Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Div

      Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

      We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs
Audaces Fortuna Juvat

Fort William tomorrow

Recommended Posts

Unfortunately it depends very heavily on the priorities individual councils - and councillors - put on them.

As noted D&G has numerous 3G pitches: almost every major town now has one.

In contrast the Scottish Borders only has 2 - of which 1 only opened earlier this year and was partly externally funded. Meanwhile there are more plastic hockey pitches than hockey clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2017 at 22:43, HibeeJibee said:

Unfortunately it depends very heavily on the priorities individual councils - and councillors - put on them.

As noted D&G has numerous 3G pitches: almost every major town now has one.

In contrast the Scottish Borders only has 2 - of which 1 only opened earlier this year and was partly externally funded. Meanwhile there are more plastic hockey pitches than hockey clubs.

And why can't football be played on the plastic pitches that you erroneously call "hockey pitches"? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, strichener said:

And why can't football be played on the plastic pitches that you erroneously call "hockey pitches"? 

Errr.... because they’re different :unsure:

hockey pitches are water based so there’s no bounce. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeh, the surface is almost smooth and they're infilled with sand or water. Like in the Olympics.

Plus they've got hockey lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Errr.... because they’re different :unsure:

hockey pitches are water based so there’s no bounce. 

Hockey pitches are not all water based.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HibeeJibee said:

Yeh, the surface is almost smooth and they're infilled with sand or water. Like in the Olympics.

Plus they've got hockey lines.

So back when 2G pitches were the norm, these sand based pitches and even the earliest water based (Chris Anderson & DISC) were used for Football without complaint.  It was even a condition of funding that they were put into multi-sport use.  Aberdeen Football Club used to train on the Keith Park artificial surface which was sand based (and used for Hockey!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the ones in the Borders have never been used for organised football, not even for bounce games.

About 10yrs ago the council commissioned an external agent to produce a report - the "Kit Campbell Report" - into future provision of all different kinds of sport facilities in the Borders, with particular focus on artificial pitches (at that time there were no plastic pitches suitable for rugby or football with 1 underway for Galashiels). It was pretty damning about the over provision of plastic hockey pitches, which it put down to them being chosen for every new high school plus the power of the local hockey lobby and the receptiveness of the council to them... That's where the stat about there being more hockey pitches than hockey clubs comes from. It recommended that no new plastic hockey pitches should be constructed although I think one was still put on Tweedbank athletics stadium.

Ten years on and the only other 3G pitch is at Hawick - opened this year, part-funded by the "Bill Maclaren Foundation". Plans for one at Peebles fell through. There are others in the pipeline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wandered by a shinty game up at Fort William earlier in the year - head count of about 150. It would seem to be a participation sport rather than something hundreds flock to (ok the televised cup finals are busy). The smaller shinty clubs seem to have almost no one watching.

Then again, a top of the table clash here looks very healthy:

 

 

Edited by cmontheloknow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, strichener said:

So back when 2G pitches were the norm, these sand based pitches and even the earliest water based (Chris Anderson & DISC) were used for Football without complaint.  

^^^^^^^

thread in danger of turning into ‘Four Yorkshiremen ‘

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, strichener said:

Hockey pitches are not all water based.

Yeah, I thought sand ones were no longer made but they are. Water based ones seem to be used at the elite levels though. We had a sales presentation  last year and they never even mentioned sand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, strichener said:

So back when 2G pitches were the norm, these sand based pitches and even the earliest water based (Chris Anderson & DISC) were used for Football without complaint.  It was even a condition of funding that they were put into multi-sport use.  Aberdeen Football Club used to train on the Keith Park artificial surface which was sand based (and used for Hockey!)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

I wandered by a shinty game up at Fort William earlier in the year - head count of about 150. It would seem to be a participation sport rather than something hundreds flock to (ok the televised cup finals are busy). The smaller shinty clubs seem to have almost no one watching.

Then again, a top of the table clash here looks very healthy

 

Sounds very similar to Junior football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a time when ash and blaize  pitches were acceptable, Fortunately, these days are gone!

But it does go to show you can play a game of football anywhere. So you could play football on a sand-based  hockey pitch. You could also play hockey on a 3/4 G football pitch.

BUT , A  3/4 g football pitch would not last very long if you played hockey on it and  football could not be safely played to a good standard on a hockey pitch.

A good well maintained all weather pitch is a priceless, and well used, asset even in an area with a smaller population.

It  gives schoolkids teenagers and adults the chance to play under the same conditions as professional footballers. eat your heart out Ally McCoist!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, info said:

There was a time when ash and blaize  pitches were acceptable, Fortunately, these days are gone!

But it does go to show you can play a game of football anywhere. So you could play football on a sand-based  hockey pitch. You could also play hockey on a 3/4 G football pitch.

BUT , A  3/4 g football pitch would not last very long if you played hockey on it and  football could not be safely played to a good standard on a hockey pitch.

A good well maintained all weather pitch is a priceless, and well used, asset even in an area with a smaller population.

It  gives schoolkids teenagers and adults the chance to play under the same conditions as professional footballers. eat your heart out Ally McCoist!

 

The artificial pitches laid in the '80s for English league clubs were what is being referred to here as "hockey pitches".  They may be most suited to hockey but they are multi-sport (including football) pitches.   That there have been technological improvements to the surfaces does not mean that traditional 2G pitches cannot be used for football. 

The bigger barrier to increased use of synthetic grass is the "they cause more injuries" brigade and traditionalists that think football must always be played on grass.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Sounds very similar to Junior football.

yes and no. Not sure if (all) shinty teams charge? If not, it's more akin to the amateurs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, strichener said:

The artificial pitches laid in the '80s for English league clubs were what is being referred to here as "hockey pitches".  They may be most suited to hockey but they are multi-sport (including football) pitches.   That there have been technological improvements to the surfaces does not mean that traditional 2G pitches cannot be used for football. 

The bigger barrier to increased use of synthetic grass is the "they cause more injuries" brigade and traditionalists that think football must always be played on grass.

 

I think the original point was  Fort William and there is no way Senior football teams would be allowed to play  on your multi-sport pitch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, info said:

I think the original point was  Fort William and there is no way Senior football teams would be allowed to play  on your multi-sport pitch

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back on topic, I hope the Fort just write off what is going to be one of their all-time disaster seasons and try ti find a way to becoming a little bit more competitive in the long term.

I saw them a few times last season in HL games, and whilst absolutely chronic at the back, they did have a threat in Scott Davidson (now Rothes) and Sean Ellis ( when home for Christmas from Australia where he normally plays).

Without a strategy beyond just keeping the doors open it's hard to see them lasting in the medium term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mate used to play for them - he was a good player and had played amateur for a few years.  It's really being run on the bare bones though.  As IDB says they have had some good players - Scott Davidson was on trial with us over the summer (cut short when he broke a metatarsal) and they previously had John MacLeod, now of Buckie but bought by Brora, who was a really good player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×