. If both teams match their results from the first quarter in the next three quarters then we'll finish twenty points behind Raith.

7 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I'd argue that the fact we are only 9 games into the season and already trail Raith by 5 points suggests the gap is only going to widen. If both teams match their results from the first quarter in the next three quarters then we'll finish twenty points behind Raith.

This only makes sense if five points is a large margin which it absolutely is not.  If Raith continue their run of form they'll deservedly win the league, but they probably won't and luckily we have the vast majority of the season to improve and overtake them. Try keep the heid til at least christmas.

The amount of points Raith have has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on our chances of winning at Forfar though. I was pointing out that the folk saying that we were playing poorly and therefore likely to get beat weren't backed up by the stats.

Also, if as you suggest as a possibility Raith do keep their form up and finish on 88 points then by no stretch of the imagination could they be called 'bang average'. That would be an outstanding season.

For what it's worth there is no denying we are under achieving - but having been at both the Alloa and Airdrie draws it's undeniable that on both occasions we really should have won comfortably (and on another day would have). If there had been a lot more performances like the Arbroath one then I'd be a lot more concerned.

I just hope that we are going into the last game of the season with a chance of winning the league.

Got to say one thing though, we are playing some great football at times this season.

Much better than most of what's been offered over the last few years.

Just seen Muffet is 32. Not too sure for a lower league veteran, is 100 goals not a little low on the count for his age?

He only signed for us when he was 25 I think. Was playing juniors before that.

5 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

He only signed for us when he was 25 I think. Was playing juniors before that.

Think he'd just turned 26 but aye, late bloomer, IIRC we tried to sign him in the summer and Girvan knocked back our offers before we eventually offered more in the January transfer window.

4 hours ago, AUFC 1910 said:

I just hope that we are going into the last game of the season with a chance of winning the league.

Got to say one thing though, we are playing some great football at times this season.

Much better than most of what's been offered over the last few years.

We wont be.

4 hours ago, Hursty said:

For what it's worth there is no denying we are under achieving - but having been at both the Alloa and Airdrie draws it's undeniable that on both occasions we really should have won comfortably (and on another day would have). If there had been a lot more performances like the Arbroath one then I'd be a lot more concerned.

We dont deserve to win games if we aren't putting the ball in the net more times than the opposition. Football is really quite simple to be honest.

6 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

You,re 5 points behind a generally below bang average Raith

We haven,t reached bang average yet.

We dont deserve to win games if we aren't putting the ball in the net more times than the opposition. Football is really quite simple to be honest.

Don't know why you are quoting me and then talking about 'deserving' to win, as I've never once said that.

Anyway - no point in arguing as never gonna agree. We've missed too many chances in recent games but I don't see us all of a sudden ditching Moore, Moffat, Shankland and McDaid and replacing them with guys who never ever miss the target.

My honest prediction is 2 - 2. The enthusiastic side of me says 1 - 3. Keeping a clean sheet seems as likely as having  a comfortable afternoon but if anyone comes out on top it should be the super Ayr.

f**k it, 1 - 3.

17 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

That's hilarious.  Putting the ball in the opposition net has hardly been a problem for us this season, even before we added Shankland.  It's the opposition putting the ball in our net that's the issue.  We're going into games needing to score 3 and 4 to see off teams that will likely be scrambling to avoid relegation.  There is no way we can win the league with that central defence and goalkeeper.  It's pretty obvious that Geggan should be playing in midfield, which arguably means we need to find a right back as well, though Ferguson might yet prove mediocre enough at that level.

1 hour ago, Mgc1910 said:

That's hilarious.  Putting the ball in the opposition net has hardly been a problem for us this season, even before we added Shankland.  It's the opposition putting the ball in our net that's the issue.  We're going into games needing to score 3 and 4 to see off teams that will likely be scrambling to avoid relegation.  There is no way we can win the league with that central defence and goalkeeper.  It's pretty obvious that Geggan should be playing in midfield, which arguably means we need to find a right back as well, though Ferguson might yet prove mediocre enough at that level.

Why would we want Geggan in midfield, he hasnt been anywhere near good enough in there (neither has Doc)

Just now, itzdrk said:

Why would we want Geggan in midfield, he hasnt been anywhere near good enough in there (neither has Doc)

Another one who wants to fix  any part of the team except the one that is actually causing all the problems. 

Archived