Fort William tomorrow

Audaces Fortuna Juvat

On 24/01/2018 at 22:29, HibeeJibee said:

Whoever was on about Banks o'Dee - they proved their credentials brutally tonight thrashing Deveronvale 7-0 in Aberdeenshire Shield SF.

Haven't found out what level of team Vale put out for that, but they pumped Huntly 4-1 today. BoD got beat 2-0 by Dyce Juniors. :lol: Fitba's weird up North. Partly because teams sheets change every week, especially in the Shire with players working offshore.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 26/01/2018 at 18:13, welshbairn said:

Not sure but it would be understandable if a "f**k the Highland League" attitude grew out of their not getting admitted.

According to information released last week, summarising the responses of all Junior Clubs,  BoD has voted "Yes" to the the SJFA's questionnaire, regarding joining the pyramid.

For full details see the "Future of the Juniors"  P&B thread. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

What’s the latest on Fort?

Do they have a future next season? 

I went to the recent home game vs Huntly. About 30 people there, including away fans (maybe 10-15?), non-stripped players and committee.

k3q2vp.jpg

2sadu8p.jpg

33de0xu.jpg

8x7zno.jpg

2rr8kzb.jpg

jr7gd3.jpg

Edited by cmontheloknow

57 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

I went to the recent home game vs Huntly. About 30 people there, including away fans (maybe 10-15?), non-stripped players and committee.

k3q2vp.jpg

2sadu8p.jpg

33de0xu.jpg

8x7zno.jpg

2rr8kzb.jpg

jr7gd3.jpg

Seriously, the rest of the league, the SFA and fans of other HFL clubs should all contribute to keeping them going just for the setting.

Seriously, the rest of the league, the SFA and fans of other HFL clubs should all contribute to keeping them going just for the setting.

It's a cracking away day, but the denizens of Fort Bill seem worse than apathetic about the club and football in general (given the Lochaber Welfare League appears to have gone). Unless Fort can drum up some local support, I can't see how they're sustainable. It'll be gutting if they do resign from the league. I do wonder if a team of locals might fare better in the NCL, yes, there's still travelling, but the standard is lower and there's less games and more cups to win, so might generate a bit of local interest. Keeping the licence would at least allow Scottish Cup entry, as long as the SFA are sensible with how they define commitment to the pyramid...

Noticed this   "The club have notified the Highland League that they are likely to resign from the competition at the end of the current campaign. The club have an EGM this week to decide whether the club will join either the Scottish Amateur set up or rejoin the North Caledonian League. Another option, should there be no offers of new blood and financing, would be to fold the club altogether. "

https://peterrmiles.wordpress.com/2018/04/15/the-struggle-within-fort-william-f-c/

Every time I see pictures of their home ground I find myself saying I need to visit someday. Stunning venue, hopefully the club can go into the NCL and find some success at a suitable level (as the NCL is under SFA jurisdiction, I’d think the club licence would still stand).

If they can't continue in the Highland League, it would be good to see them continue in the North Caledonian. If Wigtown can retain their licence at the moment i'd imagine Fort William could maybe manage it as well. 2 Licenced teams in the NCL could encourage some others to go for one as well.

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 14:21, Born To Run said:

Every time I see pictures of their home ground I find myself saying I need to visit someday. Stunning venue, hopefully the club can go into the NCL and find some success at a suitable level (as the NCL is under SFA jurisdiction, I’d think the club licence would still stand).

I think its one of the top scotttish football trips,should treat yourself

good point for fort away to strathspey last night though they deserved a win imo

On 16/04/2018 at 21:30, FairWeatherFan said:

If they can't continue in the Highland League, it would be good to see them continue in the North Caledonian. If Wigtown can retain their licence at the moment i'd imagine Fort William could maybe manage it as well. 2 Licenced teams in the NCL could encourage some others to go for one as well.

I went to Fort William a couple of season ago to see a game.  I highly recommend taking the train from Glasgow Queen Street if you can.  Some fantastic scenery and you can sit back and just watch it go by.

From the Oban Times.

Fort William FC future secure but Highland League status in doubt

Fears over the existence of Fort William Football Club have been allayed this week after a ‘positive’ meeting on Monday night but the club’s Highland League status remains in doubt.

Players, club officials and coaching staff met with the board on Monday night to discuss the future of Fort William Football Club (FWFC) amid pressure from Highland League bosses to make a decision on the club’s league status by the end of the month.

It was decided at the meeting that FWFC will continue to exist but its future may lie outwith the Highland League if it fails to secure ‘major financial investment’.

As a result, the club is considering stepping down into the North Caledonian Football League.

Representatives of the club released a statement on Tuesday giving an update on the future of football in Fort William which said that ongoing talks with a new committee have been positive.

That statement read: ‘In recent months the future of FWFC has been in doubt following the announcement that all six current directors were resigning, effective at the end of the current season.

‘This news resulted in two public meetings aimed at generating interested people and ideas who would be willing to fill the void and help move the club forward. The outcome of these meetings has been positive and subsequent committee meetings including new and existing committee along with current players and coaches have been held to investigate the club’s future.

‘Without major financial investment, the Highland League is no longer a viable option and the new committee is investigating moving the team into the North Caledonian Football League. This would significantly reduce the financial burdens while increasing the competitiveness of the team. The committee are focused on the long-term future of the senior team and club facilities along with and incorporating the fantastic youth system already in place.

‘The new club committee are holding one more public meeting on Tuesday April 24 at 7pm at the FWFC Social Club. This is a last opportunity for potential investors and volunteers to come forward and influence the club’s future. This will be the last public meeting before a final decision will be given to the Highland League on Tuesday May 1.’

Anyone with an interest in supporting the club is encouraged to get in touch with a member of the committee and attend the public meeting next Tuesday.

The NCL is surely the best way forward - a bit of success and try to find some supporters? Like I said up thread, almost no home support at the Huntly game, perhaps not even double figures. I saw there were about 60 more at the Formartine game but I assume that was a heftier away support.

3 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

The NCL is surely the best way forward - a bit of success and try to find some supporters? Like I said up thread, almost no home support at the Huntly game, perhaps not even double figures. I saw there were about 60 more at the Formartine game but I assume that was a heftier away support.

Took in the game on Saturday,may be one of the last games seeing Fort in the SHFL.

There was 4 of us up to see the Fort v Formartine game plus there was  a healthy Fort young team sitting behind us in one of the wee stands.

Apart from committee/board members Formartine hardly had any fans there.

Agree with Fort playing in the NCL,makes sense and is more their level.

3 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Took in the game on Saturday,may be one of the last games seeing Fort in the SHFL.

There was 4 of us up to see the Fort v Formartine game plus there was  a healthy Fort young team sitting behind us in one of the wee stands.

Apart from committee/board members Formartine hardly had any fans there.

Agree with Fort playing in the NCL,makes sense and is more their level.

If there were nearly 100 folk at the Formartine game, no idea why they didn't all turn up for the Huntly game then! The below was the entire crowd bar (iirc) one or two beyond me.

2rr8kzb.jpg

3 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Having usually no home games from November to March breaks up the potential supporter's ritual Saturday afternoon.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Having usually no home games from November to March breaks up the potential supporter's ritual Saturday afternoon.

But that isn't the case this year - the game on 17/3 was their 5th home match of the calendar year. I suppose what might have affected the crowd was it being the 3rd in 7 days though, familiarity breeding comtempt etc!