Fort William tomorrow

Audaces Fortuna Juvat

Just now, The Moonster said:

Elbouzedi and Calder are first team players, are they not?

Didn't see Calder there, aye he is, Elbouzedi is a bench warmer.

Just now, TheScarf said:

Didn't see Calder there, aye he is, Elbouzedi is a bench warmer.

Still, that's 5 players that will be involved in your first team squad which is about 8 levels above (possibly more) where the majority of Fort's team will have come from.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Apparently Caley fielded a strong team with Robertson raging  after the Hearts pumping.

Here's the team sheet if anyone's familiar with the Caley first team, I'm not.

https://twitter.com/andydskinner/status/1024371846890835970

Farquhar Macrae is an absolutely outstanding name. 

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

He's 17.  Hardly an established starter.

Sounds like half the team at least have played for the first team in competitive matches though. Would have been a serious mismatch versus the Highland League's worst team by far with a very young squad this year. Hopefully the team can grow with experience and get the odd point later in the season. Think they should have opted for the North Caledonian League though.

22 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

A real arsehole stunt from Robbo sending first teamers IMO. Embarassing poor Fort William because he was seething about the Hearts pumping.

His concern is his own club not someone else's surely?

On 01/08/2018 at 11:50, The Moonster said:

Still, that's 5 players that will be involved in your first team squad which is about 8 levels above (possibly more) where the majority of Fort's team will have come from.

Technically it's only three tiers, but that doesn't begin to cover the gulf between them. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Aye, I was aware of that actual levels between the sides but I'd say the gulf in quality must be closer to 8 levels than 3.

As others have said its not Robertson's fault that the opposition were going to be poor what was he meant to do sent a team of under 10s.

12 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

As others have said its not Robertson's fault that the opposition were going to be poor what was he meant to do sent a team of under 10s.

I haven't commented on Robertson, he's obviously free to do what he wants with his squads. I was just pointing out that the 16-0 is a bit more understandable when you see that ICT had first team squad members in the line up.

But, seen as you've asked, I would think sending the under 10's would be a bit cruel on the 9 year olds having to play against grown men. Conversely, I also think it's a bit cruel sending first team players to play a team that is widely documented as the worst in senior Scottish football.  I doubt the ICT first team players learned much and I doubt Robertson learned much about them either.  

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

I haven't commented on Robertson, he's obviously free to do what he wants with his squads. I was just pointing out that the 16-0 is a bit more understandable when you see that ICT had first team squad members in the line up.

But, seen as you've asked, I would think sending the under 10's would be a bit cruel on the 9 year olds having to play against grown men. Conversely, I also think it's a bit cruel sending first team players to play a team that is widely documented as the worst in senior Scottish football.  I doubt the ICT first team players learned much and I doubt Robertson learned much about them either.  

The first teamers in that side were young guys who I imagine would spent most of their time on the bench when the regular league season starts, some of them were in their squads for the Betfred Cup games but doubt they would all start in the Championship.

Out of that side only two of them played against us in the Betfred Cup both coming off the bench in the 2nd half - Oakley and Trafford while McCart, who granted was was probably the most experienced player in the squad, and Elbouzedi were on the bench but not used. So I would class it as a genuine Inverness reserve side.

As you say Inverness will have taken nothing out of it other than a run out for their players but I don't really see how they could have put a much weaker side out.

On 01/08/2018 at 15:58, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

A real arsehole stunt from Robbo sending first teamers IMO. Embarassing poor Fort William because he was seething about the Hearts pumping.

This is bang on. Nobody gets anything from the game.

As an aside I’ve been involved in amateur games where we have played very weak opposition in cups and as soon as the score gets to 6/7/8 you demand that you just keep the ball. To continue to be ruthless is a dick move - especially when you’re full time against absolute dross.

8 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

The first teamers in that side were young guys who I imagine would spent most of their time on the bench when the regular league season starts, some of them were in their squads for the Betfred Cup games but doubt they would all start in the Championship.

Out of that side only two of them played against us in the Betfred Cup both coming off the bench in the 2nd half - Oakley and Trafford while McCart, who granted was was probably the most experienced player in the squad, and Elbouzedi were on the bench but not used. So I would class it as a genuine Inverness reserve side.

As you say Inverness will have taken nothing out of it other than a run out for their players but I don't really see how they could have put a much weaker side out.

Not sure how you can decide the quality by who was given a run out against your lot.

On other news, Caley are now considering applying to the HL to see if they could enter a colt team into the League. :lol:

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/1532414/caley-thistle-open-to-possibility-of-colts-team/

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Muzza81 said:

It isn’t a dick move at all. It’s only a dick move if you’re showboating. You’d rather lose 16-0 than 7-0 with a team just moving the ball around? 

It's a dick move for Caley to put anything other than their youth squad into the North Cup. It's like the Dad on the fast show beating his kids at arm wrestling.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

It's a dick move for Caley to put anything other than their youth squad into the North Cup. It's like the Dad on the fast show beating his kids at arm wrestling.

You’re not going to get an argument from me. You’re bang on.