Fort William tomorrow

Audaces Fortuna Juvat

17 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Not being funny but unless it requires ambulance attandance, move him onto the sidelines and get on with it. Injuries are commonplace in football and the only time games usually get abandoned is when there is such a delay due to being unable to move the player in question. I've been at one which resumed despite a lengthy wait for an ambulance to arrive (broken leg). Maybe the weather gave the ref an excuse in this scenario though.

Just now, cmontheloknow said:

Not being funny but unless it requires ambulance attandance, move him onto the sidelines and get on with it. Injuries are commonplace in football and the only time games usually get abandoned is when there is such a delay due to being unable to move the player in question. I've been at one which resumed despite a lengthy wait for an ambulance to arrive (broken leg). Maybe the weather gave the ref an excuse in this scenario though.

I think it was the standing water, Claggan Park is a bog.

I suppose its worth having the league an utter farce so some football hipsters can go and ironically watch a game

If the Highland League were willing to introduce some form of relegation and promotion system then I highly doubt anyone would disagree with it. As it stands they don't, and seem quite happy to continue having members who are quite clearly Sunday league standard.

The powers that be value a closed shop over a competitive league.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

If the Highland League were willing to introduce some form of relegation and promotion system then I highly doubt anyone would disagree with it. As it stands they don't, and seem quite happy to continue having members who are quite clearly Sunday league standard.

The powers that be value a closed shop over a competitive league.

The Highland League is quite split on what to do, it certainly isn't of one mind. The Stables plan a few years ago for splitting into 2x 10 divisions wasn't quite 50/50 but with only 18 votes you would only have had to sway a couple of votes to the split side and it would of passed.

The compromise of splitting if they ever exceed 20 members is probably the best bet for any change. The problem with that is no one is applying. Any North Caledonian League side would struggle in the bottom half of the table. And the Aberdeen North Super League clubs seem content playing the majority of their games in the greater Aberdeen area.

The North of Scotland really needs the North of Tay East Region Juniors to add some quality to that side of the pyramid.

Highland League table for the last ten years so far...

image.thumb.png.fbea8e73b58cc483a33a9eaa1a9c38ca.png

North Region Super League table for the last ten years so far...

image.thumb.png.3db8669dc0d974023872c0dc2dd69b0a.png

1 hour ago, humphrey said:

the Tayside clubs are NOT going north en bloc. only MUPPETS that suggest it would do that and theres plenty of them on here.

Doesn't matter who's on here saying what. It's the ones that created the Highland/Lowland League boundary in the first place you have to worry about.

23 hours ago, humphrey said:

the Tayside clubs are NOT going north en bloc. only MUPPETS that suggest it would do that and theres plenty of them on here.

Good point, the Tayside district clubs won't be moving en bloc. Only those north of the mid-point of the Tay Bridge will be in Highland territory. That was your point, wasn't it, mate?

• 2 weeks later...

Fort William look like hitting 200 goals conceded this afternoon, 11-1 down with 15 minutes to go, 2 more needed.

Finished Turriff 12 FW 1. 199 goals conceded, GD 182

Edited by welshbairn

After having to abandon my trip to Berwick to follow Peterhead yesterday headed over to the Loco,s v Lossie game. Was standing just along from the small group of Lossie fans who I must say  encouraged their team at every opportunity despite a 7-0 defeat think the 0 was the only thing they were expecting. Not sure if the guy along from me was a Inverurie supporter but he was cheering every miss late on as he had a bet on 7-0. A entertaining afternoon for the neutral.

12 hours ago, peternapper said:

After having to abandon my trip to Berwick to follow Peterhead yesterday headed over to the Loco,s v Lossie game. Was standing just along from the small group of Lossie fans who I must say  encouraged their team at every opportunity despite a 7-0 defeat think the 0 was the only thing they were expecting. Not sure if the guy along from me was a Inverurie supporter but he was cheering every miss late on as he had a bet on 7-0. A entertaining afternoon for the neutral.

I saw Lossiemouth play Clach once a few years back and there was one fan who spent the entire game (literally the entire game!) shouting 'MON LOSSIIIEEEEE!'.  Some man.

One of the Lossie supporters had the 7-0 lucky score ticket bought before the game. Was probably him.

Lossie have done 8’s and a 9 at Inverurie in recent years so 7 was a good afternoon. Could have done without giving them the early goal as Locos didn’t like it when they’d to work for their win at The Bernagow earlier this season. Weird sense of entitlement with that lot.

8 hours ago, boulderdomb said:

Will Fort William ever become a better club? Is the will/ability there or is all the attention for being so poor taken over?

Their challenge is attracting better players - where will they come from? Shinty is a big participation sport competing for youngsters, for a start. So the talent pool is already diluted. I live and work in an area with shinty teams but it seems to be nowhere near the level of it in the Fort. So they end up casting the net far and wide, generally in the direction of the Inverness amateurs where the players usually are not good enough - and those that are move on to better clubs closer to home. Getting players to commit has been a problem in the past. My stats for Highland are a bit behind right now but by Sept 15th they had used 34 players. A couple of other teams, Rothes and Clach had used 24.

Watching games at Claggan is fine as a football tourist but I'd not fancy it much every week. I'll go again but the one game I was at had barely 30 people at it and that included away supporters.

I don't see things changing much any time soon.

At the last count - and this is by no way complete as I've still a dozen or more games to add to the database for this season - Fort were well beyond 50 players used this season. I would be surprised if there's more than a few teams in the league even gone through half of that. 

On 25/03/2019 at 06:47, cmontheloknow said:

Watching games at Claggan is fine as a football tourist but I'd not fancy it much every week. I'll go again but the one game I was at had barely 30 people at it and that included away supporters.

I don't see things changing much any time soon.

The annoying thing for me is that the spectators are kept so far away from the pitch, even on the rare occasion a game isn't postponed. No idea what that's about. 

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The annoying thing for me is that the spectators are kept so far away from the pitch, even on the rare occasion a game isn't postponed. No idea what that's about. 

On my visit last season, the pitch was laid out with the stands at each end (becaue of drainage problems I think?) so the touchline was close but obviously that's not the usual.