Fort William tomorrow

Audaces Fortuna Juvat

33 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Pleased that the Fort will carry on at HL level.

Hopefully a way can be found for them to be more competitive next season. The Fort side I saw once or twice this year on my travels seemed to consist of the best players from a pub team, some randoms pulled in from the bus queue outside, and Iain Foggo.

When they do get a decent player or two they're quickly snapped up by other HL teams who can pay a bit more.

2 hours ago, EdTheDuck said:

It still requires 34 match days though, so the lack of match days will still be a problem if there is a winter with a lot of postponements.

Winters can pretty random but there's no need for a lot of the postponements we're seeing. Games called off early in the day, or the night before, and pitches which could be made playable not being looked after. Not to mention several suspected injury-related call-offs. Lossie haven't had a home game postponed in three seasons and, while we're on the coast and sheltered from the worst of the snow, we're not immune to rain and the rest of it and almost certainly have less resources both financial and human to look after the pitch than most other clubs.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-43975241

Fort William FC to continue playing in Highland League

Image copyright Science Photo Library

Fort William FC has announced that it intends to continue playing in the Highland League.

Club officials have held a series of public meetings on the future of the club. One option considered was to go amateur.

Fort William FC was established in 1974 and secured its place in the Highland League in 1985.

On social media, the club said it was "delighted to announce" it would continue playing in the league.

It added: "After a few public and committee meetings it was decided this was the best for the club and we look forward to welcoming all to Claggan Park in the near future."

The club has finished bottom of the Highland League 14 times in the last 20 years.

That number includes this season which, with one game left to play, sees the club 10 points adrift at the bottom.

I'm glad to see them get a new committee involved that will see them continue, and continue at Highland League level no less.  It was looking a little dodgy for a spell.

The finishing bottom 14/20 bit does highlight the need for a feeder to the Highland League though.

10 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I'm glad to see them get a new committee involved that will see them continue, and continue at Highland League level no less.  It was looking a little dodgy for a spell.

The finishing bottom 14/20 bit does highlight the need for a feeder to the Highland League though.

For any feeder to be viable, consideration needs to be made of the quality of those below (on and off-field). The HFL demands that entrants have floodlights does raise the bar somewhat higher than that asked by the Lowland League for promoted clubs.  I know the reason for this, but having such a large league increases the need for midweek games outwith the mopping up period (now) at the end of the season. Make Highland smaller = less need to play midweek in Feb etc... therefore less need for floodlights.

8 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

For any feeder to be viable, consideration needs to be made of the quality of those below (on and off-field). The HFL demands that entrants have floodlights does raise the bar somewhat higher than that asked by the Lowland League for promoted clubs.  I know the reason for this, but having such a large league increases the need for midweek games outwith the mopping up period (now) at the end of the season. Make Highland smaller = less need to play midweek in Feb etc... therefore less need for floodlights.

I don't know if it's still true but, in England,  there certainly used to be clubs in the feeder leagues whose grounds did not pass muster for the National League or even NL clubs who couldn't be promoted to League 2 because their grounds weren't up to scratch.

If the Juniors & NCL were invited to join the pyramid on the understanding there'd be no promotion without necessary license, surely some of the clubs would be ambitious enough to start work on reaching the desired standard. If nothing is done to encourage them, they'll do nothing.

As it stands, there's no reason why the HFL couldn't be 16, there's nothing stopping, say FWFC & Strathspey playing in the North Junior Superleague for example, to get a 16 in the HFL. That would see 3 licensed clubs at level 6 in the North

• 2 months later...

11-1 one isn't anything out of the normal for Fort William, but when it's Rothes that are involved in dishing it out, it's ominous, to say the least. The SFA really need to step in and enforce some sort of restructure to form a more credible tier 6 set up north of the Tay.

Lossie could be fighting Fort for 2nd bottom place this season.

Good start for us but having watched highland league football for over 30 years that was probably the worst Lossie team I have ever seen.

On a brighter note, good to see Shaker has finally bought himself a fitba top that fits him :lol:

Edited by Vale Vale Vale

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 19:43, LongTimeLurker said:

11-1 one isn't anything out of the normal for Fort William, but when it's Rothes that are involved in dishing it out, it's ominous, to say the least. The SFA really need to step in and enforce some sort of restructure to form a more credible tier 6 set up north of the Tay.

Rothes are a stronger team than in recent years but 11-1 is still a thumping. Fort have had their problems but there seemed to be a positive attitude coming form them through the summer. I hope they react to this and move forward.

13 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Apparently they are currently 15-0 down at home to ICT reserves in the North of Scotland Cup.

edit - 16-0 FT.

Apparently Caley fielded a strong team with Robertson raging  after the Hearts pumping.

Here's the team sheet if anyone's familiar with the Caley first team, I'm not.

https://twitter.com/andydskinner/status/1024371846890835970

Edited by welshbairn