Fort William tomorrow

Audaces Fortuna Juvat

On 20/12/2017 at 13:48, cmontheloknow said:

yes and no. Not sure if (all) shinty teams charge? If not, it's more akin to the amateurs.

All premier league teams charge. Usually a fiver or something taken by someone at a table into a Tupperware box. The smaller teams probably don't.

17 hours ago, afca32 said:

Does John MacLeod not live in Thurso or am I making that up?

If you were going to make up a place for someone tp live would you not choose Monte Carlo or something similar?

• 4 weeks later...

The biggest issue is money.

Fort William cannot financially compete with other HL teams. The likes of your Brora, Formatine etc can afford ex pros, newly released top league youths etc due to a strong financial backing whereas Fort have to scour the amateur or junior leagues. Until money goes in at the bottom end or is taken away at the top end there is going to be such a large gulf!

On 04/12/2017 at 21:35, invergowrie arab said:

If it was up to me I would give the Bught over to football full time. With Kingussie heavily investing in their ground and facilities it could soon become the Norths go to shinty facility.

I have no idea what the relationship between football and shinty is in FW but see no reason why it couldn't work. Works well enough in Oban.

Hopefully, the Bughts actual surface isn’t the best despite coming across as aesthetically ineffective whereas the dell is heaven.

From what I know from current Fort shinty players maybe 1 at a push would be playing football if no shinty? So don’t really think the shinty v football argument that somebody said previously holds up. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was having the discussion the other day, that with the Lowland League, it includes sides who aren't as big as some non-league/junior sides.  For example, Linlithgow Rose, Auchinleck Talbot, Bo'ness, Pollock etc. are bigger than some Lowland Leagues sides.  There aren't really any non-league northern sides who are bigger than teams in the Highland League.  The exception being Banks O'Dee and I wonder how long that'll stay.

4 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I was having the discussion the other day, that with the Lowland League, it includes sides who aren't as big as some non-league/junior sides.  For example, Linlithgow Rose, Auchinleck Talbot, Bo'ness, Pollock etc. are bigger than some Lowland Leagues sides.  There aren't really any non-league northern sides who are bigger than teams in the Highland League.  The exception being Banks O'Dee and I wonder how long that'll stay.

I'd replace 'some' with 'all'. You could make an argument for the Shire I suppose but they seem to have lost their identity since selling Firs Park and  becoming a tenant at Ochilview. Talbot, Bo'ness, Linlithgow , Bonnyrigg etc are the main draw in their own town, big Senior clubs apart. Pollok however really struggle to make much headway in the local area and in the end probably have one of the largest geographical spreads when it comes to where regular fans come from - I would guess a significant proportion live too far away to walk.

On 24/01/2018 at 22:29, HibeeJibee said:

Whoever was on about Banks o'Dee - they proved their credentials brutally tonight thrashing Deveronvale 7-0 in Aberdeenshire Shield SF.

They've no interest in promotion to the HL according to the Chairman. From the Press and Journal:

Banks o’ Dee chairman Brian Winton says his club has no interest in joining the Highland League.

The Spain Park club has been tipped as a possible replacement should a Highland League title-winning team making it successfully through the SPFL play-offs.

The uncertainty over Fort William’s future could also open up a potential spot in the Highland League but Winton says his club is keen to focus on youth development rather than trying to climb the pyramid. The Aberdeen juniors boast a 100% record in the North Region Superleague and reached the final of the Aberdeenshire Shield with a 7-0 thumping of Deveronvale on Wednesday.

Dee also made it to the third round of the Scottish Cup with home victories against Linlithgow Rose, Selkirk and Huntly before losing 6-2 at home to Ayr United, after twice leading the League 1 side.

Winton said: “My view is that I am trying to build a club that is going to be sustainable for years.

“Getting all the infrastructure in place and creating a stable base is our focus. If we went into the Highland League we would need to increase our budget.

“That would make it difficult to carry out the upgrades we want to our facilities as we would have to spend more money on wages and buses.

“My own view is that the Highland League is made up of a mixture of amateur teams, junior teams and Highland League teams and I don’t see the attraction of going into that league.

“I’m not sure that the Highland League in its current format is going to be sustainable.

“If Cove Rangers are promoted to the SPFL through the pyramid system that will leave another gap because they are one of the top teams, so over time the strength of the division is being diluted.”

Winton has also noticed a difficulty in attracting young players to his club.

He said: “My worry is that we are the only club doing development with youngsters from five upwards.

“We don’t have the same volume of youngsters coming through and there is definitely not the same interest in kids playing football.

“They seem to prefer to play computer games instead.

“We are already beginning to see Highland League clubs such as Deveronvale, Buckie Thistle, Huntly and Turriff United all struggling to attract players from Aberdeen because there is just not the volume of players there used to be.”

From the P&J Doesn't look good for Fort William

Future of Fort uncertain as all six directors to step down
by Reporter
January 26, 2018, 6:59 am

The future of Fort William Football Club hangs in the balance after it emerged that all six directors will step down at the end of this season.

Among those stepping down are Stewart Maclean and Gerald McIntyre, who have contributed significant sums of money over the last five years to keep the club afloat.

Secretary Marie McMillan, Michael MacEachen, Stewart Leitch and Ronnie Maclean will also be standing down.

Fort William made an appeal last April to attract new volunteers to help run the Claggan Park club but with little success.

The Lochaber outfit’s existence is now in doubt if a new group is not found to take on the responsibility of running it.

Stewart Maclean said: “After a five-year commitment I do not wish to continue underwriting, with a fellow director, the funding of the club.

“More importantly, I do not have the time required to continue attending to the day-to-day business of the club but I will meet all of my obligations to the club until the end of this season.

“Fort William FC is an asset to Fort William and Lochaber, something that we all recognised when we became involved five years ago, and hopefully a new board will step forward.

“A lot of work has been done over the last five years in structuring the club and the new board will benefit from these endeavours.”

Fellow director Ronnie Maclean said: “It is time for the next generation to step up and ensure the future of a West Highland football team in the Highland League.

“There are important decisions to be taken over the next few months. The out-going directors have all confirmed that they will give every support to the new board and new committee members.

“By advising of our decision at this time we believe that the new board will have time to settle in before the start of the 2018-2019 season.”

Highland League secretary Rod Houston said: “The league is very concerned about the news and we can only hope that the Lochaber community rallies round its football club.”

Fort William secretary and director McMillan said: “As we step down we wish to take the opportunity to acknowledge the commitment and work of the small band of volunteers, the management team, the dedicated squad of players and the support of the many club sponsors and loyal supporters.”

Any individual or group wishing to take the club forward should, in the first instance, call 07836 608 089 or 07803 049 571.

It really does look grim this time, I have to say. I watched Fort up at Fraserburgh at the beginning of the month. The management team were their only listed subs, and there was absolutely no support whatever. A couple of their players looked seriously unfit (through injury).

Club seems to be really struggling to maintain their presence at this level. Fingers crossed a solution can be found but looks bad.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

They've no interest in promotion to the HL according to the Chairman. From the Press and Journal:

I take it he wasn't chairman when they applied a few years back then?  In hindsight, it looks like they've had offered the league more than Strathspey Thistle.

7 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I take it he wasn't chairman when they applied a few years back then?  In hindsight, it looks like they've had offered the league more than Strathspey Thistle.

Thistle was chosen for it's geographical location I think. Don't know why Turriff and Formartine got in instead of BoD though. Formartine's ground was a bog for the first few years, more games postponed than Fort William. Turriff and Pitmedden are a pain in the Arse to get to as well. I hope Thistle and Fort William survive if only for the good away days from Inverness.  

Edited by welshbairn

There was a "gentlemen's agreement" that 1 North of Scotland club would be admitted, so when the 4 in question applied Strathspey were a stick-on.

Given BoD had all their facilities in place, unlike Formartine or Turriff; were already Aberdeenshire FA members; played in U20s league; posted good results in the Aberdeenshire Cup, Shield and Scottish Cup; and were North Junior Superleague holders and leaders (with the others mid-table or even in 2nd level); coming last caused widespread surprise. Some of course concluded they were seen as a 'threat'.

Good luck to FW.

That sounds pretty ominous for Fort William.

Best of luck to them and I'm sticking to my promise to try and get up and watch them before the season is out.

What are the realistic chances of them being able find a group of hardy volunteers who are able to commit the time and effort required in running the club for next season and beyond?

3 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Not sure but it would be understandable if a "f**k the Highland League" attitude grew out of their not getting admitted.

11 hours ago, footiefanboy said:

From the P&J Doesn't look good for Fort William

Future of Fort uncertain as all six directors to step down
by Reporter
January 26, 2018, 6:59 am

The future of Fort William Football Club hangs in the balance after it emerged that all six directors will step down at the end of this season.

Among those stepping down are Stewart Maclean and Gerald McIntyre, who have contributed significant sums of money over the last five years to keep the club afloat.

Secretary Marie McMillan, Michael MacEachen, Stewart Leitch and Ronnie Maclean will also be standing down.

Fort William made an appeal last April to attract new volunteers to help run the Claggan Park club but with little success.

The Lochaber outfit’s existence is now in doubt if a new group is not found to take on the responsibility of running it.

Stewart Maclean said: “After a five-year commitment I do not wish to continue underwriting, with a fellow director, the funding of the club.

“More importantly, I do not have the time required to continue attending to the day-to-day business of the club but I will meet all of my obligations to the club until the end of this season.

“Fort William FC is an asset to Fort William and Lochaber, something that we all recognised when we became involved five years ago, and hopefully a new board will step forward.

“A lot of work has been done over the last five years in structuring the club and the new board will benefit from these endeavours.”

Fellow director Ronnie Maclean said: “It is time for the next generation to step up and ensure the future of a West Highland football team in the Highland League.

“There are important decisions to be taken over the next few months. The out-going directors have all confirmed that they will give every support to the new board and new committee members.

“By advising of our decision at this time we believe that the new board will have time to settle in before the start of the 2018-2019 season.”

Highland League secretary Rod Houston said: “The league is very concerned about the news and we can only hope that the Lochaber community rallies round its football club.”

Fort William secretary and director McMillan said: “As we step down we wish to take the opportunity to acknowledge the commitment and work of the small band of volunteers, the management team, the dedicated squad of players and the support of the many club sponsors and loyal supporters.”

Any individual or group wishing to take the club forward should, in the first instance, call 07836 608 089 or 07803 049 571.

It's very sad, but maybe the time has come to let it go. I said on the "Chester" thread. Times change the town can't support a club at that level without external money.

There's nothing wrong about being amateur or junior. Take the pressure off and just play.

11 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It's very sad, but maybe the time has come to let it go. I said on the "Chester" thread. Times change the town can't support a club at that level without external money.

There's nothing wrong about being amateur or junior. Take the pressure off and just play.

Me and you serge. Let's take it on. They could be in the champions league by 2030.

In any case  they are bound to have a decent drinks cabinet.

12 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Me and you serge. Let's take it on. They could be in the champions league by 2030.

In any case  they are bound to have a decent drinks cabinet.

Could I add my debt too theirs? I think that might have been tried elsewhere though.

It's all very ominous. The Lochaber welfare league seems to have gone as well. Maybe a return to NCL with local players might be the only option. Sad, but ultimately if you can't get a team on the park then there's little that can be done if there's no backing from the town.