Fort William tomorrow

Audaces Fortuna Juvat

Who knows how some of the  Helen Lovejoy characters on this thread would have coped when Arbroath were dicking Bon Accord 36-0 or Stirling scudding Selkirk 20-0 back in the day. #snowflakes 

Edited by vikingTON

It's sport at a level whewre players are paid to play. Fort William are a side who seem unable to get many locals to either play or watch them. They're kidding themselves on trying to survive at this level unless there's a serious shift in attitude in both player engagement and support. They'll lose 10 or more again this season to teams in their own league. Bear in mind Rothes have already put 11 away. Buckie today? They'll be smarting after two losses on the bounce, including to  an Aberdeen XI (3-0... though due to more important things in Burnley, the Dons ran with a side made up of last year's U20s and most of the new 1st year professionals.)

https://staging.wesoccer.co.uk/fixture/733/line-ups

I've watched football at Fort William and I do wish them well but they just seem to be farting against thunder somewhat.

The local rugby team (Lochaber RFC) plays in the bottom of three divisions of the west regional league, alongside Isle of Mull, clubs in and around Glasgow, and Moffat in the south. Oban Lorne play in the second division, again with Glasgow area teams, Wigtownshire  in the south west, and Millbrae (Ayr).

Is there an North Glasgow-area amateur league Fort William could join? Ok the minimum travel time would be more but there wouldn't be longer trips to Brora, Wick or Aberdeenshire.

And surely there comes a point where the Highland League encourages them (and perhaps Strathspey to make a 16 team league) to drop down to a more suitable level?

2 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Is there an North Glasgow-area amateur league Fort William could join? Ok the minimum travel time would be more but there wouldn't be longer trips to Brora, Wick or Aberdeenshire.

And surely there comes a point where the Highland League encourages them (and perhaps Strathspey to make a 16 team league) to drop down to a more suitable level?

The Scottish Amateur Football League is largely Greater Glasgow & Inverclyde, you've also got the likes of Oban, Campbeltown and Lochgilphead from isolated parts of Argyll & Bute area across that league set up.

If the Highland League was at the NCFL agm to talk about the pyramid set up, maybe the league will look to reduce to 16 teams eventually. It's only going to happen once there's something viable below. Until then it's going to be up to the clubs to decide what's in their best interest.

Considering how close Fort William came to folding or moving to the NCFL this summer, another poor season could see the new board lose interest and those options would have to be considered once more.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

1 hour ago, Cyclizine said:

South Lochaber Thistle play in the Greater Glasgow Premier League. They're based in Kinlochleven.

Is this a relatively new club or just a new league for them? The league website has the archive of league tables back to 2011/12 and they don't pop up until last year in Division 3. Gained promotion and now in Division 2 for this season.

Lost 1-11 to Buckie today, not a good run. At least they scored though, unlike Lossie who were 10 nil down to Wick by half time. Score stayed the same so I assume they called it a day and went down the social for the second half.

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Is this a relatively new club or just a new league for them? The league website has the archive of league tables back to 2011/12 and they don't pop up until last year in Division 3. Gained promotion and now in Division 2 for this season.

They formed a few years back when the Lochaber ammies folded.

And Gordon S - rather than red dotting, put up a contrary point of view. I have been there & watched them this year and this is not a club about to turn the corner.

AND looks like I was correct about Buckie. Did they ease off? Nope.

Edited by cmontheloknow

9 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

It's sport at a level whewre players are paid to play. Fort William are a side who seem unable to get many locals to either play or watch them. They're kidding themselves on trying to survive at this level unless there's a serious shift in attitude in both player engagement and support. They'll lose 10 or more again this season to teams in their own league. Bear in mind Rothes have already put 11 away. Buckie today? They'll be smarting after two losses on the bounce, including to  an Aberdeen XI (3-0... though due to more important things in Burnley, the Dons ran with a side made up of last year's U20s and most of the new 1st year professionals.)

https://staging.wesoccer.co.uk/fixture/733/line-ups

I've watched football at Fort William and I do wish them well but they just seem to be farting against thunder somewhat.

Seeing as you asked...

I think it's insulting to question the attitude of those involved at Fort William. Due to geography they are trapped in a league with teams who are waaaaaay above their level. It's like if Kirkcaldy YM got stuck in the LL, with nowhere else realistically to go. All the attitude in the world wouldn't make any difference, the best players they could attract, giving what they can, would still take regular double-digit hidings.

I'm impressed that Fort William keep going at all. The area needs a football team and a handful of dedicated locals have worked hard to keep them going in the face of insurmountable opposition. I think they should be thanked for what they've done rather than have central belt-based fans of much superior teams basically tell them to pull their socks up.

There was bit in one of the papers today with the manager. He was saying they're getting 25-30 for training sessions just now and don't have a settled first team yet. Hopefully with some games under their belt they can find a line up that's more competitive in games.

The worry is players fall away once they lose the routine of training/games due to weather postponements and these type of results making them doubt its worth the bother. They were struggling to fill the subs bench last year if I remember right.

In better news if anyone fancies saying they have played highland league football you could probably get on the bench if you are up for your holidays.

I wonder if they would be better just joining the Skye and Lochalsh league as Mallaig have done. Only 50 miles to Mallaig on a decent road.

Longest journeys would be 130 mile jaunt to Aultbea to play Gairloch but there seems to be a fair bit of meeting on the middle in this league and games in Portree and Kyleakin.

16 hours ago, GordonS said:

Seeing as you asked...

I think it's insulting to question the attitude of those involved at Fort William. Due to geography they are trapped in a league with teams who are waaaaaay above their level. It's like if Kirkcaldy YM got stuck in the LL, with nowhere else realistically to go. All the attitude in the world wouldn't make any difference, the best players they could attract, giving what they can, would still take regular double-digit hidings.

I'm impressed that Fort William keep going at all. The area needs a football team and a handful of dedicated locals have worked hard to keep them going in the face of insurmountable opposition. I think they should be thanked for what they've done rather than have central belt-based fans of much superior teams basically tell them to pull their socks up.

Well boo hoo.

I have been to a match there, unlike yourself I would suggest. Virtually no one watching from the home side - total head count of 30 including a small bus of away fans that made up the majority. They're not 'trapped' in the league - they're choosing to be there. The area does not 'need' a team at that level - history since coming into the HFL would suggest there is no want or need. They have consistently struggled to get locals to commit and that is not going to change (that is not to detract from those that do but theres not enough of them). They could continue to exist at a level more suited rather than to simply exist, zombielike, for the perverted pleasure of some 'central belt-based' fans.

They could go to the North Caley (which they were considering), they could drop into the Saturday amateurs - South Lochaber Thistle, their nearest club, do this in Glasgow. They could go into a summer league. There are options to continue.

BTW I am not a 'central belt based' fan, nor am I telling them to pull their socks up. I just fail to see the worth in being patronising to them as they flounder again in a semi professional league, patting them on the head and saying 'ach plucky wee Fort, keep at it chums!'

Edited by cmontheloknow

15 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Lost 1-11 to Buckie today, not a good run. At least they scored though, unlike Lossie who were 10 nil down to Wick by half time. Score stayed the same so I assume they called it a day and went down the social for the second half.

Harsh on Lossiescum. It was only 8-0 tbf

Handily their wikipedia page shows their finishing positions in the Highland League since entering in 1985. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_William_F.C.#League_positions

They've finished bottom 16/33 seasons with a highest placing of 11th. Last year was the first time they'd finished bottom since 2013/14.

Much like East Stirlingshire's stints at the bottom of the SFL/SPFL, I think it shows the need for a decent league(s) below rather than the club itself opting to drop to a lower level. Making the move to the North Caledonian might be a good idea theory, but i'd only want to do it knowing there was a chance to return through promotion.

5 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Well boo hoo.

I have been to a match there, unlike yourself I would suggest.

I spent two summers living in Fort William in the 90s and went to all the pre and early season games. I even got a gold and black scarf. I've always looked out for their scores since and have been back for games a couple of times since. I'd liked to have been to more but it's usually not the best way to spend a Saturday afternoon in some of the world's best scenery.

Why were you so presumptuous? I don't understand why you said that.

None of the rest of what you said made any difference. Criticising those involved in Fort William FC is pretty shitty.

11 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Handily their wikipedia page shows their finishing positions in the Highland League since entering in 1985. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_William_F.C.#League_positions

They've finished bottom 16/33 seasons with a highest placing of 11th. Last year was the first time they'd finished bottom since 2013/14.

Much like East Stirlingshire's stints at the bottom of the SFL/SPFL, I think it shows the need for a decent league(s) below rather than the club itself opting to drop to a lower level. Making the move to the North Caledonian might be a good idea theory, but i'd only want to do it knowing there was a chance to return through promotion.

If FW drop into a league with less money and profile, it'll probably kill them. They are only able to keep going because being in the HL brings a certain amount of prestige that can attract sponsors, and I presume they get a slice of the HL's sponsorship too. They can't cut their travel costs by joining another league because there's nothing more meaningfully local, so they are trapped - they either accept their place as perennial also-rans, or they probably fold.